Nooma Nights?

Have you heard of this? Our church is showing the series of films this summer. Just wondering if they are ok. Our pastor has been known to let things happen that aren’t exactly orthodox. I have received multiple invites from the person putting it on and I KNOW she isn’t orthodox.

Why would a Parish offer a series of aplolgetic works that are not Catholic, written by this self proclaimed preacher? Good heavens, get this out of your Parish! There are great Catholic resources out there, heck, right here on this web site!!

marshill.org/about/rob/

He stands for Sola Fide.

Some more interesting stuff…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Bell

In his writings, Bell affirms things as truth regardless of the source, saying “I affirm the truth anywhere in any religious system, in any worldview. If it’s true, it belongs to God.”[12] However, he acknowledges Scripture as the authoritative source of truth by which to compare all other truths in the Mars Hill Bible Church statement of narrative theology.
Bell says, “This is not just the same old message with new methods. We’re rediscovering Christianity as an Eastern religion, as a way of life. Legal metaphors for faith don’t deliver a way of life. We grew up in churches where people knew the nine verses why we don’t speak in tongues, but had never experienced the overwhelming presence of God.”[6] Bell’s comments about Christianity as an “Eastern” religion come from his association with Ray Vander Laan,[13] who compares and contrasts Greek (“Western”) thinking with Hebrew (“Eastern”) thinking.[14]
According to Mark Driscoll, Rob Bell suggested the virgin birth was not essential to the Christian faith in Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith, on one page,[15] while confirming it on the next,[16] and seemed to question the doctrine of sola scriptura on one page,[17] while affirming it on the next.[18]

Uggghhhh…

Those videos were shown at some of our events when I was involved with a United Methodist student ministry before I became Catholic. Even we made fun of them if that tells you anything. Our director was an ordained minister in the UMC, and a big fan of the “Emergent” church movement. He loved them.

I would stay away if I were you.

I just watched the Rain one.

I didn’t like it at all. It has nothing to do with content, but everything to do with tone and appearance.

The sound and tone of the guy’s voice was more than a tad creepy. I also felt like his actions and facial expressions were forced. Very awkward. Very weird. Very creepy.

I dunno. It was just a total turn-off. I would only need that reason to avoid them.

Ew.

I’ve seen a few of the videos, and I didn’t mind them that much. As long as they’re not seen as “Gospel truth”, I think they’re fine.

Stay away completely. Rob Bell and his church, Mars Hill are almost literally in my parent’s backyard in Grandville, MI (suburb of Grand Rapids). He is a leader in the Emergent Church movement along with Brian MacLaren. His ideas are very liberal and relativist.

If you want to understand more of the Emergent church movement, and excellent book is Why We’re not Emergent by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck. Here’s a link to the book at Barnes and Noble. I got it from my public library.

These guys are not Catholic, but their assessment of the Emergents is spot-on. I would recommend you read it and give a copy to your priest. Catholics are generally uneducated about it. I had to as it is in my neighborhood, and it almost took my son away from me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.