Nobel Prize Winner Claims World Is Better Without Bible

A Nobel laureate said the Bible is a “handbook of bad morals” and the world would be a better place without the Christian holy book.

Jose Saramago, who won the 1998 Nobel Prize for Literature, denounced the Bible at the press conference for his new book, Cain, on Sunday in Portugal. His latest book is the retelling of the Genesis story of Cain and Abel.

During the event, he was quoted as saying, “The Bible is a manual of bad morals (which) has a powerful influence on our culture and even our way of life. Without the Bible, we would be different and probably better people,” according to the news agency Lusa.

The 86-year-old author explained by describing the Bible as “a catalog of cruelty and of what’s worst in human nature,” according to The Associated Press. He went on to say “a cruel, jealous, and unbearable God exists only in our heads.”

His irreverence was not only directed at God, but at religious institutions.

Read more: christianpost.com/article/20091020/nobel-prize-winner-says-world-better-without-bible/index.html

I’d take any commentation from a supporter of the Portuguese Communist Party with a pinch of salt, it’s not like Communists didn’t do anything wrong…

God Bless.

Chris.

Such evil stuff as peace, forigveness of sins, and worst of all, treating your neighbor kindly!

It is intersesting to read such views. I really would like to be that infamous fly on the wall at many judgement days. His is one. I just want to hear his excuse for being such a delusional person and trying to pass it along to others. Strange to me is how people can be athiests, I just don’t get the concept myself.

God Bless this man and all of us!!

Considering whose been getting the prizes lately, I’d have to say the world would be better off without Nobel Prize winners.

hahaha, touche

When I saw the title, I thought the comment was going to have been made by Obama.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.