Not accepting the validity of the Novus Ordo Mass

I know someone who doesn’t believe the Novus Ordo Mass is a valid Mass if it’s not said in Latin, thanks to the old “for many” vs. “for all” argument. Just for the record, he goes to an indult Tridentine Mass; he’s not a member of the SSPX or anything like that. I have various arguments for why “for all” doesn’t invalidate the Mass, so that’s not my question here. My question is, what kind of sin is it, objectively speaking, to deny the Novus Ordo’s validity if said in a certain language? In other words, is it venial or mortal, and why? Also, would the sin be considered heresy or another type of sin? Thanks in advance.

[quote=DavidJoseph]I know someone who doesn’t believe the Novus Ordo Mass is a valid Mass if it’s not said in Latin, thanks to the old “for many” vs. “for all” argument. Just for the record, he goes to an indult Tridentine Mass; he’s not a member of the SSPX or anything like that. I have various arguments for why “for all” doesn’t invalidate the Mass, so that’s not my question here. My question is, what kind of sin is it, objectively speaking, to deny the Novus Ordo’s validity if said in a certain language? In other words, is it venial or mortal, and why? Also, would the sin be considered heresy or another type of sin? Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

It would be the sin of denying the Authority of the Catholic Church granted to it by Christ.

If you think about it, when people say that the Novus Ordo Mass is not valid, does that not imply that almost all Catholics (including the Popes) are guilty of idolatory i.e. if the Mass is not valid then the bread & wine do not become the Body & Blood and so we are worshiping as God what remains bread = idolatory. So they are basically implying that the entire Church, except them, has fallen into mortal sin.

[quote=Ter]If you think about it, when people say that the Novus Ordo Mass is not valid, does that not imply that almost all Catholics (including the Popes) are guilty of idolatory i.e. if the Mass is not valid then the bread & wine do not become the Body & Blood and so we are worshiping as God what remains bread = idolatory. So they are basically implying that the entire Church, except them, has fallen into mortal sin.
[/quote]

An excellent observation, I concur.

And if the Popes and Cardinals with them have promulgated an invalid liturgy. Then according to the SSPX and other like mind Traditionalists, who do they expect will abrogate the Novus Ordo and return the whole of the Church to the Missal of Trent?

36 years with the Novus Ordo Missae and still no talk from Rome of throwing it out. Seems Christ’s Magisterium doesn’t act in very timely a manner in such serious matters as invalid liturgies.:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.