Non-Orthodox/Catholic: When did the reformation end?

Or has it ended?

Is there a time frame you can point to that is the beginning of your own denomination?

If so, did your denoms teachings develop or were they derived from purging “untruths” from the Catholic Church and/or the first reformers ideas?

He has not ended.

Every Tom, Richard, and Harry that thinks his current Church is not right, he goes and starts his own church to reform bad teachings…

The church I go to now started as a bible study in someone’s basement in the late 60’s and grew into a 400 or so member church.:shrug:

So I guess our beliefs came from the bible and had nothing to do with the reformation since they werent protesting anyone just studying the bible.:shrug: Thats all I know I was in the episcopal church while my current church was being born. :smiley: :wink:

Did you leave the Episcopal Church because you were dissatisfied, or did you “grow” into the beliefs of your new Church?

I actually left the EC when I was 13 because I was told I could. Parents should never do that:eek: My mom allowed me not to go to church anymore.

When I started looking again for a church when I was in my late 20’s–I was no longer satisfied with how liberal the EC was starting to become.:frowning: Good thing because look how they turned out.:frowning:

I was already saved before I went to my church.:thumbsup:

Of course you were, you were baptised as an infant right?

John 3:5 Jesus answered: Amen, amen, I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Of course that was just the start of it, God holds on to us that have been baptised with water and spirit and then endures to the end.

[size=1]Mark 13:13[/size] And you shall be hated by all men for my name’s sake. But he that shall endure unto the end, he shall be saved.

As to the reformation, it will be over when the Church is in one accord again…

Just has Paul instructed the Ephesians, may we all take head,
*With all humility and mildness, with patience, supporting one another in charity. *Careful to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. One body and one Spirit: as you are called in one hope of your calling. One Lord, one faith, one baptism. One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in us all. But to every one of us is given grace, according to the measure of the giving of Christ. [size=1]Epheisians 4:2 - 7[/size]

Or has it ended?

Good question! Hopefully, the reformation of God’s original Church is an active process. The fact of the matter is, though it would be the simplest solution to the matter and, therefore, is viewed as very desirable, the claim to sole ecclesiastical infallibility of the Catholic Church does little to convince me (and many others) that its doctrines are all, 100% Scripturally sound. I am willing to admit that every denomination, or nondenomination, for that matter, is imperfect in doctrine due to the fallen nature of the humans interpreting the Scriptures, who are unable to, with perfect clarity and ease, discern between fallacy and pure Truth in many parts of the Word. However, our understanding here on earth does not HAVE to be perfect. After all, do we not all know that we are saved by faith in the redemptive work of our God and Savior, Yeshua Messiah (Rom. 1:17, 2:23-24)? Do we not all know that baptism is that sacred rite by which, as was commanded by him, we are saved, cleansed, and admitted into his Church (alright, some may deny this, but they forsake the Scriptures: Matt. 28:19, 1 Peter 3:21). Do we not agree Christ is true God, true Man (Jn. 1:1, Phil. 2:6-8), the One and Only of God (John 1:18, 3:16), Son of the Virgin Mary (Matt. 1:18, Lk. 1:28) that he died voluntarily in our stead, to bring a right, restored relationship with our Maker (2 Cor. 5:21, Rom. 5:10-11, Heb. 10:19)?

Is there a time frame you can point to that is the beginning of your own denomination?

I, in the most technical sense, do not belong to any denomination. I do not believe in divisions within the Church. I would say non-denominationalism, though, is fairly modern in its current form, yet has its direct link to the Early Church via the holy Scriptures.

If so, did your denoms teachings develop or were they derived from purging “untruths” from the Catholic Church and/or the first reformers ideas?

It had more to do with restoring the unity of the Catholic Church without the false pretense of infallibility.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.