Non denominational Christians

My best friend wants to be a non denominational religion. I think she is very much into the fact that you only need to be ‘saved’ to get to heaven. Any help as to what I can tell her to possibly convert her to Catholosim?

First thing is to pray and fast for her and be a willing witness to her about the truths of the Church that you hold dear to your heart and help you have faith in the Christ. If she hungers for the Church she’ll see the Holy Spirit work it in you.

On the surface, there is nothing wrong with Protestant churches. There are so very many Protestant Christians people living a Christian life. Their head-knowledge may be a little shaky, even though their heart-knowldge is solid.

However, Non-denoms specialize in discerning truth with the “warm fuzzy” method. If you feel the Spirit is speaking to you, it must be true. Unfortunately, seldom do any two non-denoms completely agree on what scripture really says, other than in broad, generic terms.

This is one reason why there are so many non-denoms.

Want evidence of the result? Open up any phonebook to the Churches section and start counting.

This is also why on-denoms are easy converts for the Mormon church. First they are encouraged to pray over the BoM and see if they get a “warm fuzzy” telling them it is true. Then they find they are talking to a international church that is unified in its statement of truths. *

If, however, you’re looking for a church that uncompromisingly teaches the same truths, whenever and wherever you may be, and proclaims the same scriptures in unified voices each week, wherever in the world you may be or in whatever languge you are hearing them, where can you go?

To the RCC.*

Pray :gopray2: pray :gopray2: pray! and Fast, fast, fast.

Keep her your best friend by loving her and caring about what she wants. Hear her out and listen to what she has to say about why she wants to convert. The more you get to know her motives behind what she wants to do, the more you can better understand her. If we understand people we can talk to them better.

Show her your faith by your actions.

Is she a cradle Catholic? Well whether she is or she isn’t, invite her to Mass one Sunday with you. After Mass don’t talk, just stay quiet about religion. Just be together on that Sunday and be her best friend.

Then pray :gopray2: and pray some more. :gopray2:

Peace and God bless. I will pray for you and for her too. :gopray:

Why do you say that? There is plenty wrong with Protestant churches.

Not everything that is taught is wrong. But that doesn’t make the church the right one.

Now if you wanted to say there is nothing wrong with the people that are in the churches then just say that. But don’t say statements that are wrong.

I know enough Protestant people who are kind and warm-hearted and love Jesus Christ so much (I also know some that are not so kind). I also wish they were here in the Catholic Church instead of their protestant church because not everything they teach is right and there are many protestant churches out there that are anti-Catholic.

I would like to believe that these protestant people that I know are in different protestant churches for a reason. I believe that it is part of their journey into the Catholic Church. But that doesn’t mean that I would want them to stay there for the rest of their time on earth. I would still want to evangelize them into the Catholic Church. I just have to be patient about it and pray to God and ask the Holy Spirit to enlighten their minds and open their hearts. So I do that now as I pray to the Holy Spirit for all non-Catholic Christians and non-Christians to come into the Catholic Church so that they can receive all the gifts that Jesus has to offer through the Church.

Peace and God bless. :gopray:

You probably would do more harm than good by trying “to convert her to Catholicism” as you say. Even though most Protestants will argue about this, “salvation” is a process, and we’re all at some stage of the process. Your friend is engaged in her own process. For sure, there are much worse things to be than a non-denominational Christian. Most of them are in some degree of doctrinal error, but most of them are also very good, loving people who are in process of salvation. Our Church refers to them as “separated brethren.” As for how to approach the situation, I agree with the idea of prayer, though I probably would avoid telling her that you’re praying for her. Just be her friend, and make no derogatory comments about her choice. Never fail to witness your own faith, but keep it in positive terms rather than holding her denomination up to the light for examination. She will come to her own conclusions over time.

That’s my assessment. They have some of the truth but never all of it. Their biases disqualify them from having the truth. And, as much as they like to think they are the Church, well, I have a differing opinion.

Just be her friend, and make no derogatory comments about her choice. Never fail to witness your own faith, but keep it in positive terms rather than holding her denomination up to the light for examination. She will come to her own conclusions over time.

I agree here. There is nothing you can do or say to make someone change their mind and join our team. There are plenty of problems in non-denominational/protestant faiths. But, most Christians practicing an incomplete faith are not on a path to destruction as some Catholics lament. The biggest problem I see is we are missing part of our body. I look next to me on Sunday and wonder who is supposed to be here. The focuses of other denominations are missing in our church as is our focus in theirs. IMHO we are as incomplete without our separated brethren as they are without us. We truly need to find a way to bring everyone together for the good of our Church and for the good of this world!

Prayer is good. Our witness is better. The Holy Spirit is what’s truly needed to soften or change peoples hearts. Everyone from the big “C” to the little “c” needs some work in this department. Vatican 2 affirmed this.

I know its hard to show the light in a loving and compassionate way. I struggle to do it. It seems even harder for cradle Catholics because they can’t understand how anyone could be anything other than part of the Church. Thats why little comes of ecumenical conversations. I wouldn’t give up on the idea, but its got to be Spirit led. Otherwise, we’re collectively banging our heads against a brick wall. :slight_smile:

Is your best friend a member of a different church already? Or is your friend looking for a church to join? This could change how you go about it. If your friend is just looking into Churches, invite her to your church and see how he likes it.Obvioulsy if he is a member of a different church this changes things a bit.

Any help as to what I can tell her to possibly convert her to Catholosim?

Be the best witness you can. She will remember the way you act and carry yourself as a child of God far longer and it will have a greater impact on her than anything you could say. Like I recommended earlier if she is looking for a church, invite her to yours and tell her you would be happy to answer any questions she would have.

And of course like others have said, :gopray: for her.

God Bless

Christ established one Church with one set of beliefs (Eph. 4:4–5). He did not establish numerous churches with contradictory beliefs. To see which is the true Church, we must look for the one that has an unbroken historical link to the Church of the New Testament. Catholics are able to show such a link. They trace their leaders, the bishops, back through time, bishop by bishop, all the way to the apostles, and they show that the pope is the lineal successor to Peter, who was the first bishop of Rome. The same thing is true of Catholic beliefs and practices. Take any one you wish, and you can trace it back. This is just what John Henry Newman did in his book An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine.

Catholic Answers

As a Methodist I see Non Denoms popping up everwhere!
In fact I believe that “Non Denominational” has now became a denomination in itself as so many of them follow very similar Pentecostal style beliefs.
Also it is my opinion that they look down on both other protestant churches as well as the CC.
WP

“On the surface” (as I said), there’s nothing wrong with Protestantism. Unfortunately, as the saying goes, it’s a mile wide and only an inch deep.

Yet there are plenty of Protestants who will be way ahead of Catholics in the line at the Pearly Gates, because they have taken the gospel message and dedicated their lives to applying it.

We need to look at ourselves and ensure that we are doing the same.

Nan

That saying about Protestantism being a “mile wide and an inch deep is right on” in my experiences. However, I must say that I am very thankful to God that I was first exposed to Him by my mother’s raising me up in a “Bible-Belt wide” Baptist upbringing. Although, I’ve since journeyed home to Rome and I no longer agree with many of the Baptist’s inch-deep doctrines at least many of these other churches are exposing people to the Lord’s Gospel. My little brother, his wife, and their toddler son are now regular attendees of a non-denom church after not attending any church since our child-hood. I thought it was interesting that at the same time I was heading from the baptist church into the RCC, my brother was coming back to God after years of absence. I know they are not getting the full-message, but God’s “mile-wide” reach will eventually bring them all home.:slight_smile:

:yup: I agree that we have to dedicate ourselves to the Gospel message.

I pray that it happens. :gopray2: God is thirsty for Souls!

Hi:
I just had to reply to this thread with this, there is more truth on the doorstep of a Baptist Church than the is in the whole of the Catholic Church.

forever Baptist
allischalmers

Sorry but that is not correct. You are only saying that because you are a Baptist. If that is what you think then why are you here? (rhetorical question)

We say this truth about the Catholic Church because it is an objective TRUTH.

Thank you for your prayers AlegreFe:) I also pray that someday all proclaiming Christians can be united together as Jesus prayed to our Father.:gopray2:

:rotfl: I believe if you took a “What we believe as Baptists” course in seven different Baptist Churches you would get seven different answers and thus seven different ‘truths’. I recall an article in the Baptist Herald a year or so ago that applauded the fact that there were so many different Baptist churches with different beliefs. I think the ridiculous point the author was trying to make is that they are “unified in their disunity”:whacky:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.