Not Scripture, Yet Still Recognized...?

I recently and finally found that the Epistle of Barnabas is held
as, not on par with Holy Scripture, but still of certain and recog-
nized importance in the Catholic Church.

What other ancient writings like the
Epistle of Barnabas are recognized
by the Catholic Church?

The Protoevantelum of James is another the comes to mind, as well as the Didache.

What makes you say the Church recognises the Epistle of Barnabas as important?

[quote="thistle, post:3, topic:336910"]
What makes you say the Church recognises the Epistle of Barnabas as important?

[/quote]

I heard it from my little brother who is in the process of becoming a priest.

" Important " was my word, maybe the wrong word, but what I meant was I think
the Church acknowledges that the Epistle of Barnabas was most likely written
by Barnabas, containing authentic and valid teachings, something of that nature.

BUT IT ISN'T SCRIPTURE! NOT TO BE PLACED IN THE BIBLE.
I know that. :D

There’s also the Apostolic Constitutions, The Sheperd of Hermas, some Letters by Clement, etc.

Some of these writings actually provide some of the Sacred Tradition that isn’t found in the HOLY Scripture, like Thomas going to India, the name of Our Lady’s parents, I believe even the Dormition/Assumption is found among these non Canonical Scripture.

I should add, there’s nothing inherently wrong in reading any of the scriptures mentioned, the Clementine Letters in particular are worthy of being read(he was a Pope after all!), just rememeber they don’t hold the same weight as Sacred Scripture does, and avoid the Gnostic ones.

[quote="Magnanimous, post:5, topic:336910"]
There's also the Apostolic Constitutions, The Sheperd of Hermas, some Letters by Clement, etc.

Some of these writings actually provide some of the Sacred Tradition that isn't found in the HOLY Scripture, like Thomas going ot India, the name of Our Lady's parents, I beleive even the Dormition/Assumption is found among these non Canonical Scripture.

[/quote]

Sheperd of Hermas?!

I heard that it was a popular work, but is it really a respected work in the Catholic Church?
(:)Just expressing curiosity:)).

Yes, it had quite the impact on the early Church Fathers, so it was no surprised it showed up on a few canonical lists, but eventually it fell out of favor.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shepherd_of_Hermas

I thought the general view was that the author was from Alexandria but nobody knew who he was.

ntcanon.org/Epistle_of_Barnabas.shtml
newadvent.org/cathen/02299a.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.