Non-catholic parents want to baptize child catholic

Hello,

I am wondering if I could baptize my child catholic if I am Greek Catholic and my wife is Orthodox?

Thank you,
Tibby

A suggestion, call the rectory of the nearest RCC parish and ask to speak to the pastor. He will definitely give you the best guidance.

Shalom

I would agree with talking with the local parish priest.

As a simple guideline though, as long as one of the two parents is a practicing Catholic and intends to raise the child in Catholic faith, then there shouldn’t be any issues.

I’m curious, I’ve never heard of Greek Catholic before. Are you in communion with the Church under the authority of the Pope?

Good Question ,
How would this work ?
A Child has no leanings towards any particular faith ,
On what grounds would a Parish Priest refuse this request ,

The Parents wish to raise a child Catholic wouldn’t really impact on weather they are Catholic would it ?
They may also wish the child go through the Catholic Education system ,
Hypotheticals come into play here,
Interesting to see answers ,

If you are in full communion with the Bishop of Rome, then you should have no issues. If neither parent is a practicing Catholic (i.e. full communion with the Bishop of Rome), then you may want to resolve why that is prior to requesting baptism outside your communion.

I know some priests who have refused to baptise children of nonpracticing Catholic parents unless and until they show evidence they actually practice the faith. So I imagine a lack of full communion may be a issue.

Why would you seek Catholic baptism if you are not (nor desire to be) Catholic?

Are you a practicing Catholic? Because the answer is to talk with your pastor. In the Eastern Catholic churches, children receive all of their sacraments of initiation at once, not just baptism. Or is the problem that there is no Greek Catholic parish nearby? If so, talk with the pastor of your Roman Catholic parish. Your child will still be Greek Catholic and the pastor will have to take care of whatever paperwork is needed to keep everything straight.

I recall in Catholic primary that the nun said even us lowly students could baptize someone when the need arose.

A priest might raise good concerns about whether you intend to raise the child as a Catholic, but I’d be surprised if they flat out refused to baptize anyone.

The Catholic Church is made up of 23 sui iuris Churches all in communion with the Bishop of Rome (the Pope). The Latin Church is the largest particular Church in the Catholic Church and the most common rite used in the Latin Church is that of the Roman rite. The other 22 particular Churches that make up the Catholic Church are known as Eastern Catholic Churches. The largest Eastern Catholic Church is the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church followed by the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church and the Maronite Catholic Church, all of which are in full communion with Rome. 14 out of the 22 Eastern Catholic Churches use the Byzantine rite and thus are considered to be Greek Catholic Churches. Since all Eastern Catholic Churches are in full communion with Rome, Latin (Roman) Catholics can partake of Eastern Catholics sacraments and participate in all Eastern Catholic Churches. Since we are all in full communion with each other, we all believe in the same thing, we just have different traditions, but there is no disagreement over doctrine. Eastern Catholics account for about 20,000,000 Catholics out of the 1,200,000,000 Catholics in the Catholic Church.

Down below is a link to a Melkite Greek Catholic Divine Liturgy, a Greek Catholic Church in full communion with the Pope:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.