Nostalgia attack, what's your favorite pokemon?

A girl I know was playing the new pokemon game, and that got me thinking about the good old days in Jr high when I used to play pokemon. I bought red version back in 7th grade ('99) and played it heavily until well into the gold-silver generation (I had gold and my friend had silver, though I don’t recall us trading much). I had a brief stint with pokemon sapphire in high school, but got burnt out because I felt it was losing its edge.
in my day we didn’t even have local wireless trading, let alone trading over the internet like on the DS. We had to get a link cable and to all sorts of things to make sure the two gameboys were communicating. Oh the times I had battling my brother.

Now I’ve got the fever again, but i have no videogame consoles. sigh.

So I’m wondering, what’s your favorite pokemon? Which version (of all the generations) is your favorite?

Nostalgia attack

…It was super effective!

I used to own Pokemon: Blue, starting with a Squirtle

My favorite Pokemon would have to be Magneton.

As for me I’ve lost my sense of desire to play these games; I own the DS so I could play Black/White but I can probably wait until it’s down in price.

Lapras or Electrabuzz!

"Pikachu! THUNDERBOLT!!!"

As much as I feel I'm too old for it now, the Pokemon anime will always be the anime that got me into anime.

I too collected the games and have even started archiving ROMs given that the GBC and GBA are now sadly obsolete.

For my favorite Generation, it would be Generation II as far as Pokemon design is concerned. My favorite Pokemon?

Go...throws Ultra Ball... Tyranitar!!!

Tyranitar: appears and roars

Now show 'em your Hyper Beam!!!

Tyranitar: roars and fires

I agree with you on gold and silver being the best. 2 new types, the first batch of new pokemon after the original 151, day/night and date features, breeding a better daycare center, not to mention you could go back through the original 8 gyms when you finished of the elite four.

One of the reasons why I stopped playing sapphire (i was a senior in high school) was because I felt it was a step backward from gold and silver. No day/night, the new pokemon didn’t seem cool anymore, although in hindsight some of them were awesome. I had no idea whismur evolved into something so cool as loudred and exploud. The addition of abilities and natures (especially natures) felt too complicated, but now I really wish I could play it again. If only roms weren’t illegal!

How about all the glitches in red and blue? The item duplication glitch, the mew glitch, and all the fake glitches and fake hidden pokemon that floated around the jr high playground rumor mill? This was back when dial up internet was pretty much the only internet, and not everyone had it, so it was easy for stuff like this to spread. Remember the island with the truck? the pokegods? mewthree? now I’m getting too nostalgic, sigh

My favorite is Cloyster, by far. And my favorite generation is the first. I remember when I used to watch the show. I was hooked on it. But when the first season of it ended, I watched it less and less. It just didn’t seem the same when they replaced characters. I also remember watching the first movie, the one with Mewtwo and Mew.

Almost forgot to metion trading cards…I used to collect them.

I really liked Zapdos. I only played the Red, then Blue, and finally Yellow edition. Never went beyond that. I still have fond memories of my Pokemon playing days too though. Good times, those were.

Me too. I actually managed to get a Charizard once, the rarest card at the time I think. But I traded it away for I think like eleven other cards. Oh what a mistake. What I wouldn't give to go back and keep myself from making that dreadful mistake, my precious Charizard. :D

I still play pokemon. Hee. And Gen II is the beeest overall, but I've become a big fan of gen V.
Because sawsbuck is pretty neato, so is minccino.

Anywho, favorite pokemon?

This guy right here:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/Madfozzie/Gengar.jpg

Not only is he just awesome, but who wouldn't want one of these on their team?
Gengars a great sweeper. :cool:

[quote="Raskolnikov, post:8, topic:236277"]
Me too. I actually managed to get a Charizard once, the rarest card at the time I think. But I traded it away for I think like eleven other cards. Oh what a mistake. What I wouldn't give to go back and keep myself from making that dreadful mistake, my precious Charizard. :D

[/quote]

Yeah, I think Charizard was fairly rare.

I was able to get Charmander and Charmeleon(not sure if I spelled that right), but never Charizard. I remember one of my favorite cards was a Dragonite, and I wouldn't give it away for anything.

But you know what the sad thing is? I never actually learned how to play the trading card game. I just wanted the cards just to have them. I guess it was the thrill of "catching 'em all":D

Now, those cards are just collecting dust.

Pikachu!!!

And now if I may recite a classic line; “Team Rocket’s blasting of agaaaaain!”

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:4, topic:236277"]
"Pikachu! THUNDERBOLT!!!"

As much as I feel I'm too old for it now, the Pokemon anime will always be the anime that got me into anime.

[/quote]

Dude, you're never too old for Pokemon

Remember the Poke Rap? I remember my brother actually memorized it once

[quote="Gift_from_God, post:11, topic:236277"]
And now if I may recite a classic line; "Team Rocket's blasting of agaaaaain!"

[/quote]

On the other hand, that is one thing I don't miss. If I have to hear their stupid motto again, I might just shoot myself.

Ironically, the only time I tolerate it is when it's being sung ala Double Trouble.

I certainly would like to send those guys flying. :cool:

do you mean he did the whole 150? or just one of the episodes? You know how they just would do part of it each time?

I actually never new much about the more nuanced aspects of the games. Strategy, how stats factored in etc. I suppose just going through the game itself doesn’t require you know all about same type attack bonus, effort values etc. Since the gym leaders all use one or two types, all you have to do is get a comperably leveled up pokemon of a type strong against theirs and you’re good. I suppose those things only come into play in 2 player battles, which are probably really easy now with wifi and all. That’s the beauty of it, I guess, little kids can get into it, but bigger kids (or adults :)) can enjoy the more subtle strategies. I have a lot of fun reading about the mathematical formula for catching a pokemon.

I also collected the cards, and actually battled with them. They were banned in our school.

I think everyone gets into the TCG the same way: they have a friend with an extensive collection who gives you some extra cards they have of some really common pokemon (my friend gave me a starmi and a ratatta) and the addiction begins. My dad bought me a bunch of Japanese cards when he would go overseas for business. I got a bunch of generation II pokemon WAY before they got to the US. My favorite was soodowoodo, even though I didn’t know his english name at the time.

[quote="Gift_from_God, post:12, topic:236277"]
Dude, you're never too old for Pokemon

Remember the Poke Rap? I remember my brother actually memorized it once

[/quote]

Pshaw. Try Pokemon ieru kana? :D

BTW, Mewtwo FTW. ;)

I just remembered, has anyone ever actually caught 'em all? I did (i filled the pokedex, didn’t actually have one of everything in my PC). I worked my bum off to get all of them, especially tauros. I remember almost crying (remember I was in jr high) because that sucker was so rare and when it did show up, it would always run away. So after all that blood, sweat, and tears, I was absolutely sure I’d get a mew. Think about it. It’s the only pokemon not available through normal means. You can’t catch it in any version, and there’s no way to trade for it. Disappointed doesn’t even come close to describing what I felt when that weird 4th wall director guy just gave me a diploma! Talk about the letdown of the century! all that work for nothing!

Ah Pokemon. Those were simpler days back then.

Favourite Pokemon? I never really had one, unless Pikachu in Super Smash Bros. counts (Apple, it’s 2011, and you’re telling me that Pikachu doesn’t show up in you’re spelling dictionary?).

I still play Pokemon to relax. :o

In the earlier games Ninetails and Articuno were my faves and were always on my team.

In the newest game I think Deerling and Cinccino are a couple of cuties.

Someday I want to obtain a shiny Ponyta/Rapidash (shiny Ninetails is no slouch either). I love the blue flames.

I’m thinking that catching 'em all is getting more and more difficult, considering that there are now like, 649 species of Pokémon. Who knows if they’d add up more? :shrug:

Sandshrew! I loved that little bugger. My brothers were into pokemon cards back in the day, but I thought it was too boyish, so I just made them give me their "cute" ones to tape on my wall. I was more interested in tamagotchi pets. I still have some!

Good times.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.