Non-Catholic Supernatural Experiences - your take?

So I saw a show on TV, about people who share their ghost stories. This episode was about “Religious ghosts” where a Jewish woman and Hindu woman talked about their supernatural experiences.

The Jewish woman talked about when she was a little girl, her family moved into a home, once owned by Catholics, and a result they had to take down pictures of various saints. Later on the day, this ghost kept bothering them. His last appearance was a dinner, when they were praying at dinner, a ghost (holding a rosary in his hand) appeared. The father mistakenly said “Satan’s in this house!” because the ghost interrupted the prayer and the image wasn’t sharp. And then the ghost when away.

The Hindu woman talked about how ghosts attacked her but then Krishna (and I think his wife) appeared and rescued her.

As a Catholic, what are your take on these experiences?

I do not believe any of them and, sorry, it makes me laugh.
And it gives me envy for i wanted to see a ghost but, unfortunately, they do not anything to do with me…

Like anyone else who has worked on hospital wards for a few years, I am convinced that ghosts exist and nothing will persuade me otherwise - due to my own experience and stories I’ve heard from others.

Really? Is that a common belief among hospital staff?

allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/whats-your-best-108202.html

You tell me.:wink:

From my own experience I worked nights on a ward. Every single time I did, even if there was a completely different group of patients in that area, whether the patients were known to hallucinate or not - they all complained about children laughing and playing too loudly, and pointed at them.

The site the ward was on used to be a workhouse, with children. I found that out after I remarked on patients complaining again to a senior nurse.

I could tell you many more stories. Like I say, anyone who’s worked on a hospital ward for long enough has at least one.

Personally, I believe the veil between this world and the next is very, very thin on hospital sites. A lot of people cross over there. But I am aware that it is a very superstituous belief.

Yes, there are a few floating around my hospital, too, but with the emotional stress, trauma, illness and death, it is understandable. I have never seen one, although people claim to have seen a man get on an elevator and never get off…he just disappears. When my Father-in-law died, all the music boxes began playing by themselves in his youngest son’s house. They had a new baby, whom my FIL was very fond of, and he used to play the music boxes for her when he was alive. My sister-in law said that when the music boxes began to play like that, the baby just laughted and laughed. My brother-in-law was freaked out, he doesn’t believe in supernatural stuff, but this shook him up.

Here’s my question: Who moves out of their home and leaves their pictures behind? :stuck_out_tongue:

Luna

The belief in ghosts is frowned upon in Judaism. That doesn’t necessarily prevent anyone from having their own personal experience, however. I tend to believe only in Caspar, the friendly ghost.

Good Lord, I sure hope some of those stories are made up.

It happens.

lol I’m kind of Agnostic-ish on the whole ghost thing anyway. :shrug: The whole description of Judaism in the episode was very contrary to what I’ve heard. And that fact that father mentioned “Satan” with negative connotations also puzzled me. I thought Satan was God’s helper in testing man in Judaism…

And who feels they would have kept them on the walls, if it wasn’t for the fact they had different religions?

Satan means adversary and at least at the time of Christ they saw him as a force which opposed God, although it does seem strange that he would identify any spirit with Satan in the same way a Christian might.

I agree: the story sounds suspicious to me as well. I’m sure many Jews don’t know the teaching about Satan, but the belief in ghosts is still not a Jewish thing, except in folklore.

Demons are a pan human belief, and Satan is the Hebraic name for the prince of Demons, that part is not so strange. Also Catholics also believe in the role of the Devil as the prosecutor of all mankind, God even gave us his Holy Spirit as our advocate. (Defense attorney.)

[quote=Apocalypse 12:1-12]1 And a great sign appeared in heaven: A woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars:

2 And being with child, she cried travailing in birth, and was in pain to be delivered.

3 And there was seen another sign in heaven: and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads, and ten horns: and on his head seven diadems:

4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman who was ready to be delivered; that, when she should be delivered, he might devour her son.

5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with an iron rod: and her son was taken up to God, and to his throne.

6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she had a place prepared by God, that there they should feed her a thousand two hundred sixty days.

7 And there was a great battle in heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon, and the dragon fought and his angels:

8 And they prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in heaven.

9 And that great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, who seduceth the whole world; and he was cast unto the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

10 And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying: Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ:** because the accuser of our brethren is cast forth, who accused them before our God day and night.**

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of the testimony, and they loved not their lives unto death.

12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you that dwell therein. Woe to the earth, and to the sea, because the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, knowing that he hath but a short time.

[/quote]

Emphasis mine

Well, if scientists can ever prove String Theory, then it might explain why people can hear children laughing and playing…and it has nothing to do with ghosts. It might all be happening at the same time we are living. It is so above my head, I can’t even begin to explain it, but you can look it up. We have the same thing with our school. We can hear children laughing, doors shutting, footsteps, when no one is in the building or outside. The school sits where there used to be an orphanage long ago.

Sometimes matter “remembers” when spirit has acted upon it so in a certain way the echoes of that activity continue through time. This isn’t a proper ghost but a revenant.

I work as a security guard, and work nights. One of my last posts, an office building, I was monitoring the cameras, and I noticed a small ball of light floating by the chair and the U.S. Flag. Since both chair and flag were close to me, I looked up, and saw nothing by either, but, looking at the camera, I saw it! I checked the camera for dust, and found none. I sat in said chair, looking for anything, and couldnt see anything, but, the orb was still there, on camera, moving slowly from the flag, to the chair, and eventually floated off. Later in the week, one of the employees asked me if I had seen the ghost there at work.:eek: Since then, I’ve noticed all kinds of “corner of my eye/camera” silhouettes, and all manner of noises.

I worked night security when I was fresh out of high school.

One of the places I worked had this one hallway leading to the loading bays. Every night I had to go down there to make sure it was secure, I always had this strange feeling when I went down there, like I wasn’t alone and I was being watched. I’d hurry through as quickly as possible.

After I’d been there a bit one of the other guys approached me and asked me if I’d seen anything strange in that area. Everyone else who ever worked that shift reported seeing spokey things in that hallway. I was the first who didn’t.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.