not believing in the real presence Eucharist is a rejection of God

Some catholics seen to believe that Not believing in the real presence in the catholic communion Eucharist

Is a rejection of god himself and a lack of spiritual decernment

What do you think ?

If you are trained to believe in this form of spiritual decernment ?

Is this a rejection of god?

It certainly depends on what knowledge and grace one has. It would be different for everybody.

I know a couple of Catholics who don’t believe in the real presence and they receive communion. A catholic friend of mine once told me that she doesn’t believe in the real presence and that it is just symbolic, pretty much what protestants believe. So, I am curious to see what others have to say. Should someone who does not believe in the real presence receive communion? Are they receiving unworthily?

I my opinion, not believing what God say’s, is not believing that God is all power full, and that there is some things He can not do. God created the entire universe with His Word. When He speaks things happen.

With that being said, what did the Apostles eat at the Last Supper? When I receive communion in the Catholic Church I get the same food that the Apostles ate,. What Christ fed them.

Who’s this “god” that you spesk of in this post? I worship “God”! I don’t care so much about grammar but I do care about proper nouns and in English we use God as a proper noun :smiley: I think there is some truth to that but that being said I don’t think it’s malicious. I mean If you are ignorant of that very teaching, that’s not necessarily your fault.

Your point speaks more to an individuals religios education that to their belief in God. If they are taught the true presence doctrine and still believe otherwise, then that is a rejection of catholicism, they may still have a belief in God…

John 6.

It’s a very serious sin to knowingly reject defined, infallible teachings of the Church.
The doctrine on the Eucharist is central to the Catholic Faith.
Keeping in mind many factors, just objectively speaking, a person who rejects the Catholic teaching on the real presence has lapsed in Faith and should not receive.
Our beliefs have consequences. We can’t make up our own doctrines and expect God to go along with us.
An honest person, rejecting the Eucharist - would not receive. The person does not need to leave the Faith or stop going to Mass. Faith in the Real Presence can be restored. But until then, there is a problem.
Faith in the Eucharist does not have to be a feeling of some kind. It is enough to mentally say “Even though I don’t understand and it feels uncomfortable, I believe”.

The Act of Faith is something all Catholics must be able to say with sincerity and conviction:

O my God, I firmly believe that you are one God in three divine persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I believe that your divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the holy catholic Church teaches, because in revealing them you can neither deceive nor be deceived.

Exactly! Because Jesus said so.;):pray:

It’s a rejection of something God has revealed.

I wonder if someone said to you, “I’m a Christian but I don’t believe in the Bible”, what would be your response to this person?

Someone who does not believe in the real presence should not be receiving communion.

Luke 12:47-48

Depends on your knowledge of the truth.

I think many Catholics have been so poorly catechized they probably don’t realize that the Eucharist is central to the Catholic faith…just like many have probably never read the Bible…especially John 6…so is ignorance an excuse for what is a grievous sin…for those who fully understand yet reject the real presence but still partake…or those who fully understand and reject and refuse to partake…the former would seem to be the more serious sin.

I don’t see why it would be considered a rejection of god.
A person can believe in god and still not think he turns into a communion wafer.
It would be a rejection of transubstantiation.
One may be trained to believe in it, but…still, it may not make sense or appear logical to to a person.
And you can’t force yourself to believe in something. If you don’t believe it, you don’t.
I mean, you can pretend to or fake it, but…what good is that? It’s being dishonest.

This limns exactly why so many people are atheists.

They reject something based on a rather impoverished understanding. Rather than rejecting what is actually being professed.

Kind of like an anti-vaxxer saying, “I won’t vaccinate my kids because even the medical community teaches that the MMR causes autism.”

Ummmm… no, it doesn’t.

And…ummm…no, we don’t teach that God “turns into a communion wafer”.

Your tone in this statement is condescending which The Divine Liturgy is not. Yes, that is a bad pun and conundrum.

ReggieM did an excellent response to this belief in Jesus holding true to being with us until the end of time in physicality and within His body the church. This is the meaning of the “Holy Wafer” to what you appear to connote.

I would hope the OP, (evangelical chr -istian), would try to discourse with these catholics in order to do just what the handle says, evangelize. Life in the faith without a full understanding of The Eucharist would be unsatisfying. The Host and Cup come to a full understanding by filling us and fulfilling our Baptism and Confirmation. We will hopefully see The Lamb in Heaven when we will still be in awe at the mystery of Him.

Also, a perfect metaphor for atheists trying to explain Christianity:

“I spent my whole life trying to put a battery in backwards before I finally realized that batteries don’t work.”

Try putting the battery in correctly, and then decide if it works for you, eh?

^^^^ this is the answer.

We don’t know what kind of graces another has, so I wouldn’t be quick to judge.
There was a time when I didn’t believe in the RP, but I most certainly did not reject God.

That is black and white thinking.

I really don’t want to post St Paul’s teaching in 1 Corinthians 11 since it is very harsh for anyone struggling with this belief. But those who wish can look it up for themselves. Suffice to say, if you receive Communion this is the one thing you really need to believe.

I saw a survey from 2008 by the Center for Applied Research on the Apostolate (CARA) that said 43% of Catholics do not believe in transubstantiation.
It would be quite a jarring site if parishes enforced what you say above, and just under half did not go up for communion.

ncregister.com/daily-news/us-bishops-encourage-greater-devotion-to-christ-in-the-eucharist

A 2011 survey had other interesting, mixed results.
ncronline.org/news/catholics-america/knowledge-and-belief-about-real-presence

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.