Not Quite Sure Where to Ask This--Perpetual Mass

I’m not quite sure where to put this, but I need some guidance. A friend of the family passed away on Monday evening from cancer. He has asked for no flowers, but I would like to do something for him.

He was a faithful and serious Catholic throughout his life. It is my understanding that he attended Mass until he became too ill to do so. I would like to have him mentioned in a Perpetual Mass, but am unsure how to go about this. I am not Catholic, but have attended Masses at my local parish several times as I am spending quite a bit of time familiarizing myself with the Catholic faith, and leaning toward Catholicism, Eastern Rite. However, the Parish I visit is not Eastern Rite, but Latin Rite.

I am vaguely familiar with the custom of Perpetual Mass for this reason. My paternal grandfather converted to Catholicism several years ago on his death bed (this was the seventies, and I think the priest worked with him on an individual basis for several months beforehand). My father later visited the parish he attended, and had his dad mentioned in a Perpetual Mass. My father, also, is not Catholic.

How exactly do I go about this? I need to call the priest, I know. What is the usual custom for this sort of thing? I would appreciate any advice and guidance you can give.

Thank you and God bless you all.

Hi,
I’m not sure if all parishes offer a perpetual Mass, but obviously if you call the rectory/priest’s office, the secretary should be able to give you more information.

If the parish does not offer it, you may be able to enroll a deceased friend or family member through another church or religious order. If your friend had a favorite religious order (like the Franciscans), and they have a local presence in your community, you could try contacting them.

Otherwise, some of the national shrines offer perpetual Masses. The Shrine of Divine Mercy in Massachusetts has some information online I believe. Information about perpetual Mass enrollments at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conceptions is available here: nationalshrine.com/site/c.osJRKVPBJnH/b.4764167/k.810D/center____center.htm (Make sure to scroll down using the scroll bar on the right to review the information about the perpetual Mass enrollment.)

I enrolled a family member at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception a few years back, and the card that I received to provide to the family was quite beautiful. (You will receive a large card with the deceased one’s name and information about his enrollment. It is provided to you so that you in turn can give it to the family.)

I’m sorry for your loss.

You can do it here:
oblatemissions.org/prayer-petitions/perp-mass-enrollment/

OR,

Most priests are happy to offer a mass for someone who has passed away. If he was in regular attendance at Mass then most likely he knew the priests at his parish so you could contact his parish.

I know that the Franciscan Mission Association (via the Conventual Franciscan Friars) offers perpetual masses, ie a Mass per month at the tombs of St Francis of Assisi and St Anthony of Padua. It is a form of enrolment membership to the Mission where the name you propose inscribes that member “in Perpetuity” in the pleas, prayers, sacrifices and Masses offered by the friars.

I don’t know the address in the USA but you should be able to Google your way to that information.

Thank you very much. I contacted the parish in my area and the secretary in the rectory asked me to come see her to set it up. I plan to do so Monday. Might drop by the chapel for a bit afterward, too. :thumbsup:

=historian31;9766423]I’m not quite sure where to put this, but I need some guidance. A friend of the family passed away on Monday evening from cancer. He has asked for no flowers, but I would like to do something for him.

He was a faithful and serious Catholic throughout his life. It is my understanding that he attended Mass until he became too ill to do so. I would like to have him mentioned in a Perpetual Mass, but am unsure how to go about this. I am not Catholic, but have attended Masses at my local parish several times as I am spending quite a bit of time familiarizing myself with the Catholic faith, and leaning toward Catholicism, Eastern Rite. However, the Parish I visit is not Eastern Rite, but Latin Rite.

I am vaguely familiar with the custom of Perpetual Mass for this reason. My paternal grandfather converted to Catholicism several years ago on his death bed (this was the seventies, and I think the priest worked with him on an individual basis for several months beforehand). My father later visited the parish he attended, and had his dad mentioned in a Perpetual Mass. My father, also, is not Catholic.

How exactly do I go about this? I need to call the priest, I know. What is the usual custom for this sort of thing? I would appreciate any advice and guidance you can give.

Thank you and God bless you all.

ALL that is necessary is to contact the Parish and request a Mass for the deceased.

An offering of $10.00 is usual by=ut this can be waved. Explain who you are and what you desire. it not be a problem.:slight_smile:

THANKS for the lovely thought and gesture.

As a FYI

Should you have any questions about our catholic Faith please send me a Private message and I’d be happy to discuss them with you.

God Bless you my friend,
pat /PJM here on this forum

Note that two different things are being discussed here.

1. A single mass may be requested from a parish or one of many missionary societies. In this case the priest will offer a specific mass for the intention of the individual [or family or group] specified.
    See Canon Law for THE OFFERING GIVEN FOR THE CELEBRATION OF MASS

2. Various societies offer Perpetual Masses where a single mass is celebrated periodically, daily I think but am not sure, for all those enrolled.

I think both are very beneficial, but felt it wise to point out the difference. To paraphrase Charlie Brown, I need all the masses I can get. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.