Non Catholic Sponsor

I attend AA and am considering obtaining a non-Catholic sponsor. Is this wrong?

Why? When AA was founded by a Catholic and the organization helps you…

Bill Wilson was not a Catholic. He hooked up with a friend from the evangelical Oxford Group who helped put him on his path to wholeness. This group was founded by a Lutheran.

What is so wrong with having a non-catholic sponsor? You think he would try to lead the man astray?

trying to come up with a reason why it would be wrong, or why their faith would be an issue at all

Are you stocking me with answers just to aggravate me?
AA was founded in 1935 in Akron, Ohio by a N.Y. stockbroker Bill Wilson and an Akron surgeon, A CATHOLIC named Dr. Bob Smith. As long as they help people, that’s all that matters. But I needed to clarify this.
Sorry, but no Evangelicals here.

And Wilson was not a catholic, period. Smith was, yes, but since he was not the only founder it would stand to reason that not all sponsors must be catholic.

Frankly… I don’t think it should make a “lick of difference” whether or not a person’s sponsor is of the same faith. It is my understanding that “religion” is not part of the program…

From the official website of Alcoholics Anonymous:

Alcoholics Anonymous® is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Bold emphasis is mine.

The religion of the sponsor does not matter.

Religion doesn’t matter of course, I just said it because it would be nice to appoint a practicing Catholic since a Catholic saved him from himself.

hello everyone.
my boyfriend is in AA and his sponsor is a Catholic, since we are Catholics it is really nice to be in the same page. these sponsors can also become an spiritual advisers.

God Bless.

And your boyfriend is wise!!! Look, there is no requirement for a Catholic sponsor, but as a recovering alcoholic, I can tell you that very often a non-Catholic cannot understand the role of the church in our lives. My experience (30 yrs sober) is that a Catholic sponsor is a little more in tune with the specific issues a Catholic will have. Many of you may not know this, but very often our issues that led us to drink are from our childhood and quite often about family issues. Growing up in a Catholic family is most often understood by other Catholics.

i agree with you. it was a blessing that my boyfriend found a Catholic sponsor. i dont want to sound mean or anything like. but if our beliefs are not the same, things can get even more difficult.

God Bless.

AA does talk about God a lot. Turning your will and your life over to the care of God. I want to make sure the God I believe in is the true God.

I think the best you should do is find a sponsor who is not anti-Catholic. There are other matching criteria, like gender, educational level, length and quality of sobriety that are important, too.

Who knows, you might end up converting a non-Catholic sponsor. :smiley:

No Evangelicals in AA. I wonder why?

No evangelicals founded AA but I can attest to the presence of many evangelicals at the meetings.

BlestOne has a point. I also have long-term recovery. I hate to bring the discussion around to a hot topic, but I have reconsidered my previous comment, which I will be adding to the book I am writing.

I am particularly concerned about Mormon infiltration of the 12-Step Recovery programs. Breaking of confidentiality and malicious gossip serve to select people of European ancestry and, in particular, members of the LDS community for successful recovery. Online support or meetings based on cultural and religious heritages might remedy this.

BEWARE. LDS are a non-drinking culture-- however, they replace drinking with a worse addiction. Sick religion. It can kill.

I assume you are asking about an AA sponsor, not an RCIA one, like I first thought!

I’m also a member with long-term sobriety. I think the important thing about your sponsor is that they not question your Catholic faith, and not try to draw you away from it. That would mean someone who is either dedicated to the concept of “God as we understand Him,” or a fellow Catholic.

And, as Jerusha said,

There are other matching criteria, like gender, educational level, length and quality of sobriety that are important, too.

God bless you,

Ruthie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.