Non Scriptural References to Christ

I hear a lot of the whole “Jesus was just a moral teacher, not a prophet thing” from non-Christians.

What I’d like to ask for here is anyone who has links to non-scriptural referneces to Jesus to post them. I want to see what we can know about Jesus outside of the Bible. As far as I know, we can’t even know he was a moral teacher as it isn’t mentioned anywhere. If you can’t find any non-scriptural evidence supporting Him as a moral teacher, then it seems to hurt the argument that thats all He was…

John 4:

16] Jesus said to her, "Go, call your husband, and come here."
17] The woman answered him, “I have no husband.” Jesus said to her, "You are right in saying, `I have no husband’;
18] for you have had five husbands, and he whom you now have is not your husband; this you said truly."
19] The woman said to him, "Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet.

Here is scriptual quote supporting Jesus as a prophet. Thats the best I can do.

westarkchurchofchrist.org/library/extrabiblical.htm

Here’s a ton of non-scriptural references to Christ. :smiley:

Just to pick one example: The Gospel of Mary, which isn’t scriptural, yet references Christ.

The confrontation of Mary with Peter, a scenario also found in The Gospel of Thomas, Pistis Sophia, and The Gospel of the Egyptians, reflects some of the tensions in second-century Christianity. Peter and Andrew represent orthodox positions that deny the validity of esoteric revelation and reject the authority of women to teach. The Gospel of Mary attacks both of these positions head-on through its portrayal of Mary Magdalene. She is the Savior’s beloved, possessed of knowledge and teaching superior to that of the public apostolic tradition. Her superiority is based on vision and private revelation and is demonstrated in her capacity to strengthen the wavering disciples and turn them toward the Good.

[quote=johnq]John 4:

16] Jesus said to her, "Go, call your husband, and come here."
17] The woman answered him, “I have no husband.” Jesus said to her, "You are right in saying, `I have no husband’;
18] for you have had five husbands, and he whom you now have is not your husband; this you said truly."
19] The woman said to him, "Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet.

Here is scriptual quote supporting Jesus as a prophet. Thats the best I can do.
[/quote]

I was reffering to non-Scriptural evidence.

If there is any other non-scriptural evidence or references to Christ, keep em coming!

and thanks to the both of you:)

Also, I know that **Josephus **wrote something about the Christians. I read the version on the site, Adventist, but I know some Christians have altered what he has written. Do you know if thats the orginal? or where I can find the original?

We can’t even know he was a moral teacher as it isn’t mentioned anywhere

:banghead: Are you MAD! Its mentioned in the Gospels all the time! To give but one example; read Mathew 5:1- 7:28 and Luke 6:20-26. The Sermon on the Mount (or plain in Luke). I came not to abolish the Law (morals and the Covenant) but to fulfill them. But Christ was not just a moral teacher and certainly not ‘only’ a moral teacher. He was much, much more. He was and is the Son of God most high and we owe him worship and adoration all the days of our life.

Stop reading Paulho Coelho and start reading Mark, Luke, Mathew and John (in that order).

Hey, what’s wrong with Paulho Coelho? His The Alchemist is da bomb. :slight_smile:

For those who have a problem with Josephus: tektonics.org/TK-J.html

Scroll down to Josephus

[quote=Cockney Clive]:banghead: Are you MAD! Its mentioned in the Gospels all the time! To give but one example; read Mathew 5:1- 7:28 and Luke 6:20-26. The Sermon on the Mount (or plain in Luke). I came not to abolish the Law (morals and the Covenant) but to fulfill them. But Christ was not just a moral teacher and certainly not ‘only’ a moral teacher. He was much, much more. He was and is the Son of God most high and we owe him worship and adoration all the days of our life.

Stop reading Paulho Coelho and start reading Mark, Luke, Mathew and John (in that order).
[/quote]

Haha don’t worry. I’m not questioning his divinity. I am only looking for references to him being ONLY a moral teacher, which is what I meant. From what I had known, the only accounts of what he said came from the Bible, and since he claims to be God in the Bible, if thats the only place where we have His words, then we simply can’t say he is just a moral teacher. The info might come in handy.

Here is one web page that briefly** adresses the textual criticism of Josephus’ statement: ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Topics/JewishJesus/josephus.html

Happily enough, it link to some other possible early Jewish testimony on Christ: ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Topics/JewishJesus/

Hope it helps.
:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.