Not enough non catholic here

Is it just my imagination that there are very few non Catholics on this forum? I would have thought that this place would be full of non catholic Christians telling us where we have gone wrong. But no, there are very few.

My supposition is that Protestants (with a few exceptions) don’t hang around here because they cannot debate knowledgeable Catholics.

=FrederickOz;9945319]Is it just my imagination that there are very few non Catholics on this forum? I would have thought that this place would be full of non catholic Christians telling us where we have gone wrong. But no, there are very few.

I would suspect it is a “birds of a feather” thing. This is a Catholic forum, so it stands to reason it would be majority Catholic. Plus, I think there’s quite a few non-C’s here.

My supposition is that Protestants (with a few exceptions) don’t hang around here because they cannot debate knowledgeable Catholics.

Oh, I wouldn’t say that. :smiley:

Jon

[quote="JonNC, post:2, topic:303329"]
I would suspect it is a "birds of a feather" thing. This is a Catholic forum, so it stands to reason it would be majority Catholic. Plus, I think there's quite a few non-C's here.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. :D

Jon

[/quote]

I'm a little dubious on the point, too.

GKC

Well personally, as a Catholic, and not having excessive amounts of time to spend online, I don’t spend time on non-Catholic website debating the faith. So why would you expect tons of non-Catholics to spend their time here?

Yes, I know there are those who spend hours and hours of their free time searching the web for opposing points of view so they can engage in a lengthy argument with a total stranger. More power to them. Perhaps if you’re looking for an argument, you could go to a non-Catholic website and jump in :slight_smile:

Just my two cents’…

Gertie

There are wonderful non-Catholics, like Jon, who post on this board. There are even a few atheists who post here that know more about Catholic teachings than most Catholics. In just about every thread I open there are non-Catholics posting. To be honest there are times when there responses have been more charitable and helpful than the Catholic responses. Not all threads here are going to be a theological debate.

Actually I would disagree, protestants are taught to avoid Catholics as much as they can, because “Catholics are evil”. The only time protestants really argue, is when you meet them up in the street, or attack their systems first. They do not really care much about about knowing Catholics or their culture, and will often refuse to join anything that is Catholic, even this forum.

Don’t cut my head off for this post, I’m speaking here based on my own experiences, and the ones of people I know. Of course, not all protestants are like that.

Did you ever think that the reason there are few non-Catholics here is because this is a website called “Catholic Answers.” I would imagine that a website called “Protestant Answers” would be populated mainly by, you guessed it, Protestants!

Oh yes and don’t forget to tell everyone about how we breathe fire and eat Catholic children for breakfastl. Catholics need to know these things :rolleyes:

OK. Whatever. :rolleyes:

What surprises me is the number of Catholics who appear on a forum for non-Catholic religions whose only aim seems to be in ridiculing other faiths. It can make this forum difficult to take in anything other than small doses.

And that’s the problem–everything seems to turn into debate. From the sticky thread “Important Forum Information,” I had thought the goal was to “explore the history and beliefs of non-Catholic and non-Christian faiths, dialogue with their adherents.” Instead of dialogue and the sharing of information on history and beliefs, non-Catholics and their doctrinal positions are often attacked simply for not being Catholic.

Then you really shouldn’t say "protestants are taught . . ." I would say it’s a definite minority, far too much a minority to paint with such a broad brush.

Many Catholics don’t hang around Protestant sites because they cannot debate knowledgeable Protestants too… You can kind of expect the good theologians to be at their own affiliated sites, because most of the good ones realize it is near futile to go onto someone elses’ turf to evangelize - at least aggressively.

The fascination by Catholics of Protestants is an old as 100 AD.

Not sure how it can be productive to look at Catholicism threw the rear view mirror.

Enjoy religion and less bravado

[quote="ltwin, post:7, topic:303329"]

and eat Catholic children for breakfast

[/quote]

rotfl

I’d say your thoughts, imagination, and suppositions are incorrect.
As a non-Catholic, I’ll tell you that it is difficult to debate on this site…but not because I or other non-Catholics cannot debate well…rather, because we come across many (not all) who are closed in their thinking and don’t open the door even an inch to allow for discussion. So often it feels futile, unfortunately. I would love to discuss more ideas here if were possible and do appreciate it when some are open to it. I have observed some very smart people of all religions and non-religion here.

:popcorn:

The bolded is an area that can be troublesome. The forum rules about respect and proselytizing ween out those who are sometimes too direct and unwilling to engage in charitable debate. If such people are not banned outright for violation of forum rules, they are generally so overwhelmed by the Catholic response that they simply stop posting.
Those who come here to share, discuss and learn, hang around longer…Some become well respected members of long standing while others get their questions answered and move on…but are always welcome to come back…

In certain cases this is very true. As mentioned above, these are usually weeded out simply by the volume of knowledgeable responses they get. I suspect that some of these are people use to “street evangelization” techniques…talking with Catholics who are not well versed in their faith and being able to dazzle them with quotes from the Bible. They come here and - well frankly - they get thoroughly trounced by people who Do know their faith and the Bible.
A few of these learn from the experience and rethink some of their views. Others simply stop posting…

I sometimes think that the moderators are a bit too quick in banning certain posters, but I make no complaint because this is such a good board and because I figure I don’t know all the facts about what might have gotten a given person banned…

Just some thoughts…

Peace
James

It seems to me that there ARE alot of non-Catholics on this site. I see respectful non-Catholics posting all the time. I suspect that the ones who would come on this site to tell us that we are evil are not allowed to stay on the site very long because they inevitably break the forum rules with their tactics. Protestants who are genuinely interested in learning about Catholicism or explaining their beliefs to Catholics are likely to be respectful and follow the rules, so they tend to stay on until they get their fill and then they disappear. Once they have found out what they wanted to know, or said their piece on a subject, there really isn’t any other interest on a Catholic forum that I can think of.

You are very kind. Thank you.

Jon

I've seen more non-Catholics here on this Catholic forum than I've seen Catholics on non-Catholic forums. (I'll admit to having limited experience though.) I think it has a lot to do with interest and a desire to share/compare Faiths. Non-Catholics who are not here probably 1) don't know about it or 2) are not interested in Catholicism, or 3) maybe have come here to debate a bit and found it difficult to debate a topic against several people at once...(or other varying reasons).

I occasionally visit a protestant website, to share/compare. And I can share form experience that it is difficult to debate a Faith position on a forum where the majority disagrees with the Catholic perspective. It's hard to keep up with multiple responses and can get frustrating with different tangents going off in different directions etc... I suspect that many a Protestant has come here and experienced something similar.

We have plenty of Protestants here. Just do a member search. The people that have problems are the fundamentalist types.

I don’t know about Fundamentalists in particular, but broadly it seems the ones who have trouble are the ones who do not want to follow the rules. That applies to Catholics, too.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.