Not accepting "The Call"

For years I felt I had a specific calling. I don’t want to be too specific, but my calling, though I felt it physically and spiritually, I didn’t think it was realistic. I didn’t think it would ever happen. I first got the call at age 5. Then, at 16, I finally did something about it. I didn’t expect anything would happen, but I got an immediate response. However, I was scared. I had so many doubts, and I let my fears get the best of me. So, I walked away. Now, 10 years later, I realize more and more what I have done or did. There is no way I can take that back or get a do-over, not with that specific calling.

Since I did not answer or follow through with God’s call to me, will He give me a new one? What are your thoughts?

Look again at that old call. Could there be something similar that you could do? Of course, that calling may not have been for you. For years I’ve wanted to be a nun, but my age is against me there. So, I’m praying and waiting on God for what to do next. I’m trying to look into going back to school. The jobe that I will hopefully get after that, might not pay real great, but I should be in a position to help others. I may not get there. But I can only try. It is up to God to bring the results.

so you are 26 ? cant be that impossible to go back to a religious calling if that is the inuendo, less you are married and or have a child, in which case i would be willing to venture a humble guess that indeed God would call someone else in another direction, God does not ever stop calling us, you may be called to be more involved in your parish, or to do a certain ministry in volunteer work, there is a lot of work to be done still !

Don’t have regret though, for making a human mistake , plenty of saints were not religious priests,nuns,or deacons and even those men an women made mistakes along the way.

Your first call is always to holiness. This call will never be rescinded. How to live that depends on your current state in life.

It might no longer be possible to enter consecrated life, for example, but there is a possibility of other ways if you just ask God to guide you. You might find a spiritual director to help you find the right way to live out your call today.

I read that you say that your age is against you to be a nun, but take heart I am in the same position and there is a great traditional Order out there that take early, late and very late vocations pending on circumstances, do DONT give up.

Have a look at there Web site.

There name is All Saints Sisters of the Poor. In Baltimore , Maryland.
e-mail info@allsaintssisters.org

You can google them for there Web Site, drop them a Note. God Bless. Sandra .

you would not be still confused if you were involved and engaged in some of the ministry opportunities that are out there… it would be an easy transation–

or if you have been called to go to some catholic ministry college–for education-- then do it or something-- god can only bless your somethings— he can’t bless your do nothings-

get involved – and expect God will meet you-- if you expect a “prophetic word” of encourgement – this was it!!

Thank you.

Ave Maria!

“And we know that to them that love God, all things work together unto good, to such as, according to his purpose, are called to be saints.” -Romans 8:28

I think if you were indeed called to the religious life, it would have given you the most fulfillment, the greatest peace, joy, and abounding love. However, our omnipotent, all-loving God and Merciful Mother can still make all things work for good and make you a saint by giving you a new vocation with still great peace, joy, and abounding love.

There is also the option of joining a third order (e.g. Franciscan Third Order of the Immaculate) in which you can make vows, wear a habit, be buried in the habit, and join in the spiritual benefits of a religious community. Many, many saints were third order members, including kings and queens!

And don’t forget the option of religious life after your children are grown up. We have two blood-sisters who joined our community, and later their mother, then their father!

Keep praying and don’t worry. Keep frequenting the Sacraments, and consecrate yourself to Our Lady. She is very merciful, very loving, and can turn your vocation into a beautiful bouquet for Her Son, beyond anything you could ever imagine. Promise!

Pray, hope, and don’t worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.” -St. Pio

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Friar John Paul

Thank you very much for all of your responses. Although, my call was not religious. We are all given a call to a specific purpose in life, and mine was not toward living a religious life, but had a specific purpose none the less. In fact, at 5 years old, I knew that what I was being drawn to was not of my doing. I knew it was not something I had chosen on my own, but was placed before me. I had made a promise to God that I would do what I was being called to do, even though, in truth, I didn’t know that it would really happen. But like I said, when I was 16, I, for the first time, did something about it. In fact, during the process, I thought, “Why am I even doing this? I’m expecting a specific result and it will never happen!” It just seemed so far-fetched. Even when I discussed this with my priest years later his initial response was, “Is that true?” lol I almost didn’t go through with it, but there was this small voice in my head telling me, “Just do it, go a head, just do it.” So, I did. I didn’t know why, I just did. And boy, was that easy. I got immediate results. From most people, I heard that it was work, that it was so hard to get what I got, but for me, it happened just like that. But at the time, my head was spinning, and I was scared. I had so many doubts. I didn’t know what I could truly offer. I let my fears get the best of me. Now, I regret that, and there are so many instances when I am reading or studying the bible or hear a homily or whatever where I am reaffirmed that I had walked away from what I had been called to do.

You haven’t specified what the “call” was, so this makes it a bit hard for us to give you any concrete advice, assuming it was a bona fide “call” in the first place.

Usually however, if God gives a “call”, He also provides an opening at the same time. If you don’t take the call at that time, that opening also closes up. Which means you then have to wait a long time for the next one.

I don’t want to be negative, but I rememer a story my old pastor told me about some bloke he knew who had a terrific singing voice. But he had this false sense of modesty about using his voice for the Lord. By the time he got around to doing it, years later, he’d lost his singing voice. It was gone.

You’re still young, and obviously you want to serve the Lord, so He’ll probably make an opening somewhere in some way, but you may find the “call” is not the same as you first had. That particular opportunity is probably gone.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.