Not recieving the Blood of Christ

I understand why some faithful choose not to recieve from the cup, but I usually sit near where the cup is being offered.. After my time in prayer i can't help but notice those that pass by the cup. They hurry past, without acknowledging that our Lord is present there too! Sometimes i feel like stopping them and saying "hey..stop and at least notice He is there" with a bow. Am I wrong? I pray for them, and understand that they have just recieved the Body of Christ, but wish they would at least show a little reverance. What is your opinion?

Acknowledging that the Lord is there is important, but this acknowledgement need not manifest in any particular external action.

Given that a bow is not required, and given the way that communion is distributed, I would think that it would be wrong to think that any particular person walking by the cup and nor receiving is being irreverent.

I can see how it would bother you though, but I have to say that if I found it bothering me, I'd probably just sit somewhere else where I couldn't see it. We cannot know if the people are being irreverent or not, and even if we could that is a time for us to reflect on the fact that we just received Christ and anything that distracts from that at that time should be avoided.

(Which is not to say that it would be wrong to press, in appropriate ways, for ways of making receiving the Eucharist more outwardly reverent, only that we should not assume that we can interpret such outward signs as a lack of a bow, and that we should try to avoid dwelling on such things at that particular time.)

[quote="grammysue731, post:1, topic:316844"]
I understand why some faithful choose not to recieve from the cup, but I usually sit near where the cup is being offered.. After my time in prayer i can't help but notice those that pass by the cup. They hurry past, without acknowledging that our Lord is present there too! Sometimes i feel like stopping them and saying "hey..stop and at least notice He is there" with a bow. Am I wrong? I pray for them, and understand that they have just recieved the Body of Christ, but wish they would at least show a little reverance. What is your opinion?

[/quote]

If a person passes either before the Altar or before someone holding a Cup or a Ciborium where our Lord is present, they should at least acknowledge the Lord by bowing their head.

However, we receive the Lord in the Eucharist, regardless of the species (be it bread or wine) in body, blood, soul, and divinity.

Personally, when I consider that the presence of EMHC is irregular according to the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, I do not approach them to receive Holy Communion, I simply receive the consecrated host from the priest.

In general, it is nice that you have zeal for the Lord. However, remember that we ought to see Christ in our neighbor, especially in that one person passing by in a rush. How would you react if he was Christ, or Our Lady, or a saint that you know well? Probably you would not dare to question his or her love for God.

In this cases, and in general in Church, I always adopt this mindset: all the rules, from the greatest to the smallest, are written for me to follow, and that's it. Everyone else, as far as I know, is fully dispensed from them. So if I see anything erroneous or if anything bothers me, I will not be disturbed, but rather I'll keep recollected, that I may not be reason of scandal myself but rather edify others by my humble behavior.

[quote="R_C, post:3, topic:316844"]
In this cases, and in general in Church, I always adopt this mindset: all the rules, from the greatest to the smallest, are written for me to follow, and that's it. Everyone else, as far as I know, is fully dispensed from them. So if I see anything erroneous or if anything bothers me, I will not be disturbed, but rather I'll keep recollected, that I may not be reason of scandal myself but rather edify others by my humble behavior.

[/quote]

Interesting. That kind of how I look at things and often wondered if I was in error.

I would encourage you not to be distracted by what other people are or are not doing. When Jesus is dwelling inside us, we want to keep our thoughts on him rather than on what other people are doing or --especially -- speculating on what might be in their heart with regards to their reverence of the Lord.

Just to put your mind at ease, here is the relevant portion of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM 160):

When receiving Holy Communion, the communicant bows his or her head before the Sacrament as a gesture of reverence and receives the Body of the Lord from the minister. The consecrated host may be received either on the tongue or in the hand, at the discretion of each communicant. When Holy Communion is received under both kinds, the sign of reverence is also made before receiving the Precious Blood.

Note the key words: "when receiving Holy Communion". It makes no mention of doing so when one is not receiving or just passing by.

From the General Instruction’s section IV (Some General Norms for All Forms of Mass):

Genuflections and Bows

1. A genuflection, made by bending the right knee to the ground, signifies adoration, and therefore it is reserved for the Most blessed Sacrament, as well as for the holy cross from the solemn adoration during the liturgical celebration on good friday until the beginning of the easter vigil.
    During Mass, three genuflections are made by the priest celebrant: namely, after the elevation of the host, after the elevation of the chalice, and before communion. certain specific features to be observed in a concelebrated Mass are noted in their proper place (cf. nos. 210-251).
    If, however, the tabernacle with the Most blessed Sacrament is situated in the sanctuary, the priest, the Deacon, and the other ministers genuflect when they approach the altar and when they depart from it, but not during the celebration of Mass itself.

Otherwise, all who pass before the Most blessed Sacrament genuflect, unless they are moving in procession.

1. A bow signifies reverence and honor shown to the persons themselves or to the signs that represent them. there are two kinds of bow: a bow of the head and a bow of the body.
    [LIST=A]
    *]A bow of the head is made when the three Divine persons are named together and at the names of Jesus, of the blessed virgin Mary, and of the Saint in whose honor Mass is being celebrated.
    *]A bow of the body, that is to say, a profound bow, is made to the altar; during the prayers Munda cor meum (Cleanse my heart) and In spiritu humilitatis (With humble spirit); in the creed at the words et incarnatus est (and by the Holy Spirit . . . and became man); in the roman canon at the Supplices te rogamus (In humble prayer we ask you, almighty God). the same kind of bow is made by the Deacon when he asks for a blessing before the proclamation of the gospel. in addition, the priest bows slightly as he pronounces the words of the Lord at the consecration.
    [/LIST]

I would conclude that, given the general norms for bowing and genuflection combined with @Joe 5859’s post, you are not obliged to reverence the Precious Blood when passing by during the Communion Procession. Taking this a step further, I would also say that it seems that this is certainly reasonable considering the fact that after receiving the Body of the Lord, you are carrying Him within your body; each communicant becomes a tabernacle of the Lord. Now, taking this line of reasoning ad absurdum, if we were obliged to reverence the Precious Blood at this point during Mass, it seems that it would also be necessary to bow or genuflect as you pass every single person who received Holy Communion.

If you're going to go that far, why not bow to each person who has just received the eucharist as well. Each one of the consecrated hosts is also the body and blood of Christ, and it's in each one of those people who receive Him, they're all busy chewing the consecrated host and He's right there. And He's in us after we've just received. We'd be bowing and genuflecting all day. IMO, at that point in the mass, when people are receiving, we've all got a piece of Him, He's in the Host that's being distributed, and in the cup of the Precious Blood. He's everywhere, and it's just not practical to be bowing and genuflecting all over the place. If He's in us all, all around us, there's no need to be bowing when we're already reflecting and worshiping Him at that moment.

After I receive I'm concentrating on just receiving Him, and getting back to my seat so I can pray and thank Him, being in awe of that sacrament, and not hold up the line for everyone else. I don't receive the Precious Blood, I don't like alcohol and wine. And I don't like the idea of drinking from the same cup as the rest of the church. And I'm always afraid I'm going to spill it. That doesn't mean I don't respect Him in that species, or that I'm being rude. I bow my head as I walk by and I'm mindful of the whole experience.

Reverence is important, but it's not just restricted to the outward. IMO at that moment the inward reverence is just as important.

[quote="grammysue731, post:1, topic:316844"]

[/quote]

Our previous pastor used to insist that people bow when they pass the Chalice, regardless of whether they were receiving from it.

Yeah I notice that people tend to pass up on that too... I always go for it though because its there for a reason. Still though, why do people pass up the blood of Christ? :confused:

[quote="Skyhighblue34, post:9, topic:316844"]
Yeah I notice that people tend to pass up on that too... I always go for it though because its there for a reason. Still though, why do people pass up the blood of Christ? :confused:

[/quote]

Folks, who receive the Host, receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ under the species of bread alone. In no way do they "pass up the blood of Christ".

[/quote]

On Sundays, I attend my Byzantine parish. Communion is given under both kinds, so I receive both kinds there.

I often attend daily Mass at the Roman rite parish close to me. If the cup is offered, I pass it up. My reasons are varied, all of them practical. First, I don't really care for the taste of wine. I grew up in the 1970s, before it was common practice to offer the precious blood. I just never got used to receiving in that manner. . I usually have young children with me. A baby or toddler in my arms could very well swipe at the chalice while I was trying to receive. (When I receive the host, I have to hold grabbing hands out of the way. ) A three or four year old could easily run off in the time it would take to receive. These are just some of my practical reasons; I'm sure many people have other reasons.

I don't blame them. The Church focuses more on the Body of Christ than the Blood of Christ. Several weeks ago when I was giving the Blood the celebrant ran out of the Body and had to go back to the altar to get more. I was left standing there with no one coming up to me, but everyone was waiting in line to get the Body of Christ. I assume most of them don't know that once the bread and wine are consecrated they both become the Body and Blood of Christ, so receiving one is receiving both. Then during Adoration the Body is used, and during high flu seasons some churches will only offer the Body, so naturally the Blood is forgotten.:(

[quote="roadsend, post:10, topic:316844"]
Folks, who receive the Host, receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ under the species of bread alone. In no way do they "pass up the blood of Christ".

[/quote]

That is technically correct.

However, let's look at the matter from a different perspective.

You have just received the Host; and as you start to return to your seat and are passing the Cup, you realize that instead of a priest or a deacon or an EMHC holding the Cup, that it is Christ Himself holding the Cup, looking at you and saying to you "This is My Blood".

Are you going to say to Christ "Oh, thank you, but I have already recevied You, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity so no thank you."?

If Christ Himself were standing there offering you the Cup, would you still pass by?

[quote="otjm, post:13, topic:316844"]
That is technically correct.

However, let's look at the matter from a different perspective.

You have just received the Host; and as you start to return to your seat and are passing the Cup, you realize that instead of a priest or a deacon or an EMHC holding the Cup, that it is Christ Himself holding the Cup, looking at you and saying to you "This is My Blood".

Are you going to say to Christ "Oh, thank you, but I have already recevied You, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity so no thank you."?

If Christ Himself were standing there offering you the Cup, would you still pass by?

[/quote]

The Church that Christ founded has said definitively that when we receive the Host, we receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ under the species of bread alone.

I cannot imagine Christ standing there holding the "Cup" when he is fully present within those who have already received Him.

[quote="roadsend, post:14, topic:316844"]
The Church that Christ founded has said definitively that when we receive the Host, we receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ under the species of bread alone.

I cannot imagine Christ standing there holding the "Cup" when he is fully present within those who have already received Him.

[/quote]

Exactly. And I find it insulting when some suggest that we somehow receive "less" of Christ when we only receive the Sacred Host (not saying it's happening on this thread, but I have seen it in the past). Does receiving the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord twice under two different forms somehow grant us more graces? No.

I choose to receive only under one form because I fear an accidental spillage of Our Lord's Precious Blood. Forget about germs or catching colds; I am no germaphobe. My main concern is about one drop of the Blood of Christ falling off my chin onto the floor (and as clumsy as I am with my drinks at home, this is definitely a possibility).

I don’t believe that those who pass the precious Blood do not receive All of Christ, I just feel like the cup is Christ as well, and if He is there I will at least acknowledge that with a bow. I will try to be more focused on my prayers and not be distracted.

[/quote]

I am actually one of those people who is icked out by sharing a cup. I know that it gets wiped each time and is most likely just fine, but I have weird issues about stuff like that.

[quote="grammysue731, post:16, topic:316844"]
I don't believe that those who pass the precious Blood do not receive All of Christ, I just feel like the cup is Christ as well, and if He is there I will at least acknowledge that with a bow. I will try to be more focused on my prayers and not be distracted.

[/quote]

:confused::confused:
How would you ever even know what others are doing?
I make a point of never looking around since I am either preparing myself to receive our Lord or I have received him already and his Body, Blood. Soul, and Divinity is right inside me ... inside my mouth until I kneel down in my pew.
My advise is to pay 100% attention to God and no attention to others at this time. (Unless perhaps you are acting as an EMHC in which case ignoring others could be disastrous.:D)

What percentage of people would receive at Mass if ONLY the precious blood were offered?

I bow, but do not receive because I am an alcoholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.