Not sure what to do

I have just sinned doing what many young men do How do move forward and repent? I have not joined the Church yet so can’t do confession, how do i get forgivness from God?

One good way would be probably to pray an act of contrition in front of the Blessed Sacrament in the meantime. Are you in RCIA?

How to repent…

I think people do self pleasuring for different reasons …boredom, loneliness, habit. Try to look at WHY you are doing this. If you are bored, then try to find a solution, likewise if you’re lonely.

Can you go to daily mass and also do a daily rosary? When we fall more, that’s when we need to look to stronger measures.

Since you are a male, I offer this advice. I realize it’ll probably get shot down, but here it is. If you’re at home when this happens, if you feel tempted, take a cold shower.

Well, I say this because old timers suggested that. Also, look at the saints’ advice.

To defend his purity, Saint Francis of Assisi rolled in the snow, Saint Benedict threw himself into a thorn bush, Saint Bernard plunged into an icy pond… You…, what have you done?

What is the RCIA?

Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults…well, it’s for people who have already converted to Catholicism AND people who just want more information on the faith and haven’t decided on it, yet.

Big reason was boardem its snowing so not as much to do, the shower thing ill try, also been reading the drivers manuel boring enough to help me

Hi T,

When you are tempted to sin, try and distract yourself by thinking of something else, or by doing something else.

If you like to read and are interested, you may find it helpful to read up on the lives of the saints. They were tempted too, and suffered, too.

There are websites where you can sign up and get a reading for a “saint of the day” and read about them that way, too.

I like this book, and have recommended it:

“A Kiss from the Cross: Saints for Every Kind of Suffering,” by Rhonda De Sola Chervin, 1994.

Different chapters cover different kinds of sufferings for us, such as temptation, loneliness, doubt, failure.

Anyway, if you are interested in reading it, you can see if your local Catholic book store in your area has it. If they don’t have it, they can probably order it for you, or you can order it on-line, too.

When I am struggling, I also pray to my Guardian Angel for help and comfort.

An interesting thing is that even for fully initiated Catholics, it is possible to be forgiven of mortal sins without having already gone to confession under certain strict conditions. First, they must have the intention of going to confession at the next possible opportunity and confessing their sin then. Second, they must have what is called perfect contrition. Basically, there are two kinds of contrition or sorrow for ones sins, imperfect and perfect. Imperfect is when either part or all of the reason you are sorry is because you fear hell and don’t want to go there, you want to go to heaven instead. Perfect contrition is a sorrow and regret for your sins not because of what punishment they might bring you (pains of hell and loss of heaven) but solely because you know they offended God. It is a sorrow and remorse that comes entirely from a pure love of God without regard to any consequences you personally might suffer from. So, if you make an act of perfect contrition and resolve to confess this sin when you are able it will be forgiven now. The hard part of this is being able to tell whether or not you have actually made a perfect act of contrition. Which is ultimately something you must just hope for and trust in God. So one thing you can do is make a sincere effort to be sorry for your sin, not because of any consequences to you, but rather because of your love for God and the fact that your sin offends Him. God Bless

is feeling sorry that i disregarded the proper function of my sexuality a sorrow of perfect contrition, as i feel sorry for mis use of the human sexual organ, and using it in a way God disapproves of?

Guardian Angel, whats that?

I’m confused. You say you are a Methodist and about to join the Church. This is done by going through the RCIA program but you don’t know about RCIA.
How did you think you will be able to join the Church?

The OP is a 16 year old. I think saying he will soon join the Catholic Church is an error of enthusiasm on his part. I think he means that he is very interested in the Church and hopes to convert sometime in the future, but has not yet received formal instruction.

Okay. Thanks. I was not aware of his age.

Honestly I’m not sure. I’ve never heard people speak that way about it before. I’ll try to find some more information about it for you.
Another option is to speak to a priest about it.

It looks like I did not explain it accurately, I’m sorry for my misleading information. Here is a link to a better explanation. I hope you find it helpful. :slight_smile:

ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage_print.asp?number=370862

Correct, by " soon to become " I mean i am about to begin the process, This is one of my New Years resolutions(not the kind you ditch though)

I don’t think I explained that well enough, I am begining the process, My dad agreed to take me to and from Mass and all classes necessary Before I begin joining he does want me to go to a service first( understandable) I don’t have to be a member to attend mass right?

Hi T,

Angels are spiritual beings that God created. We each have a Guardian Angel assigned to watch over us.

Here is a link that explains what Guardian Angels are:

catholic.org/saints/angels/guardian.php

That really cool, I never knew that

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.