Not putting money in the basket during Mass (despite the intention to)

Hi! This is my first post here, so I apologise in advance for any faux pas’s and, as English is not my first language, for the grammar mistakes and weirdly worded sentences.

I am a recent convert, so the question is reflective of my lack of knowledge (and I am quite embarrassed to be asking), but it keeps bothering me. I failed to put any money into the offertory basket last Sunday, and not because I intended to, but it suddenly felt too awkward to be seen doing it. I know my own tendency to be anxious in social situations, so I had prepared, tried to seize the perfect moment and just do it, but no. Could not do it this time. I have been thinking of it as an example of caring more about other people’s opinion than I care about God. But I am doubting myself and would appreciate any advice, opinions etc regarding the sinfulness of my (in)action.

In what circumstances would you say the line between venial and mortal sin would definitely be crossed?

P.S. I am so sorry, I might try to delete the post later, just because it all sounds so stupid and I am so so embarrassed. Would still appreciate your help.

You don’t have to put money in the basket on Sundays. You can mail your check to the parish or do online giving if your parish has it.

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply!
I might be overthinking a bit, but I have been bothered by the fact that I did have the intention and the opportunity and yet changed my mind at the last moment.

I give once a month for the entire month. Right now they are not passing the collection basket due to Covid 19 so we put it in the box on a table in the back.

3 Likes

I don’t think either applies in this case.

3 Likes

Just pray about it and all will be good. God knows your heart and you get comfortable with it. Remember it is for the Church to do God’s work in as many ways as possible. Father has told us many time you have to do ALL 3: pray, fast and give alms. All 3 work together. Also we shouldn’t give from our extra only we should give from our need. In other words sacrifice to give.

2 Likes

As mentioned above, online giving is easy and one you set it up, you only have to deal with it when you want to change the amount or update the credit card or bank information.

1 Like

Just take whatever you were going to donate this time and add it to the amount you plan to donate next time.

1 Like

I give online and never put money in the basket. If somebody is thinking less of you because you aren’t using the offeratory basket, it’s on them.

3 Likes

If you forgot and you feel too embarrassed to approach either the priest or the usher why not mail it in? Or you could combine it with next weeks offering.

2 Likes

Not putting money in the basket doesn’t even come close to the realm of sin. Not even close. I never put money in the basket - I give online. And if you don’t do it online, there is no obligation to give weekly. You can give one donation a month, for example. Try not to overthink this.

3 Likes

As long as you are donating (or providing other services, such as volunteering or in-kind), the manner in which you do it, is irrelevant. The only caveat is if you are in a parish that requires verification of weekly attendance for a benefit such as school tuition subsidy (we were in this situation). They want to make sure you are there, and not just writing a check or making an electronic transfer once a month. I always found this demeaning, but I understand their reasoning — a lapsed Catholic could simply enroll their children at the school, make a payment every so often, never attend Mass or participate in parish life, and get the subsidy. Apparently “the honor system” isn’t seen as feasible anymore.

But back to the point. I donate once a month online, and since we homeschool, I have no need for the envelope system. There is no need to put anything extra into the collection basket unless you just want to.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.