Notre Dame hires Brian Kelly

I know football usually doesn't get a lot of play in this forum, but I can't help but find Notre Dame's hiring of Brian Kelly interesting/sad.

First of all, I am a Buckeye fan (as you may have guessed) but Notre Dame has always been a strong #2 for me, #1 before I attended OSU. It especially meant a lot to the older generations of my family who weren't college educated (or even high school educated for those who had to leave school early to support the family) and felt that Irish Catholics at Notre Dame were "on their team."

Anyhoo, in the wake of ND inviting Barrack Obama to give the commencement address this year and honoring him with of all things an honorary Doctorate of Law degree, I find it very sad that ND would hire a football coach who is openly Pro-Choice (at least from what I hear from sports talk radio). I would have hoped they would be especially sensitive to that. It makes it difficult for me to have any interest in Notre Dame anymore in any respect. I realize it is a football coaching position and not a position in the Theology department, but it still in my opinion is a slap in the face to Catholic ND supporters, especially given the very recent past.

Even looking at it from strictly a football standpoint, I do not see much difference between the team he put together at UC and the one that ND had this year. Great offense, terrible defense, the one difference being UC found a way to win the close games and ND found a way to lose the close games. Those types of things even themselves out over time if your team cannot be guaranteed of stopping the other late in a close game. I don;t see how ND will be any better off for hiring him from a football standpoint, though you never know until they play the games I guess.

Thoughts?

Successful Catholic coach.! heck anybody beats weis.

Not A Big ND fan Before this won’t change it…I only really root for them against SC or Your Buckeyes or Michigan…The Best Coach in America Still Resides in HAPPY VALLEY…WE ARE PENN STATE

[quote="catholicbuckeye, post:1, topic:179277"]

Even looking at it from strictly a football standpoint, I do not see much difference between the team he put together at UC and the one that ND had this year.

[/quote]

The obvious difference is the record of wins and losses. That's all. Simple.

i just want to know how this was an extensive search? It last all of ten days and the bowl games haven't even been played yet....

sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4732205

ND is always #1 in my heart because of my granddads love for ND but the school is not behaving very good lately. Either embrace being catholic or move on....

The last time Notre Dame hired its coach from Cincinnati, it wasn't pretty.

[quote="Digitonomy, post:6, topic:179277"]
The last time Notre Dame hired its coach from Cincinnati, it wasn't pretty.

[/quote]

Yeah but that was a high school coach. This is a successful college coach (unlike everyone ND hired since Holtz).

Rather smugly, ND is distancing herself from the Catholic Church. Much say, although a bit ashamed to say it, that I wish someone would throw a rotten tomato at Fr. Jenkins if he shows up in DC this January. It seem’s he’s an actor.

[quote="RobbyS, post:8, topic:179277"]
Rather smugly, ND is distancing herself from the Catholic Church. Much say, although a bit ashamed to say it, that I wish someone would throw a rotten tomato at Fr. Jenkins if he shows up in DC this January. It seem's he's an actor.

[/quote]

That seems completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread. It also seems completely uninformed.

Perhaps, but I think the main jab is that the largest, most blatant Pro-Choice President EVER to be elected in the United States was invited to a Catholic campus and given an honorary degree. Do what you want with your speakers, but an honorary degree? That’s what got me. However you are right, it is a little bit irrelvant.

Besides the fact that Kelly is also Pro-Choice.
But it’s not like Kelly is going to be guiding the morals of the school, just the football team. Of course Notre Dame’s image isn’t doing that well as it was, so hiring a Pro-Choice coach is like icing on the cake.

Still irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

By the way, the Chair of the ND Theology department was named to the International Theological Commission (a group of about 30 people from the whole world) and named a Knight of St. Gregory by Pope Benedict the XVI acting on the recommendation of Bishop D’Arcy, for what it’s worth regarding ND’s “Catholicity”.

Oh no I'm not challengeing the Catholicity of Notre Dame. I'm just saying that the reason what was mentioned earlier might even be relevant has to do with Kelly's pro-choice views and then relating them back to Obama.

P.S. I did not know that about the theology chair. :D

How did it even come up that he was pro-choice? He's a football coach for crying out loud. Does he do fundraising for Planned Parenthood between recruiting trips in the offseason or something? :shrug:'

Of course it's a bad thing if he is indeed pro-choice, but how can anyone even begin to assume that was something on the Athletic Department's radar in their search? Do you think they ask about candidate's feelings about gay marriage or embryonic stem cell research?

It probably wasn't in the Athletic Department's radar. He's a football coach for crying outloud, and while I understand while people can be upset about the Pro-Choice image Notre Dame has been alluding to lately, morals and theology is not Kelly's primary concern.

As a football coach he's probably fine though.

And as for how it came up...probably media. Notre Dame gets so much "attention" (mostly negative in my opinion) that it was bound to come up.

Kelly going to ND isn’t a surprise. Nor should it come as a surprise to anyone who has followed his career. I am no Kelly aficionado but, reading his bio should leave no doubt that if Kelly got the money and perks from ND he’d jump. After all Cincinnati is the third head coaching position he has had since 2002. I think his leaving before the bowl game is sleazy. He did it before at Central Michigan when he went to UC so he does it to UC going to ND. Personally, I think he ought to stay and finish what he started. But, I suppose starting up the recruiting shtick and getting his staff together is going to be taking up a whole lot of Dec. so no time to lose. What’s more interesting is if he is going to take his staff with him or will UC promote someone from the remaining coaches and try to keep Kelly’s staff or are they going to bring in an outsider and his whole posse.

[quote="stevegravy, post:15, topic:179277"]
Kelly going to ND isn’t a surprise. Nor should it come as a surprise to anyone who has followed his career. I am no Kelly aficionado but, reading his bio should leave no doubt that if Kelly got the money and perks from ND he’d jump. After all Cincinnati is the third head coaching position he has had since 2002. I think his leaving before the bowl game is sleazy. He did it before at Central Michigan when he went to UC so he does it to UC going to ND. Personally, I think he ought to stay and finish what he started. But, I suppose starting up the recruiting shtick and getting his staff together is going to be taking up a whole lot of Dec. so no time to lose. What’s more interesting is if he is going to take his staff with him or will UC promote someone from the remaining coaches and try to keep Kelly’s staff or are they going to bring in an outsider and his whole posse.

[/quote]

I'm with you on that. Bailing on your team right before a big bowl game doesn't say much for his character. I'm sure there was a way he could still get the ND job, and also coach his team at the bowl game.

[quote="diggerdomer, post:4, topic:179277"]
The obvious difference is the record of wins and losses. That's all. Simple.

[/quote]

I do think his track record of winning is a plus and his 2 national championships at a D-2 school bodes well. Tressel won 4 championships at D-1AA level before getting hired at OSU - knowing how to build a winning program is a big thing.

I thought it was relevant (the Pro-Choice angle). Notre Dame is a Catholic institution and there are certain standards to that end that it should uphold. One of the standards that isn’t exclusively religious in nature that ND football upholds is the academic integrity of the program - their players by and large graduate and ND holds higher academic standards for their athletes than any other major college program. Many in the sports media have claimed this has held ND football back and kept them from getting prized recruits - I applaud ND for holding true to that high academic standard. But as a Catholic institution, I would hope that there would be other standards - Catholic ones - to which it would hold it’s staff as well.

His pro choice stance has been vocalized by him. that in itself makes it an issue..... I was so sad to hear about that. What is it about Boston Catholics in public life that invokes such a strong opposition to Church teaching?
That being said. I do wish the irish well but BSU will have a Championship before ND.

I tend to agree, though whether he’s pro-choice or not and how that should factor in to the decision would imho depend on exactly how or if or to what what extent his views on abortion are public/publicized.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.