Not following through with Lent plans

It was my intention to read the daily Mass readings every day during Lent. I failed. :( I started out strong, but then I had a baby on March 14th and got behind and kept forgetting to read.

Is this something I need to confess? I feel like I failed to keep a promise I made to The Lord and I feel guilty. I was just Confirmed, so please forgive me if this is a silly question.

In every Orthodox church at Pascha (what we call Easter) this homily of St. John Chrysostom is read. He's a Roman Catholic saint as well.

If any man be devout and love God, let him enjoy this fair and radiant triumphal feast. If any man be a wise servant, let him rejoicing enter into the joy of his Lord. If any have labored long in fasting, let him now receive his recompense. If any have wrought from the first hour, let him today receive his just reward. If any have come at the third hour, let him with thankfulness keep the feast. If any have arrived at the sixth hour, let him have no misgivings; because he shall in nowise be deprived therefor. If any have delayed until the ninth hour, let him draw near, fearing nothing. If any have tarried even until the eleventh hour, let him, also, be not alarmed at his tardiness; for the Lord, who is jealous of his honor, will accept the last even as the first; he gives rest unto him who comes at the eleventh hour, even as unto him who has wrought from the first hour.

The point is you celebrate the feast regardless of how much you've prepared. It's an opportunity, then, to remember Christ is truly the one Who does everything, not us. :)

But if it will bother you, confess it! Better to calm your conscience than live with even perceived guilt. Confession is always a good thing :thumbsup:

Hi Abrigham....Congratulations on your confirmation.

An Intention we make during Lent is a private devotional intention we make with the Lord. Our Lord who knows everything about us and understands our hearts, also does know and understand you brought LIFE into this world, and brought a soul with that life into this world that will be raised to know and worship Him. He also knows all the work (AND lack of sleep) entailed with that and understands when our Intentions fall short of our best made plans. Not being able to fulfill a private devotional promise is not a sin. It is a matter of prayer you can have with the Lord, and maybe you will want to try to continue the readings as you can, or considering how busy you are you may want to change to another devotional intention that better fits your schedule with baby.

I do recommend Jimmy Akin's website for his information about Lent. It answers this question you have posted, and many others as well about Lent and devotional promises.

Our Lord does so understand the intentions of our hearts, and does understand how our time is filled with babies, and jobs, and cooking, and cleaning....maybe as you are busy, you can lift up in prayer whatever you are dong for baby with the intention of doing that for the Glory of God (and any other private devotion you wish).

I went through something similar this Spring. I had the intention of reading the Bible every day during this Year of Faith. Then a few things changed that have me planning music, practicing music, reading the General Instruction of Roman Missal, studying Chant, and Latin....and with all that I've not kept up with my Bible Readings as I had planned.

One other thing, what you are doing right now as mother to your baby, is the most important job, vocation, occupation, this world knows. You are the "hand that rocks the cradle", shapes and forms that child's life and thus you have the greatest opportunity to change the world. Of course you want to incorporate some type of devotional that also enriches your soul (and mind) that fits your schedule, but try not to be too hard on yourself about this.

May God Bless you and your family.

Thank you! I'm so darn forgetful these days. I even forgot to bring my wedding ring (it currently doesn't fit) to our marriage validation. Ugh. Ready to have my regular brain back!

Caring for your baby is more important than anything else in God's eyes. Don't worry. Having said that, reading the daily readings only takes a few minutes.

usccb.org/bible/readings/

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.