Norway becomes first country in the world to commit to zero deforestation

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/norway-becomes-first-country-in-the-world-to-commit-to-zero-deforestation-a7064056.html

**Norway has become the first country in the world to commit to zero deforestation.

The Norwegian parliament pledged the government’s public procurement policy will become deforestation-free after a committee of MPs recommended imposing regulations to ensure the state did “not contribute to deforestation of the rainforest”.

Norway funds forest conservation projects worldwide and also supports human rights programmes for forrest communities.**

The article continues at the link.

Well this is good, I guess. Helping to keeps God’s creation in order! :slight_smile:

Now if they could just do something about that whole insanely-high-cost-of-living thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Russia may do harm to the Norwegian forest if they invade Norway.

This sounds like a terrible idea if by ‘zero deforestation’ they mean they will not do selective cutting like they do in the US. It’s actually healthy for a forest to selectively cut portions of a forested area and alternate cuttings in different areas over time. It’s also healthy for wild life to do that as it provides new undergrowth for various animals in the food chain.

Maybe that isn’t an option in Norway? The article doesn’t give much detail.

So far, it sounds like a wonderful idea, though perhaps a tree for a tree (reforestation/restoration) seems like an adequate idea as well. Our forests like other natural spaces are beautiful places that deserve protection and preservation, they’re beautiful treasures that ought to be valued plus I believe you can already curb a significant amount of climate change by simply protecting forests.

My understanding of the news article is that this new policy isn’t about the trees in Norway, but is about the rain forests in other countries.

If I read the news correctly, the government of Norway will purchase its goods more selectively, choosing only suppliers who are not ecologically destructive.

And this hypothesis is based on??

Russia appears to be more industrial than Norway.

I guess Norway can do whatever it wants, but I have to wonder about the wisdom of this. Does this mean nothing can be imported from Canada or the American northwest. There are rain forests in both. Alaska, too. Or is it just timber that can’t be imported? What about paper or any of the myriad of products that are sometimes made of wood?

Or are they only talking about tropical rain forests? I remember reading a book written by some anthropologists who found that huge tracts of the Amazon rain forest had been converted to farming hundreds of years ago, and the farming lasted for centuries. The natives appear to have been wiped out by disease, and the farms turned back into jungle for lack of maintenance. Jungle land tends to be very infertile because all of the soil’s nutrients are locked up in trees. Nothing else can grow under a dense, multi-storied canopy, either, and in a rain forest the nutrients tend to be leached out by rain besides. The pre-Columbian Indians had ingenious ways, it appears, to make the soil better than it was before they cleared it. So, what do we really know about the harms of clearing tropical forests for agricultural uses?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.