Northern Ireland Bakery to Be Prosecuted for Refusal to Bake Cake in Support of Gay Marriage

The bakery of a Christian family had refused to bake a cake with the slogan, “Support Gay Marriage,” on it, to comemorate International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia.
see www.christiandaily.com/article/northern.ireland.bakery.to.be.prosecuted.for.refusal.to.bake.cake.in.support.of.gay.marriage/49386.htm

This to me is baiting. They had to know the bakery. They certainly have bakers who are sympathic to homosexuals and would have happily obliged with out a lawsuit. If all else failed, they could have bought a cake and decorated it themselves. Obviously, they wanted a fight.

I’m pretty sure that there are gay establishments that do not cater to hetrosexuals, don’t want them as customers, and would not encourage their business. I’ve been in gay bars, gay restaurants, and a gay b &b. Didn’t know. We were treated politely but we got the message.

Funny how this never happens to Muslims, Jews or other minority business owners in the EU and North America.

We all have our crosses to bear. Muslims & Jews included. At this point in time however, Catholics and Catholic businesses are being targeted. Similar to how it was in the 19th century when an influx of Catholic immigrants came about in the U.S. The Ku Klux Klan attacked honest business owners whom were Catholic and sought legal action against them. We should pray for the people who’ve done this to the owners of the bakery.

When I hear of news like this, I immediately sink into a pit of sadness, to know that such hate for us still exists.

If I were a baker, I would not refuse to make the cake. I would simply tell them that I donate x% of all sales to defense of marriage charities. That should make them go somewhere else.

With that said, it is RIDICULOUS that bakers and people in the marriage industry are not allowed to turn business down for religious reasons.

An old Northern Irish joke (a dark one, spawned during the height of “the troubles”) – ended with the punchline that among the the most promising job openings there were there was - “door gunner on a bakery truck”.

I’m rethinking that punchline as a possible prophecy if this kind of garbage keeps up.

WHO is the prosecutor? Make him gone politically ASAP.

You have to support that which you don’t agree with? That is tyranny and the enforcer is a tyrant or a lickspittle cringing coward. In either case the people of Northern Ireland would be well rid of him (or her). Oh WAIT. There IS no person in the story. It’s a group. A TAX SUPPORTED group with unlimited funds! :eek:

The Northern Ireland-based Ashers Baking Company was told by the Equality Commission that they would be facing a sexual orientation discrimination case because they chose not to make a cake – which requested to have Sesame Street Characters Bert and Ernie with the slogan "Support Gay Marriage on it – from a pro-gay activist in Belfast.

Read more: christiandaily.com/article/northern.ireland.bakery.to.be.prosecuted.for.refusal.to.bake.cake.in.support.of.gay.marriage/49386.htm#ixzz3IRGWMGCZ

How about this in the meanwhile:

– join with the creators of the muppets to sue the couple and the Equality Commission for conspiring to violate the copyright of the Bert and Ernie franchise.

– Bake the cake out of inedible materials (cement?) and frost it with the “support” of Bert and Ernie being a gallows (and plead artistic freedom). Then charge them 100 times the usual rate (make them sign for the cake through a delivery company) payable only via a perpetual and progressive billing system due to the fact that it is a special order and has special conditions attached.

The latter is roughly the counter-strategy employed against the villianous law manipulating character of Shylock in the Merchant of Venice. Basically (spoiler) he was “hoisted on his own petard”.

As this site shows, the same idea was put forth in “Hamlet”.

idioms.thefreedictionary.com/hoist+with+own+petard

***hoist with one’s own petard

Fig. to be harmed or disadvantaged by an action of one’s own which was meant to harm someone else. (From a line in Shakespeare’s Hamlet.) She intended to murder her brother but was hoist with her own petard when she ate the poisoned food intended for him. The vandals were hoist with their own petard when they tried to make an emergency call from the pay phone they had broken.
See also: hoist, petard***

What’s really scary is that there are business that are being prosecuted in states where gay marriage is not even legal. So now a business cannot refuse to take part in an illegal activity? Madness.

The gay enforcement tyranny targets its latest victim. Only unconditional surrender will be accepted.

This really takes the CAKE!

ICXC NIKA

There’s another story here in the States about a printer refusing to make T-shirts with a pro gay slogan on them. He too is being sued BUT a lesbian group came to his defense stating that he’s within his rights just as a lesbian printer would be in her rights to refuse to make T-shirts with a slogan against homosexuals. Right on! :thumbsup:

You have to understand the six counties a bit to understand this article. The north is very religious in some areas a way the rest of Ireland is not for the most part any more. There is a strong tradition of Bible only fundamentalist Churches and the gents putting in this order would be well aware of the beliefs of the bakery chain owner as the six counties has a population of under 2 million and the chain has a number of shops. Many of those fundamentalist Christians would have extremely scathing things to say about Catholicism although I would bake their right not to bake this cake just as I would back the right of a bakery run by gay individuals not to bake a cake that highlighted a message that gay marriage is evil.

There are practically no Jews in the north (there are only a few thousand in Ireland as a whole) and these people placing the order would be far too media savvy to target them if they were.

Same party and political machines in both cases, just different demographic groups now that the same people target and patronize.

I think most of us here sound like we recognize this as basically the 21st century inquisition where the people must publicly embrace Dogma XYZ or face the penalty. This has resulted in number of white martyrs.

One thing I would add to the baker’s comment, is that although this cake is clearly a violation of the baker’s religious sentiments, it should still be refusable even if it wasn’t. For example, if it was a cake for a bachelor party with a stripper on it. Or if it was a cake for a party supporting a hike in taxes on bakers. Or if there was a baker in Ferguson and either an anti-police or pro-police customer wanted a cake expressing that sentiment. Etc… This idea that refusal to support cause X with your business is somehow bigotry (when it is the exact opposite––bigotry against the baker) is the latest in a pile of evidence that will render this generation as one of the most demented in history.

Genuinely curious if the conservative posters here would support someone denying flowers/cakes to interracial couples based on religious convictions. I hope not. The same principle applies to the case here. :mad:

We object to it due to active homosexuality been against our Churches teaching. Also you will note in my post I pointed out I would support a gay bakery not offering to bake cakes for those they disagree with. The attempt to compare this to struggles for civil rights in the past is an attempt to browbeat people into silence by playing a guilt trip card. There are those of us here at CAF here who that will not work on for a variety of reasons. Some of us are non-American and the civil rights analogy has less force (in some respects for us), although in my particular case I would point out Catholics have had to enage in civil rights struggles of their own in the same era that blacks in the US were.

Progressive Catholicism that seeks to challenge the truths of our faith is destructive and not progressive.

I agree that it’s madness. The spirit of the Antichrist is in the world, and it’s a spirit of lawlessness.

“So that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name.” Revelation 13:17

“During periods of stress and trial - chiefly when every lawlessness of act seems permitted to the powers of darkness - it has been the custom in the Church to plead with special fervour and perseverance to God, her author and protector, by recourse to the intercession of the saints - and chiefly of the Blessed Virgin, Mother of God - whose patronage has ever been the most efficacious.” - Pope Leo XIII

“When all this is considered there is good reason to fear lest this great perversity may be as it were a foretaste, and perhaps the beginning of those evils which are reserved for the last days; and that there may be already in the world the “Son of Perdition” of whom the Apostle speaks (II. Thess. ii., 3). Such, in truth, is the audacity and the wrath employed everywhere in persecuting religion, in combating the dogmas of the faith, in brazen effort to uproot and destroy all relations between man and the Divinity! While, on the other hand, and this according to the same apostle is the distinguishing mark of Antichrist, man has with infinite temerity put himself in the place of God, raising himself above all that is called God; in such wise that although he cannot utterly extinguish in himself all knowledge of God, he has contemned God’s majesty and, as it were, made of the universe a temple wherein he himself is to be adored.” - Pope St. Pius X

If it were a legitimately recognized religion, I would respect it. I’m not aware of any such religion, though. But all three monotheist religions hold the belief that homosexual acts are a grave sin. But I do kind of agree with you, also. Where do you draw the line and still maintain a civil society where everyone has rights? It’s tough. The rights of gays vs. the rights of Christians. Who’s rights trump the other’s? Who wins, who loses? It’s not easy.

You know what I think? As if my opinion matters! :stuck_out_tongue: I think that Christian business should tell gay couples that they are sinning. Tell it right to their faces. Then the Christian business should go ahead and serve the gay couple just like any other couple, shake the dust from their feet, and move on.

To do so would be participating in scandal.A better idea would be the Christian business telling the gay couple that no,they will not and cannot participate in endorsing SSMarriages.They could then have a referral list of businesses that would be willing to accommodate them.
Of course this is just too easy a solution,the gay couple really are more interested in forcing their lifestyle onto Christians.Soooooo tolerant of them:rolleyes:

An interracial couple might order a cake that says, “Support Interracial Marriage”, but that sounds a bit odd.

Suppose that the people who are ordering the cake are confident that race is merely a social construct, and that there is no biological reality corresponding to race. In that case, an alternative message on the cake might be, “Let No Mere Social Construct Separate What God Has Joined Together.”

If it is the same principle, then are male and female merely social constructs with no biological reality corresponding to them? Alternatively, are you ready to assert that people who say that race is merely a social construct are definitely wrong, and you are right?

I support the right of any business person to refuse to do a service they find immoral or objectionable.

Some other cake decorations I think that could be refused; a swastika cake, a KKK cake, a ‘Kill all the Jews’ cake, ‘Swing party at my house’ cake, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.