Not even a Pope can change Church teaching on marriage: Cardinal Sarah

Cardinal Robert Sarah, the prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship, strongly reaffirms that Church’s teaching that divorced and remarried Catholics cannot receive Communion, in a powerful piece to be published by the French magazine L’Homme Nouveau.

“The entire Church has always firmly held that one may not receive communion with the knowledge of being in a state of mortal sin, a principle recalled as definitive by John Paul II in his 2003 encyclical Ecclesia de Eucharistia,” says Cardinal Sarah. He says that not even a Roman Pontiff can change the perennial teaching of the Church.

catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=26757

God Bless Cardinal Sarah.

Thank God for card Sarah.

X3 :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: So glad we have prelates who can speak the truth clearly. ahem ahem

I suspect that the Cardinal is part of a number of high ranking prelates who are letting the Pope know, in no uncertain terms, that any attempt to modify Church discipline on this subject will not fly, and they are letting him know because they realise he is listening to them. Note this part of his response to the Lutheran woman on the subject of her receiving Communion:

“I wouldn’t ever dare to allow this, because it’s not my competence. One baptism, one Lord, one faith. Talk to the Lord and then go forward. ***I don’t dare to say anything more.***”

Even less would he allow Communion for remarried divorcees. He may have given a Lutheran woman a wink to do as she saw fit, but would he do that in a papal document to Catholics in general?

Someone might want to FAX that to the American mainstream media. Maybe then they’ll stop wringing their hands, crossing their fingers and lobbying Pope Francis by twisting his words hoping to tie in what they think is a “liberal” Pope to promote an agenda.

That would mean the Pope  is cheating and C Sarah is threatening him.

Is that what you mean ?

I pray that Cardinal Sarah one day will be our Holy Father.
What a fantastic man, Catholic and clergy!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.