Not-yet Catholic Confess for missing Mass

I’m entering the Church in April. I already had my general confession and confess regularly now (I’ve heard this is weird for a non-Catholic so early, but I love it.) I went on a vacation in January and missed Mass since I slept in - do I have to confess this to God, or is this in no way a sin since I’m not Catholic?

Also, am I obligated to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Fridays, etc? I already had meat today (I really didn’t know you were supposed to abstain on Ash Wednesday in addition to the Fridays) so do I need to confess it?

I’m going to honor God and fast/abstain anyway, but I would just like to know the rules. Thanks all! :thumbsup:

I ran the RCIA for several years. Never encountered your specific question, but in general, while it is good to follow the rules as closely as you can, it is my understanding that you are not bound by Church Laws until you make your profession of Faith. Check with a priest, but don’t worry about it.

[quote="Joe_Kelley, post:2, topic:187347"]
I ran the RCIA for several years. Never encountered your specific question, but in general, while it is good to follow the rules as closely as you can, it is my understanding that you are not bound by Church Laws until you make your profession of Faith. Check with a priest, but don't worry about it.

[/quote]

Corrrect.

depends what you mean by not yet Catholic. If you have not received baptism yet, I wouldn’t even bother worrying about it. I think the distinction would come as to whether you have received your first communion yet. Of course, it would probably be good if you checked with a priest.

While I am not going to contradict the “rulings” above, I am going to say that, if missing mass bothers you then confess it. You may not be technically bound, but you feel that it was a failing that should not have happened and, since you are going to confession anyway, go ahead and get it off your chest.

As to the meat issue, since you did not know the rule, then there is no sin and you do not need to confess this.

By the way - Congratualtions and Welcome Home!!

Peace
James

[quote="JRKH, post:5, topic:187347"]
.. if missing mass bothers you then confess it..

[/quote]

I've actually come to a realization very similar to your remark there. I used to wonder and ask "Is it wrong/a sin to do such-and-such?" For a long time I had that dilemna. Then one day it clicked for me. If I have to ask or wonder if something is wrong or if something is a sin, there's a good chance that I shouldn't do it. Period :)

:thumbsup:

And the more “well formed” your conscience becomes the more easily you will be able to distinguish. Just be careful that you don’t become “overscrupulous”.
I’m reminded of something that Fulton sheen said. It seems that as a young priest he was assigned to hear the confessions of the nuns at a convent. He said, “it was like being stoned to death with popcorn”. :smiley: The gist being that they confessed many sins but all “little ones”.

The thing to remember is that “sin” is not contained in a “rulebook”. The Rules help us discern and to better understand the common denominator of sin.
The rule of thumb that I use is whether a thought an action is geared “toward God”, that is “toward Love”. For in actuallity that is what “sin” is. It is a turning away from God; a violation of the Great commandments to Love God and to Love our neighbor.

You feel uncomfortable about missing mass because you have already given your heart to Him and are committed to entering His Church. As part of that you realize that, in Loving Him, you need to begin your week by Worshiping Him in the Mass. Failing to do this Loving thing causes you grief. This is a good thing. It shows that you are not “lukewarm” in your faith and desire to Love and serve God. So - while you should not unduly “beat yourself up” over it, you should confess it and then be guided by the council you receive from your confessor.

Peace
James

[quote="Jerok, post:1, topic:187347"]
I'm entering the Church in April. I already had my general confession and confess regularly now (I've heard this is weird for a non-Catholic so early, but I love it.) I went on a vacation in January and missed Mass since I slept in - do I have to confess this to God, or is this in no way a sin since I'm not Catholic?

Also, am I obligated to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Fridays, etc? I already had meat today (I really didn't know you were supposed to abstain on Ash Wednesday in addition to the Fridays) so do I need to confess it?

I'm going to honor God and fast/abstain anyway, but I would just like to know the rules. Thanks all! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

If you have already been given access to the Sacrament of Confession then your teachers/spiritual advisors feel you are Catholic without the formal entrance. You should act as a Catholic. To not do so would be an sin against your conscience , I would think.

You can't help what you didn't know. You should be getting better instruction on some of this. However you have access to places like Catholic Answers so you have no excuse to be ignorant in the future unless you really try to get answers and no one can help you.
You could also look up good catholic teaching on other websites such as the EWTN site.

ewtn.com/faith/lent/index.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.