Non Latin Rite Catholics and Easter

When do the non-Latin Rite Catholics celebrate Easter? Do they celebrate it the same day as the Orthodox?

[quote=amcalabrese]When do the non-Latin Rite Catholics celebrate Easter? Do they celebrate it the same day as the Orthodox?
[/quote]

One of the real Eastern Catholics on this board will probably have a better and more thorough answer, but I believe that it depends on the church and country. I know that there are Ruthenians in Eastern Europe who use the Julian calendar, but that the decision was made (or was, perhaps, imposed, but that’s another topic…) to stick with Gregorian Easter in the USA. I can’t tell you which particular churches are celebrating bright tuesday today, but I know there are several Catholic churches doing so.

[quote=CatholicNerd]One of the real Eastern Catholics on this board will probably have a better and more thorough answer, but I believe that it depends on the church and country. I know that there are Ruthenians in Eastern Europe who use the Julian calendar, but that the decision was made (or was, perhaps, imposed, but that’s another topic…) to stick with Gregorian Easter in the USA. I can’t tell you which particular churches are celebrating bright tuesday today, but I know there are several Catholic churches doing so.
[/quote]

I thought I had read that after a certain date agreed on by both Eastern and Latin Catholics and Orthodox that all would celebrate on the same Sunday from then on. Am I not remembering that correctly?

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]I thought I had read that after a certain date agreed on by both Eastern and Latin Catholics and Orthodox that all would celebrate on the same Sunday from then on. Am I not remembering that correctly?
[/quote]

One of my co-workers who is Greek Orthodox (not Eastern Rite Catholic) just celebrated Easter. That is why I was wondering.

Generally, in the Unites States and other nations where the Latin church is predominant, Byzantine Catholics observe the Gregorian Calendar used by the Latin Church. In Ukraine, the UGCC probably observes the Julian Calendar. I would imagine the same in Romania as well.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]I thought I had read that after a certain date agreed on by both Eastern and Latin Catholics and Orthodox that all would celebrate on the same Sunday from then on. Am I not remembering that correctly?
[/quote]

:hmmm:

CHRISTOS VOSKRES!
VO ISTINU VOSKRES!

The was a letter of intent that was agreed to by some of the Orthodox churches; HOWEVER, the Moscow Patriarchcate did not agree to it and they are they largest of the Orthodox churches these days.

There are Eastern Catholic churches that follow both the Gregorian calendar and the Julian calendar. Basically, those living in countries with a majority Latin Rite population use the Gregorian calendar. However there are many communities in Canada and some parts of the US with new emmigrants from Ukraine and they use the Julian calendar.

Eastern Rite Catholics in Ukraine, Belarus, Romania and Greece use the Julian calendar.

In the same idea, there are Latin Rite Catholics who use the Julian calendar for Christmas and Easter.

Hope this helps…

FELDAMADT KRISZTUS!
FALOBAN FELDAMADT!

We Melkites follow the Gregorian calendar and, therefore, celebrate Pascha (our term for Easter) at the same time as the Latin Rite Catholics. Our previous Patrariach had proposed that in the Middle East we follow the same calendar as the Orthodox, but that doesn’t seem to have happened.

Deacon Ed

Thanks all. That explains it for me (and to make it clear to the moderators – the question was about Catholics who followed one of the non Latin Rites, such as Byzantine or Ukranian Catholics.).

I would like to say that the date of Pascha is independent of which calendar a Church follows.

A Church could keep the Gregorian calendar and still keep the Orthodox date of Pascha as Pascha is a moveable feast.

The Ukrainian Catholic Church’s eparchy in Canada keeps the Orthodox Date for Pascha.

[quote=amcalabrese]When do the non-Latin Rite Catholics celebrate Easter? Do they celebrate it the same day as the Orthodox?
[/quote]

Although I am not Byzantine Rite, I happen to know that Pascha was celebrated on May 1 this year. It is always after the Hebrew Passover.

God Bless

[quote=Ignatius]Although I am not Byzantine Rite, I happen to know that Pascha was celebrated on May 1 this year. It is always after the Hebrew Passover.

God Bless
[/quote]

Well, that is true if you are Orthodox. We Melkites (and most other Eastern Catholics) celebrated Pasca on March 27.

Deacon Ed

[quote=Deacon Ed]Well, that is true if you are Orthodox. We Melkites (and most other Eastern Catholics) celebrated Pasca on March 27.

Deacon Ed
[/quote]

Ah! Thanks for the enlightenment Deacon Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.