No wonder Catholics are confused!

I just had a priest stand in my office chatting. In the context of a discussion of a neighbouring community a criminal case was brought up in which I mentioned how disappointed I was in the accused since he was a man I'd met and respected.

His response: "Poor guy, he's probably desperate for money, after all he's got 8 children to care for. I wish he'd do something about that, after all, there is surgery and he doesn't need more children."

Oh my oh my oh my. :mad:

No wonder we need a Year for Priests so desperately! He has gone right to the top of my list to be prayed for today!

[quote="Phemie, post:1, topic:189830"]
I just had a priest stand in my office chatting. In the context of a discussion of a neighbouring community a criminal case was brought up in which I mentioned how disappointed I was in the accused since he was a man I'd met and respected.

His response: "Poor guy, he's probably desperate for money, after all he's got 8 children to care for. I wish he'd do something about that, after all, there is surgery and he doesn't need more children."

[/quote]

*:( Oh my gosh...what? I don't blame you for feeling this way!! I am sadly shocked. *

Prayers for all the priests who's faith is under attack!

A lot of priests do not believe many articles of faith. Sexually morals is but one area. Many priests reject the teaching on transubstantiation and on mortal/grave sins among others. In Canada, the bishops were the most hostile to Humanae Vitae so it does not surprise me a Canadian priest would reflect seminarian teaching in the country that likely has some influence from the bishops and priests that disagree with Humanae Vitae.

[quote="Phemie, post:1, topic:189830"]

[/quote]

Oh my:(.....I really hope he was just having a bad day! I am the eldest of eight and there were times my family had it rough...but that is slightly insulting to families who had more children and made it through.
Prayers for more well educated young men to join the priesthood....I love our seminarians! They are great guys, and make me feel better about the Church here! :)

IMHO the culture of death and it's reasoning, has long reaching tentacles. It permeates generations and across classes. :(

I can’t claim it’s a majority who reject Humanae Vitae but it’s only in the reading I’ve done in the last 12 years that I’ve discovered what the Church really teaches. Before that every priest had more or less (usually more than less) given an approving nod to ABC. Certainly my first memory of a priest speaking on the topic was in university when it was clearly and unequivocally said that you had to follow your conscience and if you had good reason to use it then it was OK. How many of us at 18 would have looked anywhere else for a different opinion?

A few years later I was getting ready to marry and the topic was never even raised beyond the usual ‘are you ready to accept children…" Around that same time, many of my parents’ friends were consulting their priests and being told that they had done their duty so it was perfectly OK for them to undergo a vasectomy or a tubal ligation.

I have never, in all my adult years, heard a priest say “ABC is wrong.” In fact, when I’ve brought up the topic of NFP being offered in our parish I’ve been greeted with smirks that speak volumes.

I live in Canada too, and I remember my very devout Catholic friend at my wedding had four kids (she hsa 6 nows :) ) and she said my priest told her after the wedding "wow, how do you handle 4 kids?" and she took it as though it was unusual for her to have so many kids. She of course told him it was a piece of cake.

I actually had a pastor tell me that his Master's thesis was on how there is no reason to not allow ABC. He told me that his thesis had been placed on the Index. Not sure that he meant the Index in Rome but it was certainly not a thesis that was allowed to be disseminated at whatever seminary he graduated from. He must have defended it successfully since he had his Master's degree.

O Jesus, our great High Priest,

Hear our humble prayers on behalf of your priests. Give them a deep

faith a bright and firm hope and a burning love which will ever increase

in the course of their priestly life.

In loneliness, comfort them. In sorrows, strengthen them. In frustrations,

show them that it is through suffering that the soul is purified. Show them

that they are needed by the Church, needed by souls, needed for the work

of redemption.

O loving Mother Mary, Mother of Priests, take to your heart your sons

who are close to you because of their priestly ordination, and because of

the power which they have received to carry on the work of Christ in a

world which needs them so much.

Be their comfort, be their joy, be their strength, and especially help them

to give witness to and live faithfully the promises of their ordination.

Amen.

Even after reading all the posts in this thread I still have to ask. Are you sure he was a Catholic priest? I’ve never heard such a comment uttered by anyone in the clergy around here.

I’m the parish secretary and he was my pastor for 4 years. Yes, I’m sure he was a Catholic priest.

Satan concentrates his most diabolical attacks on our priests. We need to pray for his soul and for his return to full communion with the Church.

Saint Michael, we humbly ask you to drive the darkness from this priest as you drove the darkness from Heaven. Blessed Mother, please inspire this priest a desire to repent and return to his vital role as faithful teacher and humble intermediary. :highprayer:

So, everyone believes stealing is okay when people have more children then they can afford to support?!:eek:

What was your reply to this priest?

[quote="1ke, post:16, topic:189830"]
What was your reply to this priest?

[/quote]

He was leaving the office as he said it and I didn't have time to say anything -- I was having trouble picking my jaw off the floor.

I know that he once told me that the Winnipeg statement was the best response to Humanae Vitae so I shouldn't have been shocked by his comment but I was.

The statement is very sad, but even more sadly, it’s not an isolated incidence. It doesn’t happen just in Canada.

When by brother and his wife were struggling with the no ABC teaching (they had two very young children, 18 mo apart and the wife was struggling with depression after her father died) they went to a priest for guidance. He said ABC was ok as long as it contained no chemicals :eek: (implying condoms and vasectemies and such were just fine). When my brother told me about this, I said that may be what the priest says, but NOT what the Church says. I directed him to some NFP sources.

Hopefully our young seminarians are more trained in the church’s teachings, and willing to stand up for God’s laws.

I'm sure the surgery the priest was referring to was a hand amputation (a la Mt. 5:30 - "If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away") - (joke)

No, sadly, I'm not at all surprised at this remark - I've heard similar, and worse. I hate to vilify the priests over it, because they, like the rest of us, are products of our culture, and the culture of dissent that has infiltrated the modern Church.

What shocked me was when a young priest actually mentioned contraception as a sin in a homily. What a joy it was to hear it - and how sad that I remained surprised and impressed for so long afterwards. It is telling how rare those incidences are. But I'm hearing (and am seeing some evidence of this) that the new generation of priests are better formed and hopefully better trained, so hopefully my grandchildren will never have to hear what you did.

Pray for the Canadian Priests & Bishops.... and for more men who will serve Jesus as priests.There are many canadian priests/bishops who even TODAY simply reject alot of what the Church teaches... especially when it comes to sexual issues. :mad:

Your brother in Christ,
Zachary

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.