Not many teachers

In the Letter of James, Chapter 3 , Verses 1-2, James wrote:

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you realize that we will be judged more strictly, for we all fall short in many respects.        

Why would James write "Not many of you should become teachers"?:bible1:

I think that Paul does give some elucidation in Hebrews 5:1-10

“Every high priest chosen from among mortals is put in charge of things pertaining to God on their behalf, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. 2He is able to deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is subject to weakness; 3and because of this he must offer sacrifice for his own sins as well as for those of the people. 4And one does not presume to take this honour, but takes it only when called by God, just as Aaron was.”

As verse 4 explains, we can’t presume to become teachers, because not all are called.
If we presume, we could lead others astray. As parts of Christ’s mystical body, the Church we have different functions. Within the body, the eye must be the eye, the hand must act as the hand.

"To some, God’s “gift was that they should be apostles; to some, prophets; to some, evangelists; to some, pastors and teachers; so that the saints together make a unity in the work of service, building up the body of Christ. In this way we are all to come to unity in our faith and in our knowledge of the Son of God…If we live by the truth and in love, we shall grow in all ways into Christ, who is the head by whom the whole body is fitted and joined together, every joint adding its own strength, for each separate part to work according to its functions.” [Ephesians 4:11-13’15-16]

See 1 Corinthians 12:12-22

12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in the one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

14 Indeed, the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot would say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear would say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole body were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many members, yet one body. 21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 On the contrary, the members of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable"

Not many should because so much is at stake, peoples souls and so on. Also when someone is a teacher of the faith they are setting an example for others, and suspicious behavior can be a stumbling block for people. Lousy teachers are also a stumbling block because people who come to learn the faith from them and they receive poor teaching and errors, then they will look elsewhere for something better or they could spread the error that was handed to them. Its such a sad case when I hear from people who have been victims of rotten catechesis.

Copland 3, Thank you for the statement:
When someone is a teacher of the faith they are setting an example for others.
:tiphat::tiphat:

I have been a religious education teacher for 14 years and I can say that it is a huge responsibility. I teach junior high and high school and I realize that this is a pivotal point for those young people. Teaching is a gift that is given to some but not all. I can’t sing or usher (I get the baskets messed up during the collection) nor can I do the many things that others are gifted to do.

We really are all teachers by how we live our lives. What we teach may not be what God wills since some of our actions are not conducive to Christian behavior. So, I think that Paul is emphasizing the need for all of us to examine ourselves and see if we are resounding (catechesis) the gospel or are we expressing a rebellion that moves people away from God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.