No wine at first communion mass?

Hi

Tomorrow is the First Communion Mass at my Church. I am a Eucharistic Minister and asked my priest last week if he needed ministers for the Mass. He said no, as he is not going to offer wine during the Mass. He is not too well, and I think he wanted an easier time. He also thinks it eliminates potential problems e.g. children being unsure whether to take the blood of Christ and being nervous about it. Fr said they could make that decision at a later Mass if they wanted to.

I know there is no requirement that all Catholics take both the body and blood of Christ at communion, but am wondering whether my priest is being unfair by not offering the children that choice on their special day, some of the older Parishoners certainly think this. The decision is definitely dividing our Parish somewhat, as this is the first year this has happened.

Just wondered if anyone had any opinions on this?
Thanks
Simmie

I don't think it is unfair, though I think it's a little unfair the way the parishoners are treating it.

Nope, it’s not unfair. they are receiving the body and blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord in its entirety. He’s making a pastoral decision. And it’s his to make.

In my parish the first communicants receive by intinction. At the rehearsal the previous day, they practice receiving an unconsecrated host dipped in wine so that they know what to expect in terms of flavor when they receive the Precious Blood. This also allows them to receive on the tongue, which is the worldwide norm for receiving Holy Communion, although they are shown how to receive properly in the hand as well.

Intinction is not a Roman Catholic practice ordinarily. It's an Eastern practice.

[quote="triumphguy, post:3, topic:287424"]
Nope, it's not unfair. they are receiving the body and blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord in its entirety. He's making a pastoral decision. And it's his to make.

[/quote]

I agree and I think it's inappropriate anyway. Kids don't know how to treat alcohol, plus they might not even have been properly taught how to receive the Blood during their First Communion classes.

In some countries, they don't even regularly offer the Precious Blood at all.

I made my First Communion 50 years ago, we did not have the wine and we did not feel like we were missing something.

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:4, topic:287424"]
In my parish the first communicants receive by intinction. At the rehearsal the previous day, they practice receiving an unconsecrated host dipped in wine so that they know what to expect in terms of flavor when they receive the Precious Blood. This also allows them to receive on the tongue, which is the worldwide norm for receiving Holy Communion, although they are shown how to receive properly in the hand as well.

[/quote]

This is an excellent idea. :thumbsup:

[quote="triumphguy, post:5, topic:287424"]
Intinction is not a Roman Catholic practice ordinarily. It's an Eastern practice.

[/quote]

It's very much a Roman Catholic practice, though not one we see very often in Canada. In fact, I was taught that in Canada it was forbidden to offer that way because the decision whether to receive in the hand or on the tongue belonged to the communicant, not the person giving out Communion. As far as I know, no such rule exists in Canada, but that's what we were taught. I can vaguely recall reading a document ~10 years ago that said that if the aim of offering Communion by intinction was to prevent reception in the hand it was not to be done, but I can't recall if that was in an official CCCB document or if it was an opinion piece in some Liturgy publication like "National Bulleting on the Liturgy" or "Celebrate!"

GIRM 285 makes it clear that intinction is a perfectly valid option for Communion under both species.

This is such a miniscule issue, I can't imagine why it would divide a parish. The children aren't being deprived of any grace. I bet they don't mind at all. It usually is the parents and grandparents who get very unreasonable about these things, not the kids, which is kind of funny.

[quote="PazzoGrande, post:6, topic:287424"]
I agree and I think it's inappropriate anyway. Kids don't know how to treat alcohol, plus they might not even have been properly taught how to receive the Blood during their First Communion classes.

In some countries, they don't even regularly offer the Precious Blood at all.

[/quote]

There is nothing inappropriate in offering Communion under both species to children. In practice, though, I don't see many receiving that way after they make their First Communion. But it's their choice to make in consultation with their parents.

[quote="Phemie, post:9, topic:287424"]
It's very much a Roman Catholic practice, though not one we see very often in Canada. In fact, I was taught that in Canada it was forbidden to offer that way because the decision whether to receive in the hand or on the tongue belonged to the communicant, not the person giving out Communion. As far as I know, no such rule exists in Canada, but that's what we were taught. I can vaguely recall reading a document ~10 years ago that said that if the aim of offering Communion by intinction was to prevent reception in the hand it was not to be done, but I can't recall if that was in an official CCCB document or if it was an opinion piece in some Liturgy publication like "National Bulleting on the Liturgy" or "Celebrate!"

GIRM 285 makes it clear that intinction is a perfectly valid option for Communion under both species.

[/quote]

Oh right - thanks for the clarification.;)

[quote="simmie, post:1, topic:287424"]
Hi

I know there is no requirement that all Catholics take both the body and blood of Christ at communion, Thanks
Simmie

[/quote]

All Catholics DO receive (not take) both the body and blood of Christ at Communion, whether or not they accept the chalice.

We have never had wine at any of our communions. Priest said it’s “too special” for us to partake.

[quote="Rejoice_Always, post:2, topic:287424"]
I don't think it is unfair, though I think it's a little unfair the way the parishoners are treating it.

[/quote]

[quote="triumphguy, post:3, topic:287424"]
Nope, it's not unfair. they are receiving the body and blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord in its entirety. He's making a pastoral decision. And it's his to make.

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:10, topic:287424"]
This is such a miniscule issue, I can't imagine why it would divide a parish. The children aren't being deprived of any grace. I bet they don't mind at all. It usually is the parents and grandparents who get very unreasonable about these things, not the kids, which is kind of funny.

[/quote]

Excellent point! A mountain out of a molehill.

I recently moved and haven't actually seen a first Communion at my new parish, so I don't know what they do. However, considering all of the logistics and the potential nervousness of the new communicants, I would imagine that they don`t offer both species at their First Holy Communion even though the Blood of Christ is normally available at Sunday Mass.

As a positive side note however, Ive seen many children receive the Blood of Christ very solemnly and reverential at the Masses Ive attended.

[quote="Sandalwood, post:14, topic:287424"]
We have never had wine at any of our communions. Priest said it's "too special" for us to partake.

[/quote]

Huh? :confused: I don't think I'm understanding this correctly. "Too special" for whom?

[quote="simmie, post:1, topic:287424"]
Hi

Tomorrow is the First Communion Mass at my Church. I am a Eucharistic Minister and asked my priest last week if he needed ministers for the Mass. He said no, as he is not going to offer wine during the Mass. He is not too well, and I think he wanted an easier time. He also thinks it eliminates potential problems e.g. children being unsure whether to take the blood of Christ and being nervous about it. Fr said they could make that decision at a later Mass if they wanted to.

I know there is no requirement that all Catholics take both the body and blood of Christ at communion, but am wondering whether my priest is being unfair by not offering the children that choice on their special day, some of the older Parishoners certainly think this. The decision is definitely dividing our Parish somewhat, as this is the first year this has happened.

Just wondered if anyone had any opinions on this?
Thanks
Simmie

[/quote]

Since you asked for opinions: my opinion is that you want to teach the children to receive the Eucharist gratefully, and to defer to the pastor obediently. Anyone who is allowing this to be an issue that would divide the congregation does not understand the whole point of the Eucharist and really is not entitled to an opinion at all.

[quote="creole54, post:17, topic:287424"]
Huh? :confused: I don't think I'm understanding this correctly. "Too special" for whom?

[/quote]

for those of us who are not priests.

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:4, topic:287424"]

[/quote]

I have read on this forum that intinction is forbidden in the US. We are not to do it and if the EMs see people bring the Host to the chalice they are to stop them from "dunking" it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.