Not "The Shack" - what books can you recommend to help people realize that God really and truly loves them?

There’s a pretty vigorous thread about “The Shack” by William Paul Young elsewhere on the forum. So many people have commented that the book has helped them or others to know that God loves them (as the “Papa” character frequently says, “I’m especially fond of him/her”). However, those “pearls” are unfortunately mixed in with theological error and anti-Catholic sentiments.

How about we recommend good Catholic reading that conveys that sense of God’s tender love to each one of us? I’m a pretty new Catholic, so I’d love to hear what others think.

I recommend “The Return of the Prodigal Son” by Henri Nouwen.
henrinouwen.org/

Nowen definitely conveys the love of the Father in his examination of the three main characters in that story: the prodigal son, the father who welcomes him home, and the brother who struggles with the father’s unconditional love of the wayward one.

What else do you recommend? Both fiction and non-fiction ideas are welcome.
Thanks!!

I think the books about Mother Angelica are very good, and also Love & Responsibility by Pope JP2. I also have read a few books written by Bishop Fulton Sheen…I read The Shack, and found it to lack the fullness of Truth. I don’t believe that all books that speak about the love of God, need Catholic doctrine to be substantial, but The Shack seemed to want to portray Christianity as a subjective reality, with subjective truths, than objective Truth. I like books that are non-fiction about God, which is why I recommend books written by Pope JP2, and Bishop Sheen. I look forward to what others have to say here. :slight_smile:

One of the best books you can read is the Bible.

Kathy

because this man meant so much to me and I traveled to rome to be near him the book Crossing The Threshold Of Hope- Pope John Paul II
Please read,

I’ve read The Return of the Prodigal Son, but it lacks something that average Jane’s are probably looking for when they pick up The Shack. I can’t think of the word, but another way to put it is that it’s not a story, and I hear that “The Shack” is. I guess another thing it lacks against “the shlock” is that reading it doesn’t give them a shared experience with people they know.

It’s the same as replying to this thread that everyone should read the bible first before they read everything else. It doesn’t fill the same niche.

I’d recommend “Revelations of Divine Love” by Julian of Norwich. But it probably doesn’t fill the precise “niche” you are looking for!

Edwin

Not a specific book but,conversion stories of people in pain/misery and brought by our Lord into the light and his grace. Father Corapi is a glaring example.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.