Norway Catholic church fined over inflating membership for more funding

Diocese of Oslo accused of using names from phone book in push for more state aid but says it has ‘never done anything illegal’

theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/28/norway-catholic-church-fined-membership-numbers

I do not know whether this story is true or not, but IMO the Church needs to wean itself off its dependency on government funding of any kind, especially in western nations that are generally hostile to the Church’s beliefs and traditions. I realize this is easier said than done, but in the long run taking money from the state gives secular governments excuses to interfere in Church affairs. This goes for the U.S. as well.

Of course one wonders if the Church would virtually cease to exist in some nations without government aid, such as in Germany.

I completely agree. After all, what are they going to do if said government becomes truly hostile towards them and suddenly takes away the funding? Would that leave them in dire straights?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.