No where in the Bible does it tell us to bless Mary

I received a PM from a member here regarding Mary.

I love to answer to the person and I did, but had asked to discuss in the forums because I don’t like to receive much PM. Well, the person keeps sending me PM regardless of what my request was.

This is a good topic and I thought we all could discuss this:

original post by the person:

Mary had the special priveledge of being the mother of Jesus. She too had to accept Jesus as her persona savior before she could go to heaven. She was in the same boat as the rest of us were before salvation. She was “dead in her sins” Romans 6:23, Eph 2:1-4.

**No where in the Bible does it tell us to bless Mary. **Peter, Paul and the other Apostles never did. If they did were in the Bible does it says so.?

so, I was busy and simply refer this verse to the person to imply that she is the most blessed woman and we ought to honor her for that:

[whereinthebible.org/Luke 1:48](http://whereinthebible.org/Luke 1:48)

the person replied to me instead of opening a thread in the forum:

We are told in Luke 1:48 that Mary is “blessed” among women. But is this blessedness based on something intrinsic to Mary’s own being that separates her from all other women and makes her worthy of such blessedness? Or is it simply based on the fact that God chose her to give birth to the Messiah? The context of Scripture clearly indicates that the latter is the case. Mary’s blessedness was due not to something within her, but rather related only to what God Himself chose to do by allowing her to give birth to the Messiah.

now, I am going to say “Show me where Catholic said her blessedness was due within herself?”

I hope this discussion is meant for better understanding of Catholic’s honoring Mary.

God bless.

Just a few comments.

When somebody says “Peter, Paul and the other apostles never did X” they are assuming that everything Peter, Paul and the other apostles did is recorded in the bible. That is obviously false.

When the person says that Mary was blessed not because of anything in her, but by God’s selection of her, well, yes and no. God’s grace is paramount, of course, but unless one totally rejects the concept of human free will, those who respond to that grace would seem to deserve our recognition for making that choice.

In my strongs the Greek says blessed as in the beatitudes blessed means supremely blessed and in some OT bless means thanked for the Hebrew.

I was a virgin before I was married but I certainly wasn’t a Holy Blessed Virgin as Mary.

The bible uses many words and can be interchange able but we are to give thanks and praise and adoration to God the Father and bless Mary.
Dessert

A a Catholic, I would also agree that Mary is not blessed because she did something or has intrinsic quality that she does on her own. As with us, ANY holiness she exhihbits is because she has been graced by God. It’s just a matter of when that grace gets applied where the disagreement lies.

Until you understand that many Protestants do not really believe in the Incarnation and reject much of what is defined in the Councils about Jesus you will never be able to understand the rejection of Mary.

CDL

You know, I can’t recall ever having blessed Mary? When have I ever said “God bless Mary” or “May Mary be blessed”? I would venture to guess I have *never *done so. :confused:

I do, however, acknowledge Mary’s blessedness (The Blessed Mother, The Blessed Virgin Mary)

And what difference does it make whence that blessedness derives? :confused:

:twocents:
tee

God chose Mary and the angel announced to her the comming of the Holy Spirit to bless her but she did reply and had a choice which makes her human.

We are to bless those who curse us so why not more so Mary our most Holy Mother, who brought us the Divine.

Dessert

No, I will never be able to understand the REJECTION of Mary or are you just saying you reject the concept of Mary being blessed?

The Holy Spirit accepted Mary and He is the third person in the Trinity so I accept.

Dessert

We are told in Luke 1:48 that Mary is “blessed” among women. But is this blessedness based on something intrinsic to Mary’s own being that separates her from all other women and makes her worthy of such blessedness? Or is it simply based on the fact that God chose her to give birth to the Messiah? The context of Scripture clearly indicates that the latter is the case. Mary’s blessedness was due not to something within her, but rather related only to what God Himself chose to do by allowing her to give birth to the Messiah.

The angel called her blessed before she carried Christ.
The angel called her blessed before she agreed to carry Christ.

Mary’s blessedness is due to grace bestowed upon her before the conception of Christ.

Hello,

In Luke 1:28, the angel calls Mary blessed among women. Later in Luke 1:48, we are told of Mary that all generations will call her blessed. Now God’s grace permeated her soul from the first moment of conception, preserving her from the stain of Original Sin and filling her with sanctifying grace. This is made manifest to the world by virtue of her fiat. It is her act, her free will decision that makes her so elevated above every Angel and Saint. Her glory is mirroring God’s.

Now, as far as your friend saying Y didn’t do or say X - that usually is a front for the question - ‘And where is that in the Bible’. It is always best to avoid acquiescing to such tatics. We do not have only the Bible. While the Bible is very good and we should quote from the Bible whenever we can, we have two other sources of Divine Revelation that have exactly the same bearing, weight, importance, and authority as Sacred Scripture. They are Sacred Tradition and the Magesterium.

Care to elaborate or to refer me to more information about this statement?

In Luke’s Gospel, Mary is told that she is “blessed among women” by Elizabeth, under the power of the Holy Spirit. Some manuscripts of Luke also report the angel Gabriel saying the same thing when he greets Mary to report that she has been chosen to be the mother of the Son of God. Whether this belongs or not, we know that the statement is true, for there is no question regarding Elizabeth’s inspired shout.

Now the phrase ‘blessed art thou’ connotes, to our English ears, only that Mary is blessed - but to Aramaic ears, it connotes a great deal more. Mary would have spoken Aramaic, as did most non-dispersed Jews at the time, which is a Semitic language. Semitic languages have all sorts of interesting characteristics, but the one that is of interest to us now is that there was no word in them for ‘most,’ ‘least,’ ‘more,’ ‘less,’ or any other terms of degree. 

To say these things, Aramaic speakers used expressions and forms of speech. If an Aramaic speaker wanted to say that you were smarter than him, he would say, “You are smart to me,” or something similar. To say in Aramaic that a person is the smartest person in the room, one would say “you are smart among them,” or something similar. These are only examples, but hopefully it conveys the point. Given this fact, when Elizabeth, inspired by the Holy Spirit, says “blessed art thou among women,” she is simply saying, in the manner her language required, that Mary is the most blessed of all women. It is a very strong statement. (Note that while it is true that Luke was written in Greek, it recorded Aramaic-speaking people and therefore would have included their idioms, as is made clear by other Semitic idioms that are found throughout.)

The implications of this are staggering. If Mary is most blessed of all women, she must be more blessed then Eve. Eve was blessed in several ways, but one important way was that she was born without Original Sin - born with Grace, in a right relationship with God.  However, Eve fell into sin; she lost that grace. The only way it could be said that Mary was more blessed than Eve would be if Mary was not only born in Grace, which would make her as blessed as Eve, but that she also never fell into sin in the first place – that she never sinned.  From this we get two important truths: first, that Mary was conceived without original sin just as Eve was, and second, that Mary never lost the Grace in which she was made through sin, and thus never sinned in her entire life.  The most blessed anyone could be would be to have God's Grace and to be free of a fallen nature, for then one could follow God perfectly in every way. Eve had this and so she was the most blessed woman ever - nobody else had this incredible blessing of being able to perfectly obey and love God. Mary then came into the world and, by not only having but maintaining this blessing for all of time and eternity, became more blessed than Eve, fulfilling Elizabeth’s inspired words.

Of course, there are several counter-arguments that some may raise against this, but some thought will show why it truly is such powerful statement. The biggest blessing one can possibly receive is God's grace and to be completely in line with what God wants of us. Everything else, especially material and emotional goods, even being able to carry God in one’s womb, pales in comparison to being perfectly in line with God, being without original sin, and without its consequences. A woman could carry God Himself in her womb and still go to Hell because of her fallen nature, her ability to reject God’s salvation, or the possibility that she may never accept it in the first place. Thus, arguments to the effect that Mary’s blessedness lay in the great privilege of bearing Christ fall far short.  

It is important to realize that this is all by the Grace of God – not by any doing of Mary’s.  All people need God's grace. Without grace, we would not even be here right now. Without the free gift of God keeping us in existence, we would simply cease to exist. Even more than that, we are all creatures and do not deserve to see God in Heaven. The very ability to go to Heaven at all is Grace. As was mentioned above, Adam and Eve were created in and by Grace. They had it from the first moment of their existence. It was not simply natural to them to be in God's good favor. It was not natural to them to be able to dwell with God in the garden. That was all grace, even though they had not yet sinned.  Mary certainly needed God's Grace, and the Catholic Church teaches this. She was born immaculate because of It. It was Christ's death on the cross that earned for Mary the Grace of being conceived without Original Sin. His sacrifice on the cross was applied to her at the moment of conception even though it hadn't yet happened, because God is outside of time. Christ's death also saved Moses and Abraham and other Old Testament people before it had actually happened because God can apply the Grace Christ earned early by virtue of His being outside of time. 

So then Mary did need a saviour, she did need Christ's Grace, and the only reason she was conceived immaculate was because of it.

May the peace of our Lord be with you all

Genesis 3:15 “15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.”
It is believed that this passage was the first prophecy of the coming of messiah. Mathew Henry in is bible commentary says of this passage that it is “the dawn of the gospel day: no sooner was the wound given, than the remedy was provided and revealed. This gracious revelation of a Savior came unasked and unlooked for”

One can assume that God already had a plan for Jesus coming in flesh, and already decided he would be the seed of a “woman” yet some how we are asked to think that he wasn’t sure who the woman would be? That he just randomly chose Mary in order to bestow his blessing on her? The angel didn’t say hail you who is about to be blessed, he told her she was already blessed before she even received the message wonder why? The answer is clear when one read Jeremiah 1: 4-5 “4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 5 before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.”

This verse is in complete contradiction with the protestant tradition that teaches that she was just randomly chosen. The bible tells us that God knows us before we are even born! If just for a prophet he had sanctified him before birth wouldn’t he do even more for the one who would carry God the son in her womb?

The bible says there will be enmity between the woman and the serpent and enmity between her seed and the serpent so just as there is no common ground between Jesus and evil, there is also no common ground between Mary and evil why do we pick one part of the verse to accept as prophecy and turn around and make up our own tradition on Mary by ignoring the other part of the same verse? Are we picking and choosing what we want the bible to tell us?

We do not bless Mary but we call her blessed; not because she was so deserving by her actions but because God himself had created her blessed in fulfillment of his genesis 3:15 promise, because in Jeremiah God told us that there is nothing random about us. He has a plan for each of us, and of course we are free to choose to accept it or reject it. The bible cannot contradict itself, it tells us of God, in a continuous line with a beginning and an end. Mary’s story starts in genesis goes trough the prophets, culminate with the gospel and end in revelations, so I believe the Church’s teachings on Mary are not contrary to scriptures.

Lovingly in Christ

I don’t understand your response to my post.

CDL

I’m not sure of what you ask but I will try to respond.

God became flesh to reform humanity. We were created with the Logos (Word) of God as part of our nature. In fact that unity between the divine and fleshly is what makes humans human. Jesus the Logos of God remains with those who are truely reclaiming their humanity. He is most profoundly with us as we consume Him in the Eucharist. Therefore, true humans are true saints. Anything less is not human. Someday, all who are born again will be fully justified, fully sanctified when we enter the presence of God.

Protestants tend to believe that there was no change in the nature of this two legged erect race when Christ came. For many the best we can hope for is imputed righteousness. I.e., we are really being remade, it only looks to God as if we are being remade. Christ is no longer here except in some form of ethereal Spirit who inspires the elect (aka Gnosticism) and someday our souls will float off to heaven. Of course that also fits with their almost virtual denial of the real presence of Christ in holy communion.

This description does not fit all Protestants and/or non Catholics but it does fit most of them.

With Christ’s nature being one when on the earth and another when He ascends to heaven as a majority of non Catholics and non Orthodox believe all we have is a repeat of either Nestorianism or Monophysitism. Nothing new. Just old heresies rewrapped.

CDL

Please rephrase your post as i am not sure. thanks
Do you mean that I need to understand protestant rejection to understand Mary’s rejection? Dessert

Protestants reject Mary as she is understood both in Scripture and the rest of the teachings of the Church. In order for Catholics, like myself, to understand their skewed sense of reality we must understand that they reject the Incarnation and much of the creedal definitions of the Church about the nature of Christ and of our salvation.

It’s not particularly important that we know why Protestants tend to reject Mary unless you are trying to understand Protestantism.

CDL

The Mary discussions are becoming so old. The bible never told me to check my email every day, but i do. The apostles never checked their emails every day…

Let’s have a look at some of the verses that relate to this.

The angel Gabriel who stands in God’s presence:
Luke 1:28 And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

Elizabeth as she is filled with the Holy Spirit: (41 And it came to pass, that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost)

Luke 1:42 And she cried out with a loud voice, and said: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. and again…Luke 1:45 And blessed art thou that hast believed, because those things shall be accomplished that were spoken to thee by the Lord.

Mary Herself as she is also filled with the Holy Spirit:
Luke 1:48 Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

And a woman from the crowds under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit while listening to Our Lord’s message: Luke 11:27 And it came to pass, as he spoke these things, a certain woman from the crowd, lifting up her voice, said to him: Blessed is the womb that bore thee, and the paps that gave thee suck.

Then of course there is Simeon, who prophesied with the baby Jesus in his arms:25 And behold there was a man in Jerusalem named Simeon, and this man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Ghost was in him.

26 And he had received an answer from the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Christ of the Lord. 27 And he came by the Spirit into the temple. And when his parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the law, 28 He also took him into his arms, and blessed God, and said: 29 Now thou dost dismiss thy servant, O Lord, according to thy word in peace; 30 Because my eyes have seen thy salvation,

31 Which thou hast prepared before the face of all peoples: 32 A light to the revelation of the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel. 33 And his father and mother were wondering at those things which were spoken concerning him. 34 **And Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary his mother: Behold this child is set for the fall, and for the resurrection of many in Israel, and for a sign which shall be contradicted; 35 And thy own soul a sword shall pierce, that, out of many hearts, thoughts may be revealed. **

So… no one ever blessed Mary. Unscriptural nonsense.

If we are supposed to venerate Mary, why didn’t Jesus say anything about it in the four Gospels?:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.