Nov 11,2019 The murder of a priest and his Dad

Both Father Hovsep Bidoyan, from Qamishli, and his biological father were killed while traveling to visit to the Armenian Catholic Church in Deir Ezzor, a city in eastern Syria.

and
https://defence-point.com/2019/11/11/isis-murder-armenian-priest-and-his-father-in-al-zir-syria/

priest%20killed%20with%20dad

Eternal rest grant unto them Oh Lord and let perpetual light shine upon them.

13 Likes

This is very sad.
I will pray for the souls of this poor priest and his father.

7 Likes

May his martyrdom lead more people to believe in Christ.

2 Likes

Eternal memory!

Blessed martyr Archbishop Paulos Faraj Rahho, pray for them!

48%20PM 27%20PM

3 Likes

It could be that he is in a better position to help us.

Why do Armernians live in Syria?
I thought they lived in Armenia or Europe and USA.

They live there because during the Armenian Genocide many Armenians, especially women, children and elderly, were forcibly marched out of Armenia to the Syrian Desert by their Turkish captors. (The able-bodied men were mostly just killed.) The ones who didn’t die on the march were forced to live in Syria as the Turks would not let them live in Armenia. Some of the descendants of those people still live there, where their ancestors were forced to live.

Because of the Armenian Genocide, there are communities of Armenians in several MIddle Eastern countries as well as in Russia and Australia, in addition to the communities in Europe.

6 Likes
1 Like

The Middle East (Especially Lebanon) has a large Armenian population as a result of certain actions that took place in the Ottoman empire, I will leave it at that.

2 Likes

As other have already mentioned, Armenians have been living in the Middle East for a long time. I recall at least one queen of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem who was Armenian. There is an Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem.

During the Armenian Genocide, the Turks deported the Armenians from their ancestral homeland and forced them to go on “death marches” to the Syrian desert. Those who survived the journey were killed when they reached Syria. Many escaped, however, and a huge number ended up in Lebanon where we Maronites hid them in our monasteries. The descendants of these escapees are the Armenian Lebanese community.

5 Likes

I would note that Armenians have also been living in Jerusalem since the 4th century when Armenian monks settled there, and one quarter of the city is called the “Armenian Quarter”. Politically, it acts in alignment with the Christian Quarter, as the Armenians are Christians, but unlike most other Christians in Jerusalem they are neither Arab nor Palestinian, so they have their own traditional quarter.

We ate in a pizza restaurant there and it had a large graphic mural covering one wall memorializing the Armenian Genocide.

5 Likes

May God rest their souls.
Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.

3 Likes

Eternal memory!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.