Non ordained homily?

Is it ever acceptable to have a non-ordained person give a homily at mass?

I was taught you could have an interpreter of sorts in sacraments? Is this True or not?

Like if the priest is not able to give a homily what then?

Thanks for your answers :)

Since the publication of Redemptionis Sacramentum the Holy See has clarified that a member of the laity (i.e. not ordained) should not give a reflection during the homily. The preference for homilist is the celebrant, followed by concelebrating priest, and finally deacons.

So the answer to your question is no. It is never acceptable to have a member of the laity give the homily. If the priest or another member of the clergy cannot preach, then the homily would simply be skipped. While a homily should be given in the normal course of Sunday Mass, it is not strictly required.

The homily is reserved to the priest or deacon:

Can. 767 §1. Among the forms of preaching, the homily, which is part of the liturgy itself and is reserved to a priest or deacon, is preeminent; in the homily the mysteries of faith and the norms of Christian life are to be explained from the sacred text during the course of the liturgical year.

We were treated to a lengthy speech in the midst of father's homily by a 15 yr old girl his last week (she was graduating from our school). :eek:

Lay people are permitted to preach under certain circumstances. That is entirely different from delivering a homily.

[quote="TheWarriorMonk, post:3, topic:326094"]
The homily is reserved to the priest or deacon:

[/quote]

Can. 767 §1. Among the forms of preaching, the homily, which is part of the liturgy itself and is reserved to a priest or deacon, is preeminent; in the homily the mysteries of faith and the norms of Christian life are to be explained from the sacred text during the course of the liturgical year.

I wish our priest knew this. Our parish is a mission & the priest is absent once a month. He put together a rather strange liturgy to be used on those days (he said he took a bit of this and a bit of that to create it), & the lay people give a homily. One time the homily given by a layman was very Protestant - which was pointed out to him later by several people.

I just bought a copy of "Sunday Celebrations in the Absence of a Priest" from USCCB Communications. We're donating it to the parish. I hope it doesn't cause hurt feelings. But I'd rather have a correct liturgy.

[quote="PietroPaolo, post:4, topic:326094"]
We were treated to a lengthy speech in the midst of father's homily by a 15 yr old girl his last week (she was graduating from our school). :eek:

[/quote]

I do believe it is permissible AFTER the homily for a layperson to make a presentation for a cause. For example, a Sister or a Brother may make an appeal for a mission or for support for retired religious; a layperson may talk about stewardship to kick off the stewardship drive; etc. This is done at our parish occasionally, and high schoolers have spoken. But the homily must be given first. Also, it is probably better to make the presentation after Mass, but I believe after the homily is permitted.

If I am wrong, someone can correct me, but I did read this on CAF when someone asked a similar question.

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:7, topic:326094"]
I do believe it is permissible AFTER the homily for a layperson to make a presentation for a cause.

[/quote]

Might be wrong, but my memory is telling me it is permissible only at the end of Mass, before the dismissal.

I do believe it is permissible AFTER the homily for a layperson to make a presentation for a cause. For example, a Sister or a Brother may make an appeal for a mission or for support for retired religious; a layperson may talk about stewardship to kick off the stewardship drive; etc. This is done at our parish occasionally, and high schoolers have spoken. But the homily must be given first. Also, it is probably better to make the presentation after Mass, but I believe after the homily is permitted.

If I am wrong, someone can correct me, but I did read this on CAF when someone asked a similar question.

[/quote]

It used to be allowed, but it is not supposed to be done anymore. Here are the parts of RS that prohibits it.

[64.] The homily, which is given in the course of the celebration of Holy Mass and is a part of the Liturgy itself, "should ordinarily be given by the Priest celebrant himself. He may entrust it to a concelebrating Priest or occasionally, according to circumstances, to a Deacon, but never to a layperson. In particular cases and for a just cause, the homily may even be given by a Bishop or a Priest who is present at the celebration but cannot concelebrate”.

[65.] It should be borne in mind that any previous norm that may have admitted non-ordained faithful to give the homily during the eucharistic celebration is to be considered abrogated by the norm of canon 767 §1. This practice is reprobated, so that it cannot be permitted to attain the force of custom.

[66.] The prohibition of the admission of laypersons to preach within the Mass applies also to seminarians, students of theological disciplines, and those who have assumed the function of those known as “pastoral assistants”; nor is there to be any exception for any other kind of layperson, or group, or community, or association.

The homily is supposed to be about the word of God and not a time for annoucments or appeals. It is appropriate for father to mention it and to allow them to speak right before dismissal, but it should not be given during the homily.

[/quote]

It was more in the midst of than after the homily. Father gave the beginning of his homily, sat down, the young lady got up and gave a 5 - 10 min speech, then father finished the homily. The homily and the speech were related topically, making matters worse (it wasn't an appeal or an update on the youth group or anything). To further complicate things, we had two priests concelebrating the Mass! You'd think between the two of them they wouldn't have needed a third (lay) person.

Only an ordained clergyman may give the homily in the Mass.

Announcements may be made by any person after the Prayer Following Communion, prior to the Final Blessing. This should not be a homily though.

I believe, however, (don't quote me on this) it is acceptable for any properly disposed Catholic to preach at liturgies outside of Mass (e.g.: Divine Office, Holy Hour, et c.), or outside of liturgy.

[/quote]

According to the rubrics, after the homily is a period of silence and then the Gloria (Sundays and Solemnites).

A reflection by a layperson is neither a period of silence, nor the Gloria.

The correct placement for such a talk is after the period of silence following Communion and before the final blessing.

And there is an exception to the rule of non-ordained homilies. The Order of Preachers (Dominicans) have a Papal License to preach, which has been interpreted as Papal permission to give homilies.,

So if a non-ordained Dominican Friar gives the homily, it's OK :cool:

[quote="Brendan, post:12, topic:326094"]
According to the rubrics, after the homily is a period of silence and then the Gloria (Sundays and Solemnites).

A reflection by a layperson is neither a period of silence, nor the Gloria.

The correct placement for such a talk is after the period of silence following Communion and before the final blessing.

[/quote]

I think you meant to say the Creed. The Gloria is after the penitential rite.

[quote="Brendan, post:13, topic:326094"]
And there is an exception to the rule of non-ordained homilies. The Order of Preachers (Dominicans) have a Papal License to preach, which has been interpreted as Papal permission to give homilies.,

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.