Not Attending Church on Sunday A Mortal Sin?

Hi, Why does the Catholic Church teach that, not attending church on Sunday is a mortal sin? The commandment only says to keep it holy. It doesn’t say where to do it? If Someone stays home on Sunday, says their prayrs, plays gospel music all day and or reads the Bible, how is that not keeping the day holy? Thanks for your help.

I think the third commandment means hearing mass on Sundays.
You can read particularly in the Catechism, for explanation on the third commandment.

I can’t understand why anyone would want to miss Mass on Sunday – it’s very important to me because at Mass I can receivethe Eucharist which is the Body and Blood of Jesus-- it’s the only thing that keeps me going!!!

It is a mortal sin because Jesus is there in Fully Body blood soul and divinity. It is essentially refusing him for other things. It the equal to saying Jesus I don’t love you. Playing Gospel music and reading the Bible are nothing compared to having Jesus literally with in you. The Mass is the shadow of heaven In a way. Missing the mass is like saying I don’t want to be with God regardless of your intentions

TI hate to be nitt picky, but when we throw around claims about what sins are mortal or venial without clarification we misrepresent Church teachings, and but an undue burden on people.

The Church DOES NOT teach that missing Mass on Sunday is a moral sin!

Any sin, to be considered mortal, has to not only be a grave matter, but be committed with full knowledge, and then willfully. So, if Sunday Mass is missed, and you know that the it is a precept of the Church, and you do not have a legitimate excuse (there are many), and you don’t care about the precept…only then might it be a mortal sin.

Holy: dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred.

Praying, listening to uplifting music, and reading the Bible are all good things, and good ways to pray. Still, is it better than the form of worship that Jesus instituted?

The highest form of worship is through participation in the Eucharist (aka Mass). The Eucharist is the “source and summit” of our Catholic faith. Whom do we worship, after all? And where is He most fully Present? In the Eucharist, of course!

Now, it should be mentioned that it’s another thing entirely if we are unable to go to Mass. The Church sees and understands this, as well. We can only give what we are capable of giving–so if we’re ill, homebound, taking care of a sick child, stranded on a deserted island, etc., we’re not obligated to attend Mass (and therefore, it’s not a mortal sin to miss Mass for serious reasons).

But we should still keep the Lord’s Day holy as best we can in our present circumstances. :thumbsup:

You are right. There are many reasons why someone can not be in Mass. Illness being an important one. Care givers often have to miss Mass. The sin is being called to God’s supper and finding excuses for not coming. Deliberately missing Mass is simply thumbing your nose at God’s gift of himself.

Amen!

In John 6 our Lord Jesus Christ explained a lot about Himself being the Bread of Heaven.

At the Last Supper Jesus ordained the first priests when he said “Do this in memory of Me.”

What an awesome gift…the gift of Himself under the appearance of bread and wine!

Thanks for your replies everyone! This was very helpful.

=RobinLaf;12454465]Hi, Why does the Catholic Church teach that, not attending church on Sunday is a mortal sin? The commandment only says to keep it holy. It doesn’t say where to do it? If Someone stays home on Sunday, says their prayrs, plays gospel music all day and or reads the Bible, how is that not keeping the day holy? Thanks for your help.

Here’s WHY:)

1. Sunday {the day Christ Rose from the dead} takes up where the Jewish Sabbath left off.
    So its not a New teaching. Only a Perfected One

2. Christ clearly gives ALL of the Key’s to heavens access to Peter and through him; today’s Catholic Church. READ Mt. 10:1-8; Mt. 16:15-19 & Mt. 28:16-20

3. When Christ gave the Key;s He ALSO by absolute necessity had to; and did give Peter {and through Him the Church the necessary Powers and Authority to exercise them in God’s Name and with God’s Authority: READ Jn…17:18 and 20:21

Cf, “AS THE FATHER SENT ME SO TOO I GOD SEND YOU.”

1. Mt. 16:19 The powers to “bind and to loose” ARE to be understood as the unlimited Powers and Authority independent; God guided Governance, such as Randy Carlson articulates as the Lords "chief Stewart or VISAR. Both common at the time and place this mandate is enacted.

So the Church has not only the power and authority literally “equal to God’s” to teach and bind; but ALSO the Grave obligation to do so:thumbsup:

God Bless you,

Patrick

It is grave matter to miss Mass on Sunday without a good reason, if the person does this with full consent of the will and has knowledge of the grave nature of the sin, that would constitute a Mortal sin.

The specific requirement to attend Mass on Sundays (and Holy Days of Obligation) is mandated by the pastoral authorities of the Church and is designed to insure the faithful maintain a minimum level of religious practice. Although related to the Third (Keep holy the Sabbath day) Commandment, not attending Mass without a serious reason is more a violation of the Fourth (Honor your father…) Commandment, as the pastoral authorities of the Church are our fathers in Christ and not obeying such “leaders … would be harmful to you.” (Hebrews 13:17)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.