Not having children will impact more people then you think

There is a group you might not think of when considering the impact of not having children.

I was reading about toy company in Tokyo that was going out of business because of steep decline in the number of children. To generate some income the toy company has started selling talking dolls to lonely seniors who will enver have grandchildren.

boingboing.net/2005/02/23/talking_dolls_for_ja.html

Talking toys have become such a hit that some elderly people have embraced them as substitutes for the children who have grown old and deserted entire neighborhoods in the rapidly greying country.
“I feel so good, g-o-o-d n-i-g-h-t,” the doll says before falling asleep if the owner pats it on the chest gently.

Or Yumel may ask, “Aren’t you pushing yourself too hard?” when it judges the owner has been going to bed too irregularly or not spending enough time playing with it.

“If you lead an orderly life, Yumel will be in a good mood, singing songs or pleading with you to do something like buying him toys,” Kiriseko said.

Who would have thought this would happen?

WOW that is pretty incredible

there is a phenomenon right here in the US. these are called ‘reborn’ dolls

people take certain ‘realistic’ dolls and strip them of their paint, and sometimes their hair. they repaint them and give them rooted newborn looking hair. they clip the fingernail area and then seal the end to make it look like real nails. the dolls are weighted to weigh like a newborn. their open mouths are cut out and back with red felt, as well as the nostrils…etc, etc, etc…

SPOOKY- if you see one, it is HARD to tell the differnce…

People who have no children, some who are infertile, and older menopausal women ‘adopt’ these ‘babies’ and care for them, push them in strollers, etc…

your post made me think of this as well…it is SAD

That is sooo sad! I know many childless people treat their pets like children, but that’s understandable…at least they can still offer some type of companionship and affection and are “needed” by their owners.

But dolls??? I just can’t see how someone who is not mentally disturbed could “adopt” a doll and treat it like it’s real.

The world is becoming a stranger and stranger place eveyday!!!

Malia

This reminds me of an old movie called “Zero Population Growth”. I think it was made around the 70’s (not sure) and was portraying a time in the future when the government would ban the birth of any child because the world was overpopulated. Each couple had their own abortion “machine” in their bathroom and if they conceived they had to stand in front of it and it kind of “zapped” the unborn child and killed it. A truly frightening and horrid movie. Anyway to fulfil the desire to have and hold a child, the couples had to go to a baby shop where they would pick out a life-like doll to take home and “raise”. It is one of the strangest and spookiest movies I have ever seen. I am stunned to hear that it is coming true in part. :frowning:

I would think living like that would make people insane. In fact, I think the culture of death is so contrary to a normal, healthy desire to live and bring forth new life that to work against life (abortion, contraception, euthanasia) is crazy-making.

That is just creepy- and sad. Reminds me of the crying doll I had in high school parenting class. When I asked the teacher if i really had to change the diaper and carry around a diaper bag, she was dead serious, “well you would for a real baby right?” I know the point of the exercise was to make you realize how much work a baby is- but come on, no doll is going to substitute!

But this phenomenon will likely spread to Western markets as most also have populations below replacement rate. And to think my mom didn’t like to take all 6 of us out because people would say “Don’t you know about overpopulation??”

That is sooo sad! I know many childless people treat their pets like children, but that’s understandable…at least they can still offer some type of companionship and affection and are “needed” by their owners.

But dolls??? I just can’t see how someone who is not mentally disturbed could “adopt” a doll and treat it like it’s real.

The world is becoming a stranger and stranger place eveyday!!!

Malia

There are many senior living communities that do not allow pets. These people are just incredibly lonely. Instead of thinking they are mentally disturbed, why not turn this around and go visit an elder :slight_smile:

That does not mean that if your parents are dead or if they have “plenty” of grandchildren that it would impact a couple’s consideration of whether to be open to more children…let alone whether or not a toy manufacturer is going to go out of business or switch to an older target group.

After all, an older person would be in the same boat if their children had a vocation to the religious or single life, and yet the impact would be different…that is, one assumes that those vocations are still out there making a sacrificial contribution to God and their fellows.

It is the absence of a self-sacrificing ethic of life that leads to such loneliness. If your child does not visit you because he is a missionary to Africa or she is cloistered, that is different than the case where they could share their lives with you, but choose not to. That goes whether or not they have been blessed with grandchildren to bring around or not…but the choice not to have children and the choice not to be overly involved in the life of one’s parents do not tend to be entirely separate things.

To generate some income the toy company has started selling talking dolls to lonely seniors who will enver have grandchildren.

People who have no children, some who are infertile, and older menopausal women ‘adopt’ these ‘babies’ and care for them, push them in strollers, etc…

This strikes me as perverted, in the same sense as “blow-up dolls” sold in adult stores. Blech.

On ppl in nursing homes at all-

there are studies showing that fewer children born=higher incidence you will end up in an nursing home and vice versa…

over population is such a crock, but you hear about it all the time. :frowning:

This reminds me of two movies…

Chucky (not the actual title)- the hooror film about the foul mouthed doll that kills.

The other is When Tom hank’s character is marooned on the Island and he makes the volley ball into a companion.(Name?)

Wilson. Wiiiiilsooon! Wilson come back!!!

Tom Hanks was robbed of his Oscar that year!

:rotfl:

This sad thread needed a little comic relief!

Too weird for words.

There is a big difference between incredibly lonely and disturbed. Lonely people can make friends, take up a hobby, volunteer, get a pen pal (or for the more tech savvy senior, join an internet group;) ) or any number of things to fill their lives.

But to treat a doll like a human baby? That is disturbing. I would be disturbed if an elder of mine did that. I would be disturbed if I did that as an elder…

Malia

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.