Non SFO Franciscan "Third Orders"?

I know that St Max's version of Franciscans have their own Third Order.

marymediatrix.com/religious-life/third-order-of-the-immaculate

None out here, though:(

Any other non-SFO* Franciscan Third Orders?

*I mean absolutely no disrespect to the SFO, I just had several very bad experiences with them and am looking for other avenues.:)

Discalced Carmelite Order
discalcedcarmelites.net/

Lay Dominicans
3op.org/

Benedictine Oblates
osb.org/obl/intro.html

Seeing that you listed the Discalced Third Order I will just take this as an over sight.

Third Order Carmelites

[quote="ByzCath, post:3, topic:228416"]
Seeing that you listed the Discalced Third Order I will just take this as an over sight.

Third Order Carmelites

[/quote]

Nah, they don't count...just kidding!

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:1, topic:228416"]
I know that St Max's version of Franciscans have their own Third Order.

marymediatrix.com/religious-life/third-order-of-the-immaculate

None out here, though:(

Any other non-SFO* Franciscan Third Orders?

*I mean absolutely no disrespect to the SFO, I just had several very bad experiences with them and am looking for other avenues.:)

[/quote]

Some relatives of mine also had problems with the SFO, they found that there are several Ecumenical orders that are Franciscan in name and outlook (ecumenical because they are open to non-Catholic Christians as well as Catholics). They are happy in their ecumenical order.

[quote="ByzCath, post:3, topic:228416"]

Third Order Carmelites

[/quote]

Into this I have been accepted as an aspirant!:thumbsup::)

I am interested in Franciscan orders :slight_smile:

If you want a Franciscan Order that is secular, the SFO is it, as far as full-fledged canonical Orders go. There are lay associations connected to many groups of friars, nuns, and sisters, though!

That’s what I’m looking for.

Then what you’re looking at is not technically an order, but an association or affiliation. Those are going to be local entities, then, attached to local monasteries, friaries, what have you. So it would be good to start in your geographical area, looking at all the Franciscan groups out there. You could google to find out which Franciscan province you’re in, and then call up and ask what all is in your province that you could explore.

[quote="EvelynEVF, post:10, topic:228416"]
Then what you're looking at is not technically an order, but an association or affiliation. Those are going to be local entities, then, attached to local monasteries, friaries, what have you. So it would be good to start in your geographical area, looking at all the Franciscan groups out there. You could google to find out which Franciscan province you're in, and then call up and ask what all is in your province that you could explore.

[/quote]

Ok here you go from top of my head..I included all the historical ones which still exist (some official names may be a wee bit off they change and have had different names down through the centuries):

Secular Franciscans (Franciscan Tertiaries)
Lay Dominicans ( Dominican Tertiaries)
Secular Order of the Most Holy Trinity (Trinitarian Tertiaries)
Mercedarian Third Order (Mercedarian Tertiaries)
Lay Carmelite Third Order (Carmelite Tertiaries)
Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites (Discalced Carmelite Tertiaries)
Secular Servites (Servite Tertiaries)
Secular Augustinians (Augustinian Tertiaries)
Secular Augustinian Recollects (Augustinian Recollect Tertiaries)

Some others existed in the past...for some Orders that have only one branch today..had more than one in history. Such as a discalced branch. The above however all exist currently.

[quote="EvelynEVF, post:8, topic:228416"]
If you want a Franciscan Order that is secular, the SFO is it

[/quote]

Actually SFO is not the only one...

(and the SFO are an association by the way...)

See above post

[quote="Bookcat, post:13, topic:228416"]
Actually SFO is not the only one...

(and the SFO are an association by the way...)

See above post

[/quote]

Opps...misread :)

Phew! I saw your first post and wondered what must have been in your Wheaties :slight_smile:

Luigi, are you still an Oblate (Benedictine) novice?

[quote="CatholicFireman, post:16, topic:228416"]
Luigi, are you still an Oblate (Benedictine) novice?

[/quote]

Yes, sir. I have about 8 months or so until permanent oblation:)

Love my community very much. The monks (well, monk) is no longer traveling to our meetings, though :( Can't really blame him; it's 4 hours both ways

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:17, topic:228416"]
Yes, sir. I have about 8 months or so until permanent oblation:)

Love my community very much. The monks (well, monk) is no longer traveling to our meetings, though :( Can't really blame him; it's 4 hours both ways

[/quote]

That's very cool. Good luck (you are in my prayers). I'm sending a letter of inquiry to Mount Michael Benedictine Abbey. I think they accept long distant Oblates.

I didn't know you could be an Oblate and a Third Order Franciscan. :confused:

[quote="CatholicFireman, post:18, topic:228416"]
That's very cool. Good luck (you are in my prayers). I'm sending a letter of inquiry to Mount Michael Benedictine Abbey. I think they accept long distant Oblates.

I didn't know you could be an Oblate and a Third Order Franciscan. :confused:

[/quote]

Thank you so much. You will love it. So orthodox and traditional. Reading the Rule every day, and particularly praying Lauds and Vespers keeps me grounded. Please let me know (either here or via PM) how it turns out for you. Prayers offered :)

I believe that you can be both....

To be clear: I have no interest really in being a Third Order (SFO). I just love Francis and Padre Pio a lot and wouldn't mind "hearing" from them, too. :)

To be clear: I have no interest really in being a Third Order (SFO). I just love Francis and Padre Pio a lot and wouldn't mind "hearing" from them, too.

I'm with you on that! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.