Non-denominational Christians

Thinking about things and listening to what Catholics have to say here, I have come to the conclusion that the only Christianity that makes any sense to me is non-denominational Christianity. Are there many non-denominational Christians here?

I label myself non-denominational.

Can I ask what is non-denominational Christianity?

Thank you.

C.

just someone who doesn’t subscribe to any denomination

But what does a non-denominational Christian subscribe to?

mere christianity

So you are saying that a Christian of a particular denomination subsribes to something that is not Christianity? Something extra? And unnecessary?

Best wishes, C.

In my experience, not quite. There are plenty of folks who might describe themselves as liberal Christian, but who do not affiliate with any specific denomination. This is very different than what one means when one says one attends a non-denominational church, at least in the southern US :slight_smile: . The latter is usually very evangelical, often very conservative, advocating sola scriptura and frequently charismatic.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-denominational_Christianity

Ok, I wasn’t aware of that type of non-denominationalism:thumbsup: - quite an interesting thought but I have never seen it in the UK yet
somewhat akin to the Presbyterian church IIRC

in a way I do have some respect for those who consider themselves non-denominational and those who start up non denominational churches. when I wanted to search for truth i thought the best way to go was the non denominational, this is when I was very confused about my family’s relgion ( catholocism ), and didn’t agree with it. Later on I saw how different non denominational churches and how they contradicted each other, I also saw that almost every non denominational church really believes they have the truth and if you don’t agree with them your lost . before i returned to the Catholic faith, I came to the conclusion that Non-denominational is Denominational. those who attend to these churches became the very same thing people who attend denominational churches are.

this is just my experience.

In my experience, not quite. There are plenty of folks who might describe themselves as liberal Christian, but who do not affiliate with any specific denomination. This is very different than what one means when one says one attends a non-denominational church, at least in the southern US :slight_smile: . The latter is usually very evangelical, often very conservative, advocating sola scriptura and frequently charismatic.

Bingo :wink:

Non-denomitionals often hang out and pat themselves on the back for being “free” of the labels, burdens, rules or whatever that come from subscribing to a particular denom. Karen is right in that, at least in the south, non denom churches are pretty charismatic and conservative.

God bless Christians (and non-Christians for that matter).

But seriously, if there is ‘truth’ in a religion, it is ‘truth’ whether or not it makes sense to me, or fits my own limited, human desires and knowledge and personal ‘choice’ of what I think '‘makes sense to me’–as though “I” am the only person on earth and if I don’t get it, well, it just ‘can’t be so’. :slight_smile:

So just as a general well-wishing, pray long and hard about whether you (general you, not directed specifically at anyone) want to do God’s will, whether or not it makes ‘sense’ to you, or whether you want to pick what ‘makes sense’ to you and then demand that God accommodate to it.

I find that religions which seem to offer ‘all the answers’ appear to do so simply to those who don’t ask ‘all’ the questions. When a question comes up which hadn’t been ‘asked’, or when somebody comes up with a different answer, it comes as a shock. How easy it is to go with the pleasant, the reassuring, the ‘sensible’, the easy way.

Trouble is, throughout Scripture and throughout the history of the church, the ‘easy’ way is never really all that easy. There is always a ‘yoke’; there is always a cross.

Too many want to bypass the idea that they need a personal cross. Oh, they’re more than ready to accept Jesus’s cross–because He’s “done it” and they can just relax, bound for heaven. Everything is optional, pretty much; pick and choose, go through the cafeteria, don’t like Sunday service? Don’t have to go. Don’t like hell-fire and brimstone? Don’t need to hear it. etc. etc.

Imagine the idea that our cross might just, possibly, have to do with rejecting something that keeps us from God. The world, the flesh, and the devil. . .the unholy three. Feeling uncomfortable about sexual sin? The world tells us, “Relax, if you don’t think it’s sinful, it isn’t.”

Christ tells us, “Take up your cross and follow me.”

Which is easier? I think you know the answer. Which is right? Again, I think you know the answer. And those answers differ, don’t they?

Who will you choose to follow: Christ and His Church, or those who want Christ but on their terms, God love them? Some people may find Christ outside the Catholic Church (God bless them), but why make things harder than they need to be? I know they want to fully know God, these wonderful people who are a part of the body of Christ and whom we love deeply as brothers and sisters.

I extend the hands of welcome to all, Catholic, nondenominational, non-Catholic Christian “other”, nonChristian. I know there isn’t an ‘easy’ way to say, “I firmly believe and trust in Christ and His Church” without the obvious inference that any ‘other’ church or belief is wrong in some way. But heck, every one of us is ‘wrong’ at one time or another and it doesn’t make us stupid, or unworthy, or anything like that. It makes us human. We need God’s help. Lately I know my fellow Christians have become more aware that there is more that ‘unites’ us than divides us, and as the Devil is well aware, he is using that consciousness to try to bring out the ‘division’. He’s trying to make each ‘group’ more suspicious of the other, more entrenched in holding onto grudges, because he is afraid that if people let go of the prejudice that has long existed by Protestant denominations toward the Catholic faith (not individual Protestants and individual Catholics, mind you), they would indeed find the eternal truth of Catholicism and we would be a united force for good the like of which the world has not yet seen and cannot imagine.

I just don’t like exclusivism for the sake of exclusivism - I see too much pride in being one thing or the other, and not enough emphasis on the central issues. Too much holding on to baggage.
Why equate non-denominational with picking and choosing? That seems to be the standard Catholic accusation for virtually everything - “cafeteria” Christian? It’s a big turn away.
I’ve asked plenty of questions and faced resentment or deletion of the threads for asking them. Why assume that people join churches other than the Catholic because it’s “easier”? We all know people in the Catholic church who only fulfil the obligations and no more.

Why equate non-denominational with picking and choosing?

Jack,

Probably the reason non-denom is equated with picking and choosing is that often when Protestant churches split - say a group within Church A don’t like what’s going on, and take a bunch of members and go off and form their own church, the churches formed are often labeled non-denom, especially if the church they split from was also non-denom. So then they get accused of just picking what they want to belive and form their own church.

I just don’t like exclusivism for the sake of exclusivism - I see to much pride in being one thing or the other, and not enough emphasis on the central issues. Too much holding on to baggage.
Why equate non-denominational with picking and choosing? That seems to be the standard Catholic accusation for virtually everything - “cafeteria” Christian? It’s a big turn away.
I’ve asked plenty of questions and faced resentment or deletion of the threads for asking them.

A lot to address here Jack.

First, Catholicism is not exclusive for the sake of exclusion. It ‘is’ the one true faith; that isn’t something that is merely ‘claimed’. And what you ‘see’ is not necessarily what people themselves actually feel. I don’t attempt to tell you what you ‘feel’, and I think you would agree it would be presumptuous of you to tell me what I feel. This is especially true if people have told others that they feel something, only to be ‘corrected’ by another person and told that, 'no you REALLY feel different". If there’s ‘baggage’, I think one needs to be aware that it can be ‘personal’. . .

And non-denominational by its nature involves choice; that isn’t something that I claim or invented, either. Whether the assertion of that fact turns you away is your choice. One cannot have rights without responsibility.

If you have questions on a thread’s deletion, ask the moderators, for they are the ones who deal with this, not us posters.

Resentment is a feeling and a perception too. If you feel it, again, address it with the one you feel holds it (you might be quite pleasantly surprised to find out that resentment is the farthest thing from their minds, you know! :slight_smile: )

Well said.

Amen.

Classic example, the “wee frees” in Scotland - the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland split off from the Church of Scotland, then split itself into two groups.

If by that, you mean I may be carrying “baggage” - I concur, I have no doubt that I am.

Resentment is a feeling and a perception too. If you feel it, again, address it with the one you feel holds it (you might be quite pleasantly surprised to find out that resentment is the farthest thing from their minds, you know! :slight_smile: )

well, yes, this may be true
don’t you think there is a certain amount of defensiveness tho?
a feeling that rulings of the church don’t need to be justified, only obeyed?

The only real “non-denomination Christian” is a Catholic.

I am non-denominational.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.