Norwegian flag taken down after being mistaken for Confederate flag too many times

What is red, has a white and blue cross and may make people call you a racist? A Norwegian flag… which owners of a Michigan inn decided to pull down after too many people got angry, thinking it represented the Confederacy.

The decision to remove the Norwegian flag that flew in front of The Nordic Pineapple bed and breakfast in St John’s, Michigan, was announced by owner Kjersten Offenbecker last week. The flag was a tribute to her and her husband Greg’s ancestry and flew on the front pillar of their establishment opposite the US national flag since they moved in in 2018.

“This flag is so often mistaken for the Confederate flag and people are often offended by it before they realize that they are mistaken,” she wrote on Facebook, adding that she still intends to fly it on special occasions and maybe “find a less conspicuous place” for it.

“We love being members of the St. Johns community and are heartbroken to have had to make this decision,” she said.

1 Like

It doesn’t look similar. :norway:

:woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

To the poorly educated and those looking for fights it probably looks similar enough to spark a row.

10 Likes

I spent a summer working in Michigan, and people constantly asked me what I was doing up there all the way from Mississippi. (My license plate said “Missouri”) So, no surprise with this flag business.

1 Like

So, lazy and judgmental folks today can’t just do a little research and learn the difference between a Norwegian flag and the Confederate flag?

I think they should have left the Norwegian flag up. If folks can’t or won’t learn the difference, that’s THEIR problem.

1 Like

Yup.

I was asked once when I was in Pittsburgh if people from Indiana spoke English.

1 Like

Why let a few facts stand in front of your zeal? :wink:

They’re on a roll folks and won’t stop even for a few inconvenient facts.

Perfect example of the dumbing down of America.

2 Likes

Not so, regrettably. Not if their business suffers or if they suffer harassment.

Should have just gone, ‘Huh’ and made puzzle faces. A classic example of that kind of silly was in my mid 20’s. My colleague was second generation British Indian and had flawless English. A couple of American clients from the deep South asked me did the Indian boy speak English right in front of him. I replied, ‘No we’ve just bought him over from the Raj and are training him up’. Unfortunately I was a bit too poker face and they took it seriously and asked did he speak English to which he replied, ‘No Sahib’. These two still didn’t get that we were being tongue-in-cheek even then and started telling me how they had great coloured servants when they were young and how coloured people were loyal if treated well. This was made worse by the fact the young Indian bloke’s girlfriend had come to meet him as it was nearly the end of the working day and she was Czech and she was dying trying not to laugh.

6 Likes

Was this American couple elderly?

Usually it’s the elderly who have these attitudes.

Very and this was in the mid to late 90’s. Given their age then they are likely long dead by now as they were well into their 70’s by the look of them.

1 Like

My parent were born in the mid 1920s and I hope they weren’t like that. I never saw them like that.

And, just where do so many folks get the idea they’re entitled to just go up and start harassing people? How did our culture get to this point?

2 Likes

Reckless certitude of one’s righteousness in their own eyes, combined with geographic ignorance.

5 Likes

Funny. I am from the Ozarks and I have been asked by easterners whether the Ozarks are real or whether they’re just a storybook thing like “Dogpatch”.

How many drinks does it take before you confuse the flag of Norway with that of the Confederacy? I do not know the answer, but if some one is that far gone, you better rush them to the hospital. Just look for the Danish flag.

3 Likes

Wait till you hear the stories of people from New Mexico.

It gets to be a hassle if your New Mexico driver’s license isn’t accepted as a legitimate ID because “foreign driver’s licenses don’t count”.

It’s an annoyance when trying to purchase some beer but when you’re pulled on the side of the road and the cop is getting ready to charge you with driving without a license, in spite of your up to date New Mexico driver’s license, it gets scary really quick. Don’t ask me how I know. :smirk:

This reminds me of when the guy attacked the Sikh temple in Milwaukee to get back at ‘Arab Muslim terrorists’. The problem was that Sikhs are neither Arab nor Muslim.

2 Likes

Several Sikhs have been attacked and even killed in the US because people have mistaken them for Muslims.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.