Non-Catholics how do you view Catholicism?

I always wondered if non- Catholics viewed the Catholicism as strange. With rote prayers, incense, sacred tradition, etc. Would love to hear how you think

I view Catholicism positively, for the most part.

Fair enough, although I would have found it more interesting if you had said something about our lack of Non-Catholicness.

In general, I have a very positive view of the church. I love the fact that they are committed to making the world a better place in terms of instituting programs that feed the poor, educate the less fortunate, care for the sick etc. I wish more churches were like that.

The only part that turns me off is the traditions and rituals. I feel like I would be messing up all the time, it would be too much pressure trying to get everything right.

Well nobody is perfect. :slight_smile:

That’s nearly everything!!:eek::smiley:

That’s easy. Like my Dad always used to jokingly tell me, "Just do what the little old ladies sitting in the front row do. "

I think all of the above (with a few exceptions) are fine, so I don’t think of the Catholic Church as “strange” in that sense at all.

I do though think many Catholics have been very mislead about about the history of the Church as a whole and the Western Church’s role in that history, which I usually just chalk up to ignorance on the part of the average Catholic. Most people don’t care enough about it to do the research themselves.

I think all of the above (with a few exceptions) are fine, so I don’t think of the Catholic Church as “strange” in that sense at all.

I do though think many Catholics have been very mislead about about the history of the Church as a whole and the Western Church’s role in that history, which I usually just chalk up to ignorance on the part of the average Catholic. Most people don’t care enough about it to do the research themselves.

Good question…

Well, if I was dead honest about what I think about it, it would offend people’s socks off and I’d get banned. I don’t want that, so I will just briefly summarise what I think. I view Catholicism as a misunderstanding of God’s message for mankind. A lot of that has to do with the Trinity.

That’s what I like about this board. There is a limit as to what you can state about Catholicsim and I could post about being a Muslim.

Mary.

I like the Catholic Church.

I went to school for Theology and know the history. Point out specifics. I think people know more than you think. I will say that most religions have a shaky history. I think with as old as my religion is that if it was perfect that would be strange

I have been Catholic pretty much my whole life and I still stumble. In fact, I just started saying the Rosary daily and i still stumble about it. It is a learning process. No one is perfect and doesn’t have to be.

With love and respect; and thankfulness for their faithful transmission of the Word. I pray for unity with all my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Before I became Catholic, I had the common misconeptions that most people in the US hold on to. While going through RCIA, I found myself telling friends that Catholicism was not at all what I thought it was. I still remember that, from a distance, I admired Cathoics and wondered what it would have been like to be raised Catholic. Howwever, i was far too intimidated and thought you HAD to be raised Catholic to be one. I didn’t even know that RCIA existed to bring adults into the Church.

I would love to hear your testimony on Coming to the Catholic Church :slight_smile: (I assume you are Catholic now)

Sent you a PM. :slight_smile:

Don’t you mean an abundance of non-Catholicness?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.