Non-Catholic Christians: What bias did you have about the Catholic Church, and...

To the Non-Catholic Christians,

I know some of you may have early bias against the Catholic teachings in beliefs. Now that you have discuss your concerns to us in these forums, do you still hold those stereo-typical bias against Catholic belief and practices, or are you now a well informed Non-Catholic Christians regarding the Catholic Church’s belief and practices?

These are list which Many Non-Catholic Christians have biases on;

1. The Pope.

2. Mary.

3. Eucharist.

4. Mass

5. Purgatory.

6. Communion of Saints.

7. Difference between doctrines and disciplines.

8. Difference between Sacraments and Sacramentals.

If I left out anything, fellow Catholics, please add.

So what do you think in your own words, what we Catholics truly believe.

If you are new to the forum, are you willing to know the Truths of the Catholic Church from Catholic source rather than Anti-Catholic sources?

As a former Protestant, I would also add religious art (particularly statues) which many non-Catholics consider idolatry.

Long before I would have ever considered becoming a Catholic myself, Catholic-bashing was something I could not stand. I would try to to remind people of the Eigth Commandment, which might be paraphrased as “you shall not slander your neighbor.” Part of that means having to courtesy of listening to what my neighbor is actually saying, and not relying upon some second- or third-hand caracacture. It amazes and saddens me that many “born-again” Christians have yet to grasp this.

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Hello Manny,

I appreciate what you are trying to do, but I doubt that any Christians will see their differences of opinion as biases. Responding to a question phrased in such a way is like conceding a point automatically.

(It seems to me that if you do get responses, you may also be covering too much ground for one thread.)

I think it should be recognized, for the sake of moving forward here, that whatever one’s opinion (pro or con), it is likely to be a bias.

I love my mom (memory eternal!), I think she is the best in all the world! I am biased about that and I freely admit it. :smiley:
Michael*

I would add that many Protestants use the “pervert priest” scandal as an objection to the Catholic Church. They’re protest is “Why did the Church condone this and not remove these priests from service?”

Manny:

I’m afraid I am like Michael. Bias and opinion often go hand in hand. Bias does not equate to hate, tho.

O+

I understand how you get your teachings but I don’t agree. Is that what you’re looking for? I’m tolerant but not in agreeement. Make sense?

I echo Blue:thumbsup:

1. The Pope.
  1. Mary.
  1. Eucharist.
  1. Mass
  1. Purgatory.
  1. Communion of Saints.
  1. Difference between doctrines and disciplines.
  1. Difference between Sacraments and Sacramentals.

If I left out anything, fellow Catholics, please add.

So what do you think in your own words, what we Catholics truly believe.

I’ll give you some quick answers. It would take a lot of space to really get into this.

1. The Pope – I see the Pope as an important – and even, perhaps, the pre-eminent – leader in the Christian world. That said, I have yet to be convinced that he is the “Vicar of Christ on Earth” and that only those who follow his leadership are members of the true Church. (Forgive me if this is a misunderstanding of Catholic teaching.)

2. Mary – What can I say other than that Mary is the Mother of God (Theotokos)? She is the woman chosen to bear our Lord and Savior and for this she deserves the greatest respect. Going beyond that into other forms of Marian devotion is not something that I find necessary or proper.

3. Eucharist – This is the ultimate expression of Christ’s love for us, that he feeds us with his own body and blood. As a Lutheran, I understand the Catholic teaching about the Eucharist, but I don’t believe that Christ is limited by that teaching and that his body and blood are what I receive as well.

4. Mass – It is a gathering of the faithful into which Christ comes in Word and Sacrament. Of course, I believe that our Lutheran service of Holy Communion is the same.

5. Purgatory – Purgatory really isn’t a part of my faith. I don’t know what else to say.

6. Communion of Saints – This is the entire body of believers – past, present, and yet to come. Here on earth, we experience imperfectly what the saints who have gone before us experience perfectly in God’s nearer presence.

7. Differences between doctrines and disciplines – I would probably add, as something that is misunderstood, a third “D,” dogma. I understand disciplines to be things that could be changed (e.g., priestly celibacy); doctrines as teachings that can be subject to clarification, if necessary; and dogma as teachings that are set in stone. I’d be happy to have a more precise definition.

8. Differences be sacraments and sacramentals – I am aware of the seven sacraments. I assume that many other acts of worship or devotion fall under the heading of sacramentals (would this include the Rosary, etc.?). I wouldn’t mind hearing something that will clarify it further.

I know that is true. I have never understood if people have pictures, videos, etc. of departed relatives, why not have these icons to remind us of our faith? Our protestant brothers must not think of it in that way, but we are not adoring pictures of our family when we look at them and recall good things. Same with icons. Do they REALLY think we adore these objects, or do they just WANT to think this is so?

Same thing about music, some non-catholic have different kinds of music just to help people praise and worship. Music is another form of art. :slight_smile:

1. The Pope. - I now understand infallibility is not as ‘undemocratic’ or potentially threatening as I thought it was once.

2. Mary. I’m currently reading about that and now recognise different arguaments but still struggle majorly with this,

3. Eucharist. I havre never witnessed a Catholic eucharist and don’t see any ‘magic’ at a protestant communion.

4. Mass - not an issue for me.

5. Purgatory. - my gut reaction was that people are simply ‘dead’ until the day of judgement. However I know this is just me, it’s not Biblical or even the doctrine I have been brought up with.

6. Communion of Saints. - Still struggle with this. I’ve never heard or seen anyone prtay to anyone except God or Jesus and this makes me feel uncomfortable but I am open to ideas now.

7. Difference between doctrines and disciplines. - these smaller areas are irrelevent to me while I’m still struggling with massive issues :slight_smile:

I feel sometimes uncomfortable with images. religious icons and relics. I feel that too much emphasis is put ont these things as focal points for thought and prayer.

S

1. The Pope.
  1. Mary.
  1. Eucharist.
  1. Mass
  1. Purgatory.
  1. Communion of Saints.
  1. Difference between doctrines and disciplines.
  1. Difference between Sacraments and Sacramentals
  1. Pope - I could probably swallow the Catholic’s view of His Holiness.

2. Eucharist - I could probably swallow transub…eventually. I love Catholic Eucharist. Love it.

3. Mass - love Mass

4. Purgatory - odd and foreign even when well-explained.

5. Communion of saints - not sure what that means

6. Differences between doctrine and discipline - I’ve been around here enough and read enough to have at least a vague understanding of that.

7. Mary - problem problem problem. The closest I ever came to becoming Catholic was sometime last year or two when I was regular lurker and sometimes poster here. I came incredibly close to RCIA, but my life got extremely hectic and my study of Catholicism faded away and now I’m trying to renew it, at least a little. During that time, I was attempting to pray the Rosary, and understand Marian devotion and so on. I’ll have to admit, that it left a very bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps it was so foreign to me, left me feeling as if I had “cheated on God” by speaking to someone in heaven other than Him. I felt all silly and hesitant and weird and somewhat unconvinced that those that are in heaven can even hear us…that sort of thing. I’ve heard that accepting Catholic position on Mary is the often the last things new converts (esp from fundamentalism) can accept.

That’s probably one of the biggest for me. By the way, hello again to everyone. I’m still struggling to find time to lurk and learn. :wave:

Now that you have discuss your concerns to us in these forums, do you still hold those stereo-typical bias against Catholic belief and practices, or are you now a well informed Non-Catholic Christians regarding the Catholic Church’s belief and practices?

Now thats a loaded question!
I consider myself a reasonably well informed Non-Catholic Christian who does not agree with some Catholic beliefs and practices. Some of the views are sterotypical views held about Catholics by many Protestants…and I find them to be true! Some.

Before I became Catholic I just figured the Catholic Church was something old and unnecessary that people had wisely left to one side, to wither and rot. Maybe it gave us some nice art or something. I also didn’t really know what it was.

To my Non-Catholic Christians,

Happy Lenten Season and May the Grace of God be with you.

I am surprise the response in this thread. I know some of you know me of my hard stance against Protestantism itself. I find its two pillars Faith Alone and Scripture Alone contrary to the Bible, and the Traditions of the Apostles. I have wrote many threads that are uncharitable.

Despite my faults, I think many Catholic members here will inform you the correct belief that we Catholic believe.

Here is my run down and my understanding of the Catholic faith.

1. Pope.- Jesus gave Peter the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven and establish a physical and spiritual Church. This Church is preserved by Holy Spirit from teaching any heretical doctrines concerning faith and morals. Peter’s line of succession continue to this day with Pope Benedict XVI. The Church will be here until Jesus Christ returns. The Pope is not an impeccable man. He is mortal man who can sin and needs to pray, repent, offer sacrifices, like the rest of us.

2. Mary- Mary is not greater or equal to God. She is a creature. A special creature, the woman, “clothed with the sun.” We Catholics honor her and venerate her. We give her the same worship we do towards God, since God is the One God whom we worship. Since Jesus inherited the Davidic Kingdom, he is made King. Like the King of OT, Jewish Kings have mothers as their queens. King Solomon had his Mother as his Queen. Jesus continue that Jewish tradition so we rightly called Mary Our Queen, the Queen of Heaven. She is the woman crown with twelve stars on her head.

3. Eucharist- The center and submit of the Catholic Worship is the Eucharist. We Catholics truly believe Jesus is truly present, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in this Blessed Sacrament. We consume the Lord’s Body and his Sacred Blood during Mass, and give him adoration during Eucharistic Adorations.

4. Mass- The Liturgical Worship. Here we hear the First Readings from the OT, then the Second Reading from the Letters, and the Gospel Readings. We hear the Word of God, and consume the Lord so that he remains in us. This Mass is not a resacrifice; that was done at the Crucifixion.

Catholic Answers Tracks further explains this,

It’s a common mistake to equate sacrifice with death. To understand the sacrifice of the Mass, it is essential that one understand the biblical picture of a sacrifice: It is always a gift; it is not always a killing. This is why Scripture can speak of a sacrifice of praise (Hos. 4:12) and the sacrifice of thanksgiving (Ps. 50:14).

Besides offering lambs, the Israelites also made grain offerings, drink offerings, et cetera. One sacrifice was called the wave offering, and this was an unbloody sacrifice where the Jews would wave a gift before God to symbolically give it to him. In Numbers 8:9–15, the whole Hebrew tribe of Levi was presented to God as a wave offering. In a similar way, the Mass is an offering—a sacrifice—where Christ is presented before the Father.

Purgatory

It’s an ancient tradition. The ancient Jews prayed for their dead, and so do the Orthodox. They don’t have a belief about Purgatory by praying for the dead is part of our traditions. It’s also implied in the Bible. I’ll cite the verses which show a third place where the dead go.

Sacramentals, are blessed articles. I don’t know much about it to give a detail answer.

Sacraments- Seven Sacraments Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Communion, Confession, Matrimony, Holy Orders, and Annointing the Sick, were instituted by the Apostles as means to grant us God’s grace.

Perhaps some of the Protestants here can ask their Protestant grandparents what they thought of Catholics 50 or 60 years ago.

Sometimes Catholics post that if others understood what the Catholic Church TRULY teaches, all their objections would dissolve. Sometimes I get told by Catholics that if I only understood real Catholicism, I would become a Catholic.

But sometimes what people are objecting to and do not believe IS real Catholicism, not just their misunderstanding of it. Some people do not believe what Catholicism teaches is true.

There are issues that can’t be cleared up just by teaching the Catechism or reading Scott Hahn.

Because you believe it is the truth, perhaps it seems to you that if people would just take a good look, they’d see what you do in it, but it is not that simple. Their refusal to see it as truth may feel like bias to you, but it is very much like you looking at the real teachings of another faith and rejecting them. Each must make their own judgement according to how the Divine has equipped them. One cannot in good conscience leave their faith simply because another says “mine is more true”, we must trust theDivine to change our heart.

Hi Mannyfit,

I’'ve been brought up protestant and I don’t believe in sola scriptura as it’s contradicted in scripture itself.

I also have a hard time with sola fide or faith alone… as I think sometimes people downplay their works and instead focs only on internal belief.

I’d like to know if modern protestants still believe in the five solas, I don’t think many protestants I’ve met are aware of them because they are not relevent in every day services etc.

and to the grandparents thing: I think my whole family on both my mother and fathers side are secular…except for my parents.

S

Before I became Catholic, I met a person who was Eastern Orthodox. In their home they had a shelf or two of icons of Jesus, Mary in the Saints. It was rather like a family album of the faith, and helped me to understand the importance of religious art.
Many Protestants (including myself at that time) read the prohibition of making “graven images” in the book of Exodus and believe it applies to all religious art. What they forget is that God commanded the making of religious images in worship (the cherubim on the ark, the bulls supporting the water font in front of the temple, and the bronze serpent).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.