Not Able To Kneel

Maybe this has been addressed before and I missed it, if so, please accept my apologies.

I am in my mid 60s and regularly attend Mass. During the past several weeks, I am finding it exceedingly hard to kneel at the appropriate times during Mass, even during the Consecration. …due to physical concerns. I feel so out of place when everyone else is kneeling.

Is it wrong to sit during all the parts of the Mass where you should be kneeling, although I stand during the Gospel and Last Gospel.

Thank you.

No, it is fine to sit if for reasons of physical infirmity. Try to scoot forward though, so the person behind you doesn’t have his face in the back of your head.

And – up to you, of course – Lent might be a good time to kneel despite the physical pain as a mortification of the body.

For reasons of health, you don’t have to kneel. If your worried about reverence during the mass you could close your eyes and bow your head in prayer (what I do when I can’t kneel) What you feel in your heart is more important to the Lord than how you look. hope this helps. :wink:

The official rubric says you are to stand if you can’t kneel, but I have never seen anyone do this. People just scoot forward on the pew and bow over as much as possible-- then it looks like everyone is kneeling.

Do not kneel as a mortification unless you get it checked out by a doctor and he oks it. I have a problem with my knee which is exacerbated by the pressure the kneeler puts on my knee, so I have to be careful. Sometimes I can sit in a pewless seat :slight_smile: so I can kneel on the floor, that works well.

Here is from GIRM 43, all I found on this issue. Someone tell me if there’s something else.

In the dioceses of the United States of America, they should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by reasons of health, lack of space, the large number of people present, or some other good reason. Those who do not kneel ought to make a profound bow when the priest genuflects after the consecration.

While I don’t see it here (but if someone knows where it is, please post it), common sense tells us that:

[LIST=1]
*]It says, if you can’t kneel…[don’t kneel]. That probably means stay in the same position as you were already in. (standing)
*]In order to make a profound bow, you’re probably standing
*]but…
*]If everyone else is kneeling, and you can’t for medical reasons (or whatever) you should probably sit, unless you’re in the back row or choir loft or something similar.
[/LIST]

My interpretation of the document is:
If everyone can’t not to kneel, then they should stand, and should make a profound bow when the celebrant genuflects after the consecration.

If a few can’t kneel, they should sit, or stand out of the way. Bow if you can.

no it is not fine to kneel if it is causing damage
like others of our age who face the same problem it is also wise to find out if there is some medical action that should be taken if it is a new problem.
yes it is find to sit or stand if you cannot kneel, or sit if you cannot stand
the half kneel with the rear on the seat is more uncomfortable and more unsightly than the other alternatives

I knew I would get good advice by asking my question here. I thank everyone who took the time to answer my question. I appreciate it very much.

God Bless you all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.