Non-virgin considering entering the priesthood

Hello.

Some of you may have read another post about this in a different thread, but I am just worried about this detail of my life.

I am a 17 year old man, and I have previously taken part in pre-marital sex. I have repented, asked God for forgiveness, and sought to learn from my past mistakes.

So, I am just wondering, will I still be allowed to enter priesthood even though I made this mistake in my past?

Yes.

St. Augustine had at least one child with his mistress.

St. Paul took part in murder.

St Augustine completely changed himself after his conversion; he turned away from a life of indulgence; he had had at least one child.

St Peter denied Christ three times on the night he was betrayed.

St Paul held coats at the stoning of St. Stephen.

St Thomas did not have faith enough to believe in the ressurection.

St Ralph Sherwin threatened his superiors with a sword when he was in Seminary.

St Guntramnus had his doctor murdered

St Margaret of Cortona committed adultery before she became pious.

St Pelagia of Antioch committed suicide.

Just a few examples of well revered people who are clearly not perfect. Do not worry so heavily upon what you have done; you have confessed and you have been forgiven.

These people are Saints, certainly you can discern for the Priesthood even despite your msitake; which as you have confessed has been completely forgiven.

Same thing with me, TheLizardKing (granted, I’m 21 though, but that’s unimportant…)

But anyway, I asked someone about my “eligibility” to the priesthood because of my previous actions. He responded, “God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.”

That really helped me.

Here’s a couple of guys who did far worse, but became priests: (MP3 audio files)

alabamacatholicresources.com/Downloads/Donald_Calloway_Conversion.mp3

alabamacatholicresources.com/Downloads/Fr_John_Corapi_Conversion.mp3

thank you all very much for your answers! i feel a lot better now

I second what everyone else here has said, and I would also suggest that you read "Saints Behaving Badly" and research the life of Fr. Don Calloway... :)

fathercalloway.com/bio/ytvideo.php?id=1

TheLizardKing, you can definitely enter the priesthood. I myself am a year older than you, and I have made the same mistake. Yet today I got the call from the vocation office of my diocese telling me that they had accepted my application for the seminary! If I can do it, then you most certainly can too.

[quote="Biedrik, post:8, topic:206740"]
TheLizardKing, you can definitely enter the priesthood. I myself am a year older than you, and I have made the same mistake. Yet today I got the call from the vocation office of my diocese telling me that they had accepted my application for the seminary! If I can do it, then you most certainly can too.

[/quote]

Congratulations and thank you! I'll remember you tonight during my rosary.

[quote="TheLizardKing, post:1, topic:206740"]
Hello.

Some of you may have read another post about this in a different thread, but I am just worried about this detail of my life.

I am a 17 year old man, and I have previously taken part in pre-marital sex. I have repented, asked God for forgiveness, and sought to learn from my past mistakes.

So, I am just wondering, will I still be allowed to enter priesthood even though I made this mistake in my past?

[/quote]

You are fine.

I know of guys who used to run drugs or perhaps worse. The Lord takes all kinds.

You should read a copy of St. Augustine's Confessions. I think the Chadwick translation is the best. An amazing book.

You might also try to listen to some talks by Father John Corapi. Like the ancient bishop of Hippo, Father Corapi walked some very dark paths before his conversion.

Go forward in peace.

I recommend reading “To Save A Thousand Souls” by Fr. Brannen

vianneyvocations.com/store/

Almost done with the book and has helped me A WHOLE LOT!!! Answered so many questions and has helped me deepen my discerning.

:Blessyou:

[quote="TheLizardKing, post:1, topic:206740"]
Hello.

[/quote]

Of course, as long as you never have sex again. God is forgiveness - you now know how easy it is to fall.

I'm 44 and a virgin so I know its a struggle but I hope people like me that live without sex our whole lives like you will from now on, are an encouragement.

God bless!

[quote="Biedrik, post:8, topic:206740"]
today I got the call from the vocation office of my diocese telling me that they had accepted my application for the seminary! If I can do it, then you most certainly can too.

[/quote]

Congratulations. My prayers will be with you on your journey!

Oprah - Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist
Another myth is that a woman has to be a virgin to become a nun. “If there are any young women out there that are interested in the religious life and they happen to have had sex, is it possible if they could enter the convent? Yes,” Sister Maria says. "[They have] to prove that they have been living a chaste life prior to entering. They would also be committed to living chastely for the rest of their lives."
oprah.com/oprahshow/Lisa-Ling-Goes-Inside-a-Convent/print/1

[quote="JoyfulLife, post:16, topic:206740"]
Oprah - Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist
Another myth is that a woman has to be a virgin to become a nun. "If there are any young women out there that are interested in the religious life and they happen to have had sex, is it possible if they could enter the convent? Yes," Sister Maria says. "[They have] to prove that they have been living a chaste life prior to entering. They would also be committed to living chastely for the rest of their lives."
oprah.com/oprahshow/Lisa-Ling-Goes-Inside-a-Convent/print/1

[/quote]

Most convents do not require virginity of their candidates. Some convents do need to know if the woman is a virgin (if she chooses to receive the consecration of virginity). For example, it is traditional for the Carthusian nuns to receive the consecration of virgins. Obviously, non virgins cannot receive it. Bottom line is that virginity is only required when the nun wishes to receive the consecration of virgins. Further, "sisters" do not need to be virgins because sisters by definition are not allowed to receive the consecration of virgins. Thus virginity in them is a moot point.

From what I've read regarding seminarians at Mundelein, you may be required to have been chaste/celibate/not sexually active for two years prior to entering the seimnary (this is from memory from years ago, so I may be wrong about the details, I just remember the "two year" rule mentioned).

This is an old thread. But if the OP is around it would be nice to hear whatever happened.

[quote="The_Scott, post:4, topic:206740"]
Same thing with me, TheLizardKing (granted, I'm 21 though, but that's unimportant...)

But anyway, I asked someone about my "eligibility" to the priesthood because of my previous actions. He responded, "God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called."

That really helped me.

[/quote]

Nice quote!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.