Nostra Aetate

Can anyone help explain the context of the Nostra Aetate and the authority it holds?

It’s a wonderful document. What is the greater context with catholic thought though?
I would think Catholics would say “Islam, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism are beautiful paths to God with many holy followers BUT…” the Nostra Aetate seems leave off the but. Doesn’t this get address in John Paul’s faith and reason? What’s the current position?

I had an evangelical theology professor who said Christians can gain gems of insights from other faiths BUT Christians have to foremost be followers and ambassadors of Christ first. Personally I don’t agee that, but I’m not an evangelical. What is the catholic but?

Thanks! -Fred

vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html

I think it would be, "…but the Catholic faith has the fullest and surest means of salvation since it is based on the Pascal Mystery of the Son of God.

Thanks! Yes, that sounds right. I’m pretty sure John Paul II said that or something very simmilar. I’m really surprised the Nostra Aetate stops where it does but perhaps that is because the context was within Jewish-Catholic reconciliation. It was certainly received that way according to Wikipedia, having its anniversary celebrated at the holocaust museum.

Yet another reason why I love Catholicism. Protestantism not so much yet again.

-Fred

There was a lot of healing needed to be done.

This is a controversial topic because Nostra Aetate is a controversial document. I can only provide my personal opinion. Always read Vatican II in light of previous Church teachings. That’s the only way to interpret the documents. I’d recommend you start with Mortalium Animos. It is my sincere belief that the Church will one day issue a syllabus of errors on Vatican II to help us interpret the documents in continuity with Tradition.

Holy Mother Church will indeed :highprayer:

But for the record there aren’t many paths to salvation, there is one and it is the Catholic Church outside of which there is no salvation. People who are not visibly members of the church and are saved are not saved by their erroneous confessions but because they, although visibly aren’t catholic, are united to the church in a way known to God alone (Catholics).

But for the record there aren’t many paths to salvation, there is one and it is the Catholic Church outside of which there is no salvation. People who are not visibly members of the church and are saved are not saved by their erroneous confessions but because they, although visibly aren’t catholic, are united to the church in a way known to God alone (Catholics).

Nicely put. Outside the Church there is no salvation. This irrevocable doctrine of the Faith is sadly neglected these days.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.