North Korea moves a step closer to firing its long-range missile (but insists it's only to launch a satellite to survey the countryside)

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126900/North-Korea-moves-step-closer-firing-long-range-missile-insists-launch-satellite-survey-countryside.html

Is North Korea a threat to the West? Most of the time I hear about threats coming from Iran or China.

I live in Seoul, South Korea, and I see U.S. soldiers every day. I think we should first direct our attention here to the appalling human rights record of North Korea. Right now we have an effective holocaust in process and it seems nothing can be done about it. The history of Catholicism in the country is worth investigating in itself.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholicism_in_North_Korea

If 50,000 Catholics are imprisoned there, it is quite horrific to imagine the conditions they may be enduring based on defectors’ testimonies. Not to mention the many others imprisoned for other reasons. Tomorrow Washington is to host a forum on North Korean human rights incidentally.

As for North Korea’s nuclear capabilities, yes we should be concerned in as much as we should be concerned about any rogue state or group of terrorists aiming to develop such weaponry. In this case, Pyongyang is apparently gearing itself up for another nuclear test as well as this satellite launch. The likely scenario will be much posturing from both sides and further sanctions from the U.N., but with hands tied due to considerations of the North Korean people, and China propping up the country in the interests of stability.

I think given China’s involvement with North Korea as a principle aid provider, the U.S. should be working ever closely with Beijing, rather than fearing China. Of all nations, China probably has the least to gain from such a conflict on its doorstep. The decisive moment or moments will likely come when and if the Koreas are unified.

Ever since the truce ending the Korean War, The Chinese have used N. Korea to threaten the west for political reasons. The N. Koreans keep on threatening the US and Japan on their own in order to be paid off so they behave themselves. They know they will get away with it because the US is spread too thin in other areas of Asia to be able to control N. Korea. I predict that this will continue until one day they will threaten Japan directly and Japan will turn their whole country into a parking lot. And China will not come to their rescue because not only do they not want a major war, we just owe them too much money-which they will forfeit if they have military action with us.
The real threat is not N. Korea, but Iran and their partner in terrorism, Pakistan. I think our government is perparing our people for a WW III scenario where we will be fighting Shiite Moslem countries, with much of the war financed by the Saudis, much like the Kuwaiti war was.
Russia will scream about it, but will make money from all sides selling arms, petroleum products, and industrial goods to everyone with cash.

north korea has a new leader now. maybe he is being manipulated to do this by people who want north korea to be seen as a strong power or perhaps their new leader is testing his boundaries to see what he can get away with.
yes, the people over there are starving. hopefully, someday, the north koreans will have the same freedoms as do the people of south korea.

As for North Korea’s nuclear capabilities, yes we should be concerned in as much as we should be concerned about any rogue state or group of terrorists aiming to develop such weaponry. In this case, Pyongyang is apparently gearing itself up for another nuclear test as well as this satellite launch. The likely scenario will be much posturing from both sides and further sanctions from the U.N., but with hands tied due to considerations of the North Korean people, and China propping up the country in the interests of stability.http://www.keyforex.info/g.gif

Let’s not forget the supportive relationship between North Korea and Iran. Between them they could really be a problem.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.