Not even sure what vocations exist

I've never really thought about my vocation in a huge amount of detail. I started thinking about it recently after something my mother said.

I've always been told I'm like an encyclopaedia - I tend to know a fair amount about things other people aren't generally aware of, I read a lot. Since I was confirmed about three years ago I've looked more and more into Christian history and Catholic teachings.

The other week I was at home and I can't remember what the conversation was about but it ended up with me explaining something, I believe it was to do with Issac/Ishmael and my mother said to me "it's a pity you can't be a priest (being female) since you know so much about these things".

It just got me thinking about what I could do with it - I'm still learning so much, there's so much to know, but I'm just feeling like maybe I'm like an encyclopaedia for a reason and there must be something I can do for the Lord and His Church. I just don't know what it is and I know so little about vocations and what kinds of things a layperson can do. Can anyone offer any help/advice?

Hi,

Theres quite a bit a layperson can do. They can be lectors - those who proclaim the Word at Mass, Eucharistic Ministers, Youth Ministry, Music Ministry. If you got any talents or interests see if you can implement them into Church. I am a pianist and play Masses and enjoy it immensely. It is a wonderful thing to get involved.

I would suggest getting your church bullinten and looking at all the ministries and things that they do. Contact them if you are interested. I will be praying for you. Let us know how things are going.

One can pray for others and the Church at all times. The Church needs many people to pray.

Pray that the Lord will show you what he wishes you to do. Rest in His Love and continue to ask for His grace to do so, and all will follow.

Continue to learn about you faith.

Several come to mind: Teacher, College Professor, Youth Minister, Theologian, Director of Religious Education. Are you starting to see a trend here?:)

Are you married? If you are not you may want to consider the Dominicans. It is such a beautiful order and a lot of the sisters teach. Being able to recall like you can is a wonderful gift and if you have the teaching personality it may be that God is calling you to teach the faithful. God bless!

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:1, topic:240233"]
I've never really thought about my vocation in a huge amount of detail. I started thinking about it recently after something my mother said.

I've always been told I'm like an encyclopaedia - I tend to know a fair amount about things other people aren't generally aware of, I read a lot. Since I was confirmed about three years ago I've looked more and more into Christian history and Catholic teachings.

The other week I was at home and I can't remember what the conversation was about but it ended up with me explaining something, I believe it was to do with Issac/Ishmael and my mother said to me "it's a pity you can't be a priest (being female) since you know so much about these things".

It just got me thinking about what I could do with it - I'm still learning so much, there's so much to know, but I'm just feeling like maybe I'm like an encyclopaedia for a reason and there must be something I can do for the Lord and His Church. I just don't know what it is and I know so little about vocations and what kinds of things a layperson can do. Can anyone offer any help/advice?

[/quote]

A place to begin might be your diocesan offices and the office of Vocations. There are sort of sub headings under what is known as the "state in life".

The states in life are religious life (nun or sister), married life, or remain as a single celibate person in the laity dedicated to some aspect or call of the Gospel. Under those three are more sub headings to complicate matters I guess including the various families of religious life of nuns and sisters. Under married life can come third orders and other spiritual families for the laity . As a single celibate person in the laity one can also belong to these third orders and other spiritual families for the laity.

Where vocation is concerned, the journey just might start out as discerning which state in life to which you are called. Your diocesan Vocations Office might be able to help you somewhat here, it all depends on what your particular diocesan Vocations Office deals with and what it does not. The best way to begin the vocation discernment journey is to seek spritual direction and you could begin the search for a spritual director by speaking with your parish priest.

Hope that might help somewhat and not complicate and I think I have the bases covered - unsure. I am sure other members in this can help where I may have been remiss.

TS

Thank you all for your help.

[quote="JeffersonD, post:4, topic:240233"]
Are you married? If you are not you may want to consider the Dominicans. It is such a beautiful order and a lot of the sisters teach. Being able to recall like you can is a wonderful gift and if you have the teaching personality it may be that God is calling you to teach the faithful. God bless!

[/quote]

I'm not married and I have seriously considered this before - I went to a school run by a teaching order - but I just don't feel a calling to religious life, I feel much more called to married life. Also, I do have problems with sexual sin and as Saint Paul said "it is better to be married than to be tortured." (1 Co. 7:9)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.