non-Catholic Marriage

I’m sure this has been covered before, but I could not find what I was looking for so I will just post and hopefully somebody can answer my question or point me in the right direction. I have a non-Catholic friend who asked me (a Catholic) to be in his wedding. He’s been my best friend since we were kids, I hate to not be part of his wedding (he asked me to be a groomsman), but I will not renounce the faith if the Church asks me to not participate. Is this what I must do, not participate, or am I permitted to accept his invitation to be a groomsman?

If your friend and his intended are free to marry (as understood by the Catholic Church) then you are free to accept his invitation to be groomsman.

Thanks for your response. I was wondering if you might be able to clarify this a little for me. I woudl think that he is free to marry, he has not had a previous wife, and she has not had a previous husband, but I am not sure if there are any other restrictions.

Are either of them Catholic? Were either baptized Catholic and now “non-practicing”? If they are both non-Catholic from birth of have left the Catholic faith via a formal defection, if neither has had a legal divorce and the first spouse is still living, and if the marriage will be recognized by their faith - then you should be okay.

A good place to get solid answers - from your Priest. Another good internet resource, the AAA forum here, calling the Catholic Answers Apologists line and www.jimmyakin.org.

Thanks for your response. Neither of the two have ever been Catholic. I have been meaning to go talk to a priest about this, but the most readily available priest in my area is unfortunately not a very Traditional priest. And quite frankly, he is not a priest whom I trust very much when it comes to relationship advice.

The role of the groomsmen is purely ceremonial, not religious in any way. He’s not asking you to renounce Catholicism at all, or any part of its teachings – so go for it, and be happy your best friend is getting married! :slight_smile:

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.