No Witnesses for Annulments

Hi everyone, I am new to this site so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place...My husband and I are both Catholic. We are both divorced and remarried civilly. We have been married 12.5 years.

We have begun the annulment process but now are stuck. Neither of us has witnesses for the next step...The only real witness I could have had was my mother.. She saw everything from the start to the end but unfortunately, my mom passed away in 1999.

My husband is in the same position. Both his parents have passed on and the only friend he would have had as a witness no longer speaks with him because she is best friends with his former wife.

When we were married to our former spouses neither one of us aired our "dirty laundry" with people. You just didn't do that. The only ones who saw these things were our parents.. And both sets are now passed on... I guess its pretty much over for the annulment process isnt it? Should we just stop now? Thank you for any advice.

[quote="BaileysMom, post:1, topic:250274"]
Hi everyone, I am new to this site so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place...My husband and I are both Catholic. We are both divorced and remarried civilly. We have been married 12.5 years.

We have begun the annulment process but now are stuck. Neither of us has witnesses for the next step...The only real witness I could have had was my mother.. She saw everything from the start to the end but unfortunately, my mom passed away in 1999.

My husband is in the same position. Both his parents have passed on and the only friend he would have had as a witness no longer speaks with him because she is best friends with his former wife.

When we were married to our former spouses neither one of us aired our "dirty laundry" with people. You just didn't do that. The only ones who saw these things were our parents.. And both sets are now passed on... I guess its pretty much over for the annulment process isnt it? Should we just stop now? Thank you for any advice.

[/quote]

Welcome to CAF!

Don't give up hope. Your process is more challenging but, based on your description, not yet over.

Annulments are customized to the couple, so few of us can give germane advice and certainly don't want to pretend to be a canon lawyer. Catholic Answers Store should have several books on the subject. If you haven't one already, you may want to get Annulments and the Catholic Church by Catholic Answers Live regular guest Dr. Ed Peters, a canon lawyer. It may give you more ideas to help meet the Church tribunal's investigation.

You may also want to ask the tribunal of alternative ways to help, given the passings of the parents.

God bless.

Try this: canonlawprofessionals.com/annulment.html

Thank you for this link. I checked out their website but it says nothing about what they charge for their services…

[quote="Spencerian, post:2, topic:250274"]
Welcome to CAF!

Don't give up hope. Your process is more challenging but, based on your description, not yet over.

Annulments are customized to the couple, so few of us can give germane advice and certainly don't want to pretend to be a canon lawyer. Catholic Answers Store should have several books on the subject. If you haven't one already, you may want to get Annulments and the Catholic Church by Catholic Answers Live regular guest Dr. Ed Peters, a canon lawyer. It may give you more ideas to help meet the Church tribunal's investigation.

You may also want to ask the tribunal of alternative ways to help, given the passings of the parents.

God bless.

[/quote]

Thank you so much for your post.. Do you think it's OK for me to call the Tribunal and speak to the woman handling both our cases and tell her what I've said here? Thanks again

Ask the Canon Lawyer we have in the group as well and see what he can give you for some ideas. He may be able to send you in a direction as well. Your tribunal is a good source. Also are you in touch with any of your bridesmaids? They don’t have to have seen things beginning to end because what counts is time of marriage. While the one witness you mentioned is a strong one some of the others may have noticed little things that they may not have said anything about because they did not feel it was “their place” because you were from a “don’t air your dirty laundry” type circle. You would be surprised what people remember.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.