Non-Catholic praying to saints

Hello from a newcomer to these forums, and wonder if anyone could help me with a question.

Though a non-Catholic, I feel inspired by various saints that I have read about. Especially (but not only) in times of great difficulty and uncertainty, which I am going through now, I have asked the Blessed Virgin and the saints to pray for me. In particular I have taken to asking the help of Saint Jude, Saint Therese (the Little Flower), Saint Joseph and most recently Saint Rita of Cascia.

I understand the difference between praying to God directly (which I also do) and asking the saints to intercede.

Even though there often seems to be no direct response to my prayers and my troubles continue, it gives me peace to feel that the saints are praying to God for me. But I do sometimes have nagging doubts. Could I really hope for a Catholic saint to intercede for me in my troubles when I am not Catholic or even at the moment thinking of becoming Catholic?

I am new to these forums, so please be patient with me if this seems like a silly question.

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forum. Saints are people, just like us who lived holy lives, dedicated to serving the Lord. Having friends in high places praying for us is a wonderful idea. Saints are our cheerleaders now on the sidelines cheering for those here to become holier and join them in heaven one day. Of course the are cheering for you regardless. You love the Lord, and are seeking to understand and do His will. Just as we ask our living friends and family to pray for us, we can ask those who have run the race already to intercede on our behalf. :slight_smile:

I think, there is nothing wrong about praying to them for You. Strictly, there are no Catholic and non-catholic saints. A saint is a saint objectively.

Thank you so much for these replies, which I find very reassuring and helpful!

I believe a saint hears a prayer no matter who it comes from. If you are a Christian and have a saint you like who you would like to pray to to intercede and request help from God, should not be a problem.
Welcome to Catholic Answers.
You should do more studies of Catholic saints because you might find many more with stories to inspire you. St. Joan of Arc, St. Thomas Moore, St. Jude, St. Patrick, St. Agnes, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Elizabeth of Portugal, St. Monica, St. Augustine, St. Maria Goretti, St. Ambrose - I could go on and on.

Thank you, 7 Sorrows. Yes, I will look up those saints that you mention. Already I am somewhat familiar with Saint Thomas More and Catherine of Siena, both very inspiring.

Have fun! I have a book called 365 Saints. There are many good books on saints. I am sure there are still many I have not learned about. I converted to Catholicism in 2008.

If I had to pick a go-to Saint that I commonly ask for prayers, it would absolutely be St. Monica, mother of St. Augustine. While the Theotokos and Monica both have a mother’s heart for children, I know that St. Monica lived with a deeply disappointing situation with her son and husband for many years and well understands my pleas. She lived out the ideal of patience while waiting on the Lord to answer and is a role model for me to follow as I wait as well. I am comforted that someone who can empathize so closely with my cross is praying with me.

St. Mary is our Mother (“behold your mother”) but I look to St. Monica as a sister.

Yes, I find it comforting to pray to saints whom I feel special empathy with and who in turn I feel would empathise with my situation. I feel this way particulary about Saint Therese, though outwardly her earthly life was very different from mine.

I turn to Saint Joseph especially in my employment difficulties… a humble, honest, hard-working man who cared for the Blessed Virgin and her Son, and he’s also the Patron of workers, I think. Saint Jude and Saint Rita have a special care for hopeless causes, so naturally I ask for their prayers.

Even if my hopeless causes don’t seem to improve, I still feel comforted thinking these people are praying for me in heaven.

As a prostate cancer survivor, I have kept an image of Saint Peregrine in my wallet for almost a decade now, and I often as God to hear his prayers on our behalf.

Jon

Elisha healed the Syrian general Naaman, and Elijah helped the widow of Sidon, in Phoenecia. :slight_smile:

As creatures, we’re all helping each other find our way to God. Undoubtedly, the Saints understand that better than anyone else, already being at the finish line. :slight_smile:

The Saints in Heaven belong to all of us just as the Angels do. Catholics do not have a monopoly on the Saints or the Blessed Mother as they do not have a monopoly on Our Savior Jesus Christ. They all belong to Him as we do also. And we can all pray for each other. God Bless, Memaw

Hope these scripture passages encourage you to pray more:

Rev 5:7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of the one who was seated on the throne. 8 When he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell before the Lamb, each holding a harp and **golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. **

Rev 8:3 Another angel with a golden censer came and stood at the altar; he was given a great quantity of incense to offer with the** prayers of all the saints** on the golden altar that is before the throne. 4 And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel.

The comfort you feel is God’s way of letting you know HE is with you. HE doesn’t always take our problems away but he does give us the Grace to deal with them. Prayers and God Bless, Memaw

The fact that you are asking a saint to intercede for you would be enough motivation for the saint to do it…no matter what your denomination! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Nicely stated Memaw.

I second that! :thumbsup:

Thank you, everyone, for all of these wonderful replies. I feel very much encouraged to go on asking the saints to pray for me. Talking about the saints has also been a lovely way to start getting into these forums.

A few weeks ago a friend lost his keyring that basically had his entire life on it. After both of us going crazy and spending a long time searching, I suggested he pray to St Anthony. My friend is an atheist and I am not Catholic, but I told him St Anthony helps non Catholics too.

So we said a prayer and later that day the keys turned up.

I’ve heard St Jude also is known for helping anyone who sincerely asks.

So surely you are not alone in seeking the help of a saint, even if you are outside the church.

That depends on whether or not, objectively speaking, you are in a state of grace.

St. Thomas says that, if you are not in a state of grace, then God does not listen to your prayers out of justice, but He may listen to them out of mercy. However, He will only listen to your prayers insofar as they are ordered toward your ultimate salvation, if He does so at all.

That is, if you ask God (or a Saint to intercede with God) for the ability to understand the Catholic faith, and to be led into it if it is true, then God is far more likely to listen to such a prayer if you are not in a state of sanctifying grace. On the other hand, you may be asking for any number of other things which are in no way ordered towards the good of your coming into the Church, but have various other ends in mind.

This is why you should seek to become a member of the Church: so that your capacity to be assured of your state of grace can increase exponentially. As it stands currently, you will only be saved through invincible ignorance, and that’s not exactly a sure footing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.