Non-Catholics and the Eucharist

Hi there, I have a question. I have a friend who is Catholic and knows well that the Church teaches that non-Catholics cannot receive the Eucharist. However, he brought his non-Catholic girlfriend to mass and told her she was allowed to receive. He has not been well formed in the faith and I explained to him why she cannot receive. He said he understands and won’t allow her to receive again. I read that there are dangers in allowing a non-Catholic to receive the Eucharist. “For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died” (1 Cor. 11:29–30). What exactly does this mean?

I understand the grave nature of this issue, but I want to make sure that my friend does as well. Any suggestions as to what I can tell him? I’m not quite sure what to say.

Verse: 1 Cor. 11:29–30

The Haydock Commentary

Ver. 30-32. Therefore in punishment of the sin of receiving unworthily, many are infirm, visited with infirmities, even that bring death, which is meant by those words, many sleep. But it is a mercy of God, when he only punishes by sickness, or a corporal death, and does not permit us to perish for ever, or be condemned with this wicked world. To avoid this, let a man prove himself, examine the state of his conscience, especially before he receives the holy sacrament, confess his sins, and be absolved by those to whom Christ left the power of forgiving sins in his name, and by his authority. If we judge ourselves in this manner, we shall not be judged, that is, condemned. (Witham)

The NAB commentary:
See footnote 14 which states that the judgment (the illness, infirmity, and death that have visited the community) incurred is an expression of God’s concern, a medicinal measure to rescue us from condemnation with God’s enemies.

usccb.org/nab/bible/1corinthians/1corinthians11.htm

vatican.va/holy_father/special_features/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_20030417_ecclesia_eucharistia_en.html

First you say your friend knows the church teachings and then you say he has not been well informed. If He knows this is a serious sin then he is held accountable, if he does not have that knowlege it would be a venial sin. The girlfriend if she has no knowledge she is not accountable.

Mortal sin 1.) Serious matter 2.) Knowlege that it is serious matter and 3.) Then willingly does it anyway.

We who have been educated, and know that we are not to be in mortal sin when we recieve Jesus, are held to this scripture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.