Noahs flood

A coworker said God would never kill his children.I brought up Noah and the flood.he said Satan caused the flood.I brought up Sodom and Gommoroh,and he said Satan destroyed those cities.what do other Caotholics and non Catholics feel about these 2 situations?IAs a Catholic I think God caused both.

you are correct. tell your friend(who i am assuming is a non christian if he is one then he should be ashamed) to look up in the book of genisis and it planly says that God destroyed Sodom and Gamora as well as caused the great flood. it clearly says that God sent 2 angels to Sodom who visited Lot and were attacked by the towns people apon that happening God sent another angel to warn Lot and his family to leave the city. also with the flood God appears to Noah and says tells him to create an ark because the people are too wicked and he is going to destroy the earth.

i think the reason a lot of people have trouble with these stories is because they look at Jesus who says God is merciful and they say how can a merciful God do that. What you have to remember about the old testament is that it was written over a long period of time(3-4 thousand years) by different people who each had his own reason for writing the story. in the case of the genisis stories they were writing while the jews were in exile in Babylon so the writer wrote them to show the jews why God had taken away the promise land from them.

God is Mercy and God is Justice. He has mercy on the righteous and He chastises the wicked. We reapt what we sow.

Scriptures plainly state that God caused both. However, in a way your coworker is right, in that God would 'never kill His children." After all, ‘killing’ is defined as 'ending a life."

when you or I end a mortal life, from our perspective we are indeed ending the life; we don’t know whether the lives of the people we kill continue; to our view, they simply cease to exist. We may have great faith that they continue on, but we don’t KNOW, not in the way that God does. After all, He created us, watches us before, during and after our mortal existences. When HE ends a mortal life, He is simply moving us from one state of existence to another; from mortal to immortal.

To be perfectly facetious, then, if you or I commit murder, we are ending a life. It is a very. bad. thing. When God ends a mortal life, He is simply calling His children home; in the case of Sodom, Gomorah and Noah’s group, probably grounding them good. No more parties for them…

I don’t think the flood actually happened as it is recounted in the Bible. Interestingly, recent scholarship has shown that the Black Sea flood could very well be the inspiration for the legend.

Yes, there are things we can learn from the Noe accounts as a morality tale but it is just a common bit of Semitic fireside folk story that was collected with everything else. It is an awesome bit of fiction for it’s age.

[ATTACH]5815[/ATTACH]

BTW, the notorious Marcion of long ago believed that there were two Gods, not one. He actually proposed that the God of the Jews was evil and created the world as a place of evil (in part because of the Noe story, but also because of the Sodom and Gomorrah story and a few other examples), and the God of Jesus was the good one. He did not consider the Tanakh to be holy scripture!

Ah…a “His Dark Materials” sort of approach?

Well, whether the flood was global or Black Sea local, people died and the question still applies, don’t you think?

What question?

Are we assuming here that God decides to send us earthquakes, fires and floods as punishment?

I think that the question was…“Does God kill His children?”

For whatever reason He may choose to shorten our stay in mortality, the question isn’t about the reason, but rather, I think, whether the act is actually 'ending life" from a divine perspective.

It is from OURS, of course, but then we are not God.

As to 'punishment…"

I get the feeling that in both cases, Sodom and Gomorrah and Noah’s Flood (however local or global that was) that the reason wasn’t so much punishment as it was a 'do over."

I got the impression from the scriptures that those societies were so lost to depravity that there was no chance for any of them to choose to do anything other than sin. Their children would have been raised to be as depraved as their parents, again with no choice available to them.

So…God brought 'em all home.

Mind you, this is not an option we have as humans, but God? Well, if He saw that this was a culture that was beyond salvaging, and HE did something about it…

It’s about knowledge more than anything,

Suppose you saw a man stabbing someone in the throat with a knife…what would you automatically think?

Well, most of the time, it would be…the guy is doing something violently wrong. However, if it is doctor or paramedic saving someone from chocking to death by doing an emergency tracheotomy,…that’s a whole different situation, isn’t it?

As far as God is concerned, I wouldn’t make any assumptions.

Well…one. He knows more than we do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.